Casting Scoop: Captain America 2

February 8, 2013 22 Comments

Since the sequel of Captain America is something many of us are looking forward to. As a result, I’m sharing its most recent cast member. Because of how the first movie ends, we are all probably aware that Captain America is without his lady love. Sadly, they were parted by unforeseen circumstances, so names like Emilia Clarke, Teresa Palmer, Imogen Poots, and also Jessica Brown-Findlay are in the Casting Scoop: Captain America 2 rumor mill! This week we learn Emily VanCamp will play, presumably, Sharon Carter and Steve’s new love interest.

RELATED FILM REVIEW | ‘CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR’: Dueling Friends Concludes with Poignant Messages of Patriotism and Friendship
Casting Scoop: Captain America 2 #FWarchives Click To Tweet
Casting Scoop: Captain America 2. Chatting about the new rumors for casting in the upcoming Captain America sequel. All text is © Rissi JC

Emily starred in the popular teen drama, Everwood as well as the drama, Brothers and Sisters. More recently she played a teacher in the moving drama Beyond the Blackboard and is currently starring in the soapy ABC drama, Revenge. Here is a clip of Emily in Revenge.

Joining Emily is Cobie Smulders, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Samuel L. Jackson and of course, Chris Evans. What do you think of this news? Seeing Syb-, err, I mean, Jessica in the role would have been grand but I suppose I’ll like Emily given what an… obsessive character she plays on Revenge.

• Rosie February 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I cannot wait for Captain America 2! I do not watch Revenge, but if you think she'll be a good addition as an actress, I'll trust your judgement. ;)

• Rissi February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Neither can I, Rosie! Looks like it's shaping up to be a good one. :)

Have you ever seen Beyond the Blackboard? That is one Emily stars in and she's quite good in it. :) I'm hoping this character will be a worthy leading lady to Steve's leading man 'cause he's such a good person.

• Rosie February 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM

But of course! :D The writers seem to know what they're doing, thank goodness.

No I haven't. I hope so too, I'd hate to see Steve paired with someone not good for him or his morals.

• Rissi February 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM

So long as the writer's keep giving fans fun sequels, I am all for these movies. :)

Save for one or two ladies, I really don't feel like the leading women in superhero movies are "worthy" of the hero. Usually I like them fine but they seem to get on my nerves. A lot. LOL. :D

• Rachel February 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I can't wait to see captain America 2!

• Rissi February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Neither can I, Rachel. It's looking good. :)

• Charity February 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

"Sybil" is starring in a movie with Russell Crowe and Colin Farrel — "A Winter's Tale," which is a fairy tale set in NYC at the turn of the century. So even though we won't see her woo Captain America, at least next year we'll still to see her on the big screen.

• Rissi February 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I know! I've been seeing all those headlines/photos and CANNOT wait! It looks like it could be a really good one. Plus in addition to Jessica, the cast is awesome. Love those fairy-tales!

Thanks, Charity!

• Charity February 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I need to read the book. There's a waiting list at the library for it, but I'm sure to get my hands on it before next year. ;)

• Rissi February 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Goodness, I hope so, Charity! Considering it's a book, I should try to read it also. Sometime. It seems to be a trend I am liking nowadays – to read the book first. :)

• Charity February 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

And… literally three minutes after I wrote that, my library sent me an e-mail to inform me it's waiting for me at the front desk. The line suddenly got short! I like it! =D

I do like to read the book first (unless it's a classic, in which case… um, that might take awhile), that way I can see how it was changed from the source material (and know what's coming!).

• Rissi February 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Oh, yay! This is awesome, girl! Glad to hear you are liking the book. Hope it ends well. *bites nails*

Yeah, me too. I don't generally read classics anyway but am finding that I enjoy reading modern fiction prior to seeing the movie. It's been something new for me. Lovin' how much "bigger" the adaptation seems as a result.

• Carlyn Brody February 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I'm happy that Emily got the role. I have not watched any of Emily VanCamp's other works so I am looking forward to seeing her in a movie role.

• Rissi February 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Oh, good! Glad you are looking forward to this casting, Carlyn. I think the role is in good hands with Emily. *crosses fingers*

• Jemimah C. February 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That sounds so exciting! Apparently, Sharon is Peggy's niece–if I read correctly…which will make things all the more interesting in Captain America. Plus we'll get to see more of SHIELD and Bucky (even if he's the antagonist this time).

• Rissi February 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Doesn't it, Jemimah!? That is my understating about the character of Sharon also. While I wish that Peggy would remain as the leading lady (writer's could totally make it happen!), I'll not mind meeting Sharon. My only thing is hoping she is worthy of Steve. He's such a good person. :)

SHIELD rocks. Cannot wait to see all of the individual movies as well as, eventually, Avengers 2.

• Renee (SteelerGirl83) February 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I just found Revenge this season and binge watched the entire first season over the winter TV break so I could get caught up in time to watch the rest of season 2. I love Emily so I'm really excited to see her in Captain America although it might be hard for me to separate her from her "revengy" character since she plays her so well LOL!

xoxo,
    Renee C.

• Rissi February 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No way!? You just got hooked on Revenge, Renee!? Girl, where have you been!? LOL! Isn't it totally fabulous? I say if you are looking for easily likeable character's, you are out of luck but as far as story-telling/scripts go, this ABC show is excellent. Hope you continue liking it…

You are SO right – this character will definitely be different for Emily. She should be excellent though. Loved her in the Hallmark, Beyond the Blackboard; she was really sweet in that if you haven't seen it…

Glad you stopped by, Renee – as always!

• Chasity S. February 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Aww! I would've loved it if Jessica Brown-Findlay (sweet Sybil) was Captain America's new love interest! She would've done so well! =/

• Rissi February 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I hear ya, Chasity! Me too. Seeing Jessica in this role would have been super neat – and she would have been superb. I guess I'll have to settle for seeing her in the new fantasy movie next year. :)

• Lianne February 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Ooh, thanks for the news Rissi! =) Much as I enjoy Emily VanCamp's stuff (Everwood, Brothers and Sisters), I'm not sure how I feel about her as Sharon Carter. I think I'm with Chasity's comment, I would've liked it had Jessica Brown-Findlay had gotten the role. I initially thought she was a little too sweet for the role (though her turn in Misfits shows she could play a different disposition) but Jessica looks like she could be related to Hayley so I was for it.

Nonetheless, I'm excited for Captain America 2! =D I think it's following the Ed Brubaker comic I read recently–and if so, I'm totally psyched, it's a totally different territory (emotionally) for the Cap *nods*

• Rissi February 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Ironically, I've not seen Emily's earlier work. In the later roles, I've seen she can play two completely different personas so those expectations are high! Oh, seeing Jessica would have been divine. She's really a great talent. As for the "sweet" personalities or looks, Emily has that to some extent also. Her voice is very "syrupy" (or innocent/shy/sweet) in my opinion. :)

So am I, Lianne! Cannot wait to see what this next chapter brings for Captain A. That's great to know about the story line (I think the subtitle is "The Winter Soldier" if that helps) – I'll enjoy seeing Steve involved emotionally – he's such a neat guy. :)