More New Casting: Cinderella

April 30, 2013 24 Comments

More New Casting: Cinderella. Chatting more STILL Cinderella casting updates! Which are you more excited about? Text © Rissi JC

Good afternoon, everyone! I sure am appreciating all your fun comments on the music post from this morning. If you have anything to add, please “click” over there. The purpose of this post is simply to give a brief update on the Cinderella news we’ve been chatting about – a Cinderella has been found! So… The Hollywood Reporter and various other sources are confirming that actress Lily James has been “fitted with a glass slipper” for Disney’s upcoming live-action version of Cinderella.

MORE NEW CASTING: CINDERELLA

Here’s what Hollywood Reporter is saying:

Disney has found someone to wear the magic slipper.

Lily James (Downton Abbey) will star as Cinderella in Disney’s upcoming live-action interpretation of the classic tale.

Kenneth Branagh will direct, with Cate Blanchett playing the evil stepmother.

More New Casting: Cinderella #FWarchives Click To Tweet

James played Lady Rose McClare on season three of Downtown Abbey. She will reprise her role for season four. James’ previous film work includes playing Korrina in Warner Bros.’ Wrath of the Titans.

I know some fans aren’t fond of Lily’s character on ‘Downton’ so this may affect opinions on this casting. I think it’s wonderful! Now, who will be cast opposite of Lily as Prince Charming… Tell, me, what do you all think?

• Ella April 30, 2013 at 6:51 PM

OH GOSH! Is Lily James Rose on Downton?! yep…..my opinion is definitely swayed….and not in a good way.

• Rissi April 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM

That she is, Ella. Hopefully she'll turn in such a drastically different and awesome performance, you'll completely forget about that "other" character, Rose. ;)

• Ruth A. April 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I think it'll be great to see her in something so different. Thanks for the heads up!

• Rissi April 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Me, too, Ruth! This could be very good. Excited to see who else joins the cast. :)

• Charity U April 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Having not seen Downton yet {{ :( }}, my opinion is on her looks alone…and while to me RIGHT NOW she looks a little old and…sultry? Overall, I'm not disappointed. SO excited to hear who PC will be! :) Oh. Ben Barnes…he'd be adorable if they could make him look young enough. He was Prince Caspian in the 2008 and 2010 movies…prefer him by far in the '08. A PCharming who looked like that? Yes. ;)

• Rissi April 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM

That "sultry" look is played up with her hairstyle and the lighting – in Downton she's very "sweet" looking and blonde, so that edginess is lessened. Likely she'll have a sweeter look as Cinderella also unless, as with SWATH and Mirror Mirror, Disney makes this Cinderella into a sassy heroine. :)

Oh, yes! Ben Barnes is adorable. He'd do well in this role and I think he still looks young enough.

• Charity U May 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I haven't seen him much since VDT in 2010, and there his hair was all wrong. He's past 30 now…33, maybe? But yup. I sure wish they'd make him work! :D

• Rissi May 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Slap a haircut on Barnes and he'd be one handsome Charming. This point is underscored by the recent movie he was in 'The Big Wedding.' ;) He was also in another 1920's costume drama that's funny but… not great.

• Kellie April 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I googled it and found a picture of Lily James when her hair was blond and she looks actually happy and excited, so after seeing that picture, I'm a bit more okay with her being Cinderella. And I have to sneak in a quiet little "here here!" to go along with Charity U's thoughts on Ben Barnes. ;)

• Rissi April 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Good for you, Kellie – that is the sort of picture I should have added here also but most of her "blonde" photos were of her 'Downton' role and I just thought that I wanted an independent photo as opposed to her character, Rose. If her acting in Downton Abbey is any indication, she'll do fine as Cinderella.

Now, I am *dying* to see who will play opposite her. Still not warming to Richard Madden. We'll see how it plays out! Charity is right: Ben would be great! He's adorable. ;)

• Kellie April 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Not to sound too disparaging against another human being, but I just googled Richard Madden to see what he looks like…and eeeck!! Not anywhere near Prince Charming material!

• Rissi May 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I know what you mean, Kellie – he is not my idea of Prince Charming either. However, if he is cast, I'll try to go with an open mind. And who knows, maybe once the promotional material shows up, I'll think differently. ;)

• Charity U May 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Yes. Open mind. I'll try anything once. :)

• Rissi May 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

So far, no one has been cast so dreaming of ones ideal Prince is still allowed. ;)

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com May 1, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Ken is in? NICE! He takes his stuff seriously. And I adore Cate! Fabulous news.

• Rissi May 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I've heard many people are happy about Ken being a part of this production, Juju, so that bodes well for this re-make. As for Cate!? Yes, indeed, she will own this role. :)

• Kara May 1, 2013 at 3:58 AM

I'm definitely happy with this news! I do believe that she has the cute factor along with being able to dress up beautifully. So perfect fit in my opinion! :) And YES! Oh yes to Ben Barnes! ;D

• Rissi May 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Agree, Kara – I think Lily will be wonderful. She can be "cute" and also very "classy."

I'd LOVE to see Ben in something again. He was awfully cute as Prince Caspian. ;)

• Jemimah May 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Ugh, I should really get along to watching that season of Downton Abbey with Lily James. I've never seen her act before, so I'm not sure what to expect. As a brunette, her features come out rather sharp for a Cinderella, but, as the Google images reveal, she makes a perfect one when her hair's all blond and curly. Which I'm guessing they'll do to her. Personally, I'm excited to see Cate Blanchett as the evil stepmother the most.

It's really neat that the filmmakers are reviving old Disney films and making them into 'real people/live action' versions. Adds a new, fun twist to things.

• Rissi May 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Girl, you've not yet seen the last series of 'Downton'!? I do understand your reservations but once you "get past" the sorrow, it's a great season. If you decide to see it, hope you like. I think as a blonde, Lily looks the part of Cinderella and I am sure she will adopt that hair color (as she has in 'Downton') for this new role.

You and I both are excited about Cate, Jemimah. She'll be wonderful and is one talented actress. :)

Disney can re-make these classic animated movies as often as they want – like you, I am loving it. Though, neither were Disney, it was sure fun to see two very different albeit unique spins on the Snow White fairy-tale.

• birdienl May 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I think it might be a good choice. In this picture she might look a little edgy, but I think the picture of her you posted in a previous post, she had a really princess-like look. Besides, I always like it when period drama actors are cast in 'big' productions!

Just slightly off topic, but don't you think it's a pity they never picked up the story thread of the Cinderella story in Once Upon A Time? I guess it doesn't fit in the larger story of this season, but I sure would like to know what happened to Prince Thomas in FTL.

• Rissi May 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Judging by her looks and performance in 'Downton,' I think Lily will do this role justice. She does look "edgy" in this photo though as you say, she can look appropriately princess-ly and if she adopts a lighter color hair, she'll look perfectly suited. You make a great observation, Birdienl! I like the idea of seeing Lily in this just because it'd be a "big" production – and that can be quite a test as my understanding is, the two (small vs. big screen) are very different. That is always interesting. :)

I agree: the Cinderella story in 'Once' would be delightful to re-visit – very much so. It saddens me that she hasn't played a bigger role as Belle or Mr. Gold or even Pinocchio. Hopefully we'll learn more about this couple as the seasons progress. One can only wish. :)

• Susan Francino May 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Oooh they're doing a Cinderella? How fun! Honestly, I'm most distracted by Blanchett as the stepmother–I'm used to her in really pure, beautiful, honest roles…so this will be interesting.

Coming across your blog for the first time–now following, and nice to meet you! :)

• Rissi May 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We are super excited about this re-make around here, Susan – as this comment thread attests too. ;) It shall be interesting to watch its progress and the best part of all will be seeing the promo material once it becomes available. Cate plays a fiercer role in the Elizabeth movies so while that is still a "good character," I think she'll be excellent. Hopefully. :)

Wonderful to meet you, Susan! It's lovely to have you along as a follower – I sure hope you enjoyed your visit and come by often. :) Thanks for the follow and this great comment.