Introducing the von Trapp Children

November 6, 2013 16 Comments

Afternoon, readers! So way back when we talked a lot about the casting of Carrie Underwood and Stephan Moyer as Maria and Captain von Trapp in the upcoming live telecast of NBC’s The Sound of Music. Now, the casting of the children has been introduced. In case you missed the headlines in this past week, here is the announcement. nbc’s sound of music von trapp children

Introducing the von Trapp Children #FWarchives Click To Tweet
Introducing the von Trapp Children. Sharing NBC's Sound of Music von Trapp children cast! Do you see anyone you're excited to meet? Text © Rissi JC

“The Sound of Music Live!” stars six-time Grammy Award winner Carrie Underwood as Maria and “True Blood” star Stephen Moyer as Capt. Georg von Trapp. Moyer recently headlined in the stage version of the musical “Chicago” at the Hollywood Bowl.

Also co-starring are Tony Award winners Audra McDonald (Mother Abbess), Laura Benanti (Elsa Schrader) and Christian Borle (Max Dettweiler).

The young cast set to play the von Trapp children are Ariane Rinehart (Liesl), Michael Nigro (Fredrich), Ella Watts-Gorman (Louisa), Joe West (Kurt), Sophia Caruso (Brigitta), Grace Rundhaug (Marta) and Peyton Ella as young Gretl.

The live holiday spectacular is based on the original 1959 Broadway production of “The Sound of Music,” starring Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel, with a book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. The iconic story centers on a young woman who leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the seven children of a naval officer widower.

Since the closest I’ve gotten to Broadway is local live productions (which have actually been quite good!), I am unfamiliar with these names and faces. That being said, I’m still thrilled to watch this play out.

Your turn. Are you excited about this upcoming production? What do you think about NBC’s Sound of Music von Trapp children cast? Do you recognize any of them? Are they in anything you like? Will you be watching NBC’s Sound of Music: Live! Comment all of your thoughts below.

amateur graphic designer. confirmed bookaholic. bubbl’r enthusiast. critical thinker. miswesterner. social media coordinator. writer.

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com November 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Ooooooooooo fab fab. I can't wait.

• Rissi November 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM

*HIGH FIVE*

• Jillian November 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I'm very excited to watch this!

• Rissi November 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM

You and I both, Jillian – I very much look forward to discussing it once we've all seen it. :)

• Sereina November 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Lots of unfamiliar names there, but I'm still really interested in seeing it! I just have a feeling that a lot of people are going to make a big fuss about it not being like/as good as the Julie Andrews version, but they've got to remember that it's a stage version, not the movie version. Since really like a bunch of Broadway stuff, I'm really excited to see the stage version. :D

• Rissi November 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Right on, Sereina! I SO agree with you – fans have to separate this since it's not really a "proper" remake – it'd be the same as going to see The Sound of Music on Broadway only we can see it from the comfort of our living room. Is there anything better!? Carrie Underwood has even been quoted as saying that she doesn't want to take anything away from Julie Andrews portrayal of Maria.

Hoping it'll be fun either way – I already love Carrie and whether or not she'll do the part justice, at least we know the girl can sing. :)

• Lilly Jackson November 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

wow! Carrie Underwood as Maria?! Well that'll be interesting! =D
    Thanks for sharing, i had NOO idea this was going on!
    Lilly
    wildflowersinbloom.com

• Rissi November 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It's looking fun to me, Lilly so I do have high expectations for it. Plus I do love Carrie as a country music star. :)

• Heidi November 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Awesome! I love the original movie but I also enjoy Carrie Underwood, so I'm looking forward to seeing the remake!

• Rissi November 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Me, too, Heidi! So many fans are skeptical but with it being a live production rather than a film remake, I think it'll work just fine. :)

• Raquel November 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing… haha But I will definitely tune in. I'm curious to see how well this turns out haha

• Rissi November 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I'm all for it, Raquel – even more so knowing who is starring and that it's a live production instead of film. :)

• Jemimah November 7, 2013 at 4:50 AM

They certainly look picture perfect for their roles, but the 'final act' will definitely put them to the real test. Still, I am excited for this remake all over again!

• Rissi November 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Well said, Jemimah. The "final act" will indeed be telling. That's when we'll see whether or not this cast can pull off the timeless story. :)

• Tom December 2, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Can't wait to watch it this week!

• Rissi December 5, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Ditto! I'm SO excited to finally be able to watch this production – the more promotion I've seen, the more my excitement has grown. :)