Top Ten Tuesday + Friend’s Recomendations

May 19, 2015

Today’s Top Ten Tuesday was a “freebie.” This turned out to be a really nice thing this week, because we got to play with any topic we wanted. It’s always fun to do our own thing with Top Ten Tuesday though, of course, the topics the ladies come up with are always brilliant book epicness. This week, I didn’t go with anything inventive and instead decided to showcase books that blogging friends have been insisting (in the nicest possible way) I read for a long time. Partially because that way there are books on this list not normally featured here (more so than some week’s that tend to “repeat” authors or books) and secondly because I really am curious about them. Also thrown in are a couple I’ve been telling myself to read time and again. But as we all know, those TBR’s get the best of us.

Broke and Bookish topic for May 19th 2015

Top Ten Tuesday Freebie — YOUR CHOICE OF TOPIC.

— Recommendations from Friends —

1.) A Sparrow in Terezin, by Kristy Cambron

This book is really more a pick I want to read than it is a recommendation. Though it has been making the book blogging rounds and is getting nothing but praise.

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

2.) Etiquette and Espionage, by Gail Carriger

Again, this is another non-recommendation, however I believe I remember Jenny B. Jones talking about it.

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

3.) Pawn, by Aimee Carter

One of my “oldie” blog followers recommended this to me on Goodreads. Naturally, I’m intrigued.

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

4.) Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins

“Everyone” is in shock that I’m watching the movies before reading the books – I think most readers thought this the best book of the three and well, someday I’ll read the final two books.

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

5.) The Wedding Dress, by Rachel Hauck

Given how much I enjoy Rachel’s novels, I’m surprised this hasn’t made it to my “read” list yet. Alas it has not. Shame on me!

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

6.) Cruel Beauty, by Rosamund Hodge

Twitter buddies (which really let’s face it, they’re awesome people and friends irrespective of the literal distance between us), Amber and Kara cannot talk about this Beauty and the Beast re-telling enough. Luckily for me, all that means is more excitement to read it.

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

7.) Happy to be Alive, Because, by Chelsea Jacobs

Christen (of the awesome Litfuse folks) recommended this one on Goodreads and since I was really curious about it, it’s a debut I only recently realized I’d wanted to read back at its debut.

8.) Scarlet, by Marissa Meyer

Yet another series we’ve talked about here time and again. (Hence the reason why I won’t bore you with more.) Give me a bit of credit though… instead of using Cinder I went with Scarlet‘s cover. That’s a change. *wink*

9.) The Statistical Probability of Falling in Love at First Sight, by Jennifer E. Smith

Anything by Jennifer sounds darling and whimsical. I chose this book because it’s being adapted as a major motion picture with Hailee Steinfeld. Needless to say, reading this has suddenly become more of a priority.

10.) On the Fence, by Kasie West

I could say the same about Kasie’s books as I did above about Jennifer’s. They sound darling. Basically any and all of her novels are high on my must read list.

Amazon ǀ Goodreads

——-

As usual, it’s YOUR turn to chatter. Which of these books have you read? Do you have any must read recommendations? Share any thoughts you have down below.

Happy Tuesday!

• Lianne @ eclectictales.com

May 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Interesting topic for this week, Rissi! I haven't read any of these, though I am hoping to read the rest of Meyer's Lunar Chronicles at some point. I also see Jennifer E. Smith's books everywhere but have yet to read them. One of these days… xD

My TTT

1. Rissi

May 19, 2015 at 7:51 pm

As I'm visiting blogs this week, everyone came up with such unique, clever topics. Alas mine is pretty standard… but hey, at least something was put together. Sometimes that in and of itself is a win. ;)

I hope you enjoy the rest of Meyer's novels and of course Jennifer's books sound too cute! Sometimes that's just what I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch for visiting, Lianne! Always glad to chat with you.

• Dawn Janis

May 19, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Yes you totally need to read Catching Fire and Scarlet. And the Wedding Dress. That was my first exposure to Rachel's books and I adored it. Different than the Royal Weddings, but in some ways better.

1. Rissi

May 19, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Thanks, Dawn! I will hope to at some point read both of those… for the former, I just get to impatient and *have* to watch the movies. ;)

I'm so glad to hear that about Rachel's books. Sounds like a delightful read.

• Andrea Hatfield

May 19, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I've got The Lunar Chronicles on my TBR list too. I've read Catching Fire and thought it was awesome! You should totally read Catching Fire when you get the chance.

1. Rissi

May 20, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, Andrea..! I do plan to. But I still haven't watched the Mockingjay film in the hope I'd read the book first, and alas, I still haven't. I'll make reading the books a goal before seeing the fourth and final film. :)

• A Flurry of Ponderings

May 20, 2015 at 12:19 am

So many faves on your list, I definitely recommend The Lunar Chronicles series!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

1. Rissi

May 20, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, Missie! Cannot wait to read those Lunar books. :)

• Ella

May 20, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Great list Rissi:)

1. Rissi

May 20, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, Ella. :)

2. Ella

May 26, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Your welcome.

• Amanda Holmes

May 20, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I loved A Sparrow in Terezin! I hope you enjoy it.;)
    I have to say, I am in the group that thinks that Catching Fire is the best of the three. Though, Hunger Games is good too. I can't say that the last one is a favorite, but it is still interesting and worth the read!
    Great list! I always like to see what makes it onto your list!

1. Rissi

May 23, 2015 at 1:28 am

I'm so glad to know that, Amanda. I hear amazing things about Kristy's writing, so yay!

Lots of readers prefer Catching Fire far as I've seen and feel the same that book three is the least interesting. Funny thing is, I don't think Suzanne has written anything else, right!?

Thanks for visiting, reading and commenting! Always appreciate it. :)

• Becca Anne

May 22, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I read The Wedding Dress a few weeks ago, actually, and really liked it. It was my first exposure to that author, and the book had it's ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it. (The fact that I am a little into weddings and especially wedding dresses may have influenced my approval. ;)

And the cover is gorgeous. Just sayin'. ;)

1. Rissi

May 23, 2015 at 1:30 am

Fabulous. It sounds like a charming read, Becca. I adored Rachel's "Royal Weddings" series but haven't read this one yet. Since I hear such brilliant things, I'll have to make it a priority. :)

Cover = GORGEOUS! I agree.

Thank you kindly for visiting and commenting, Becca Anne. Appreciate it muchly. :)

• Kara

June 27, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Aw, thanks for the sweet words! And I could say the same of you, my friend. Our twitter convos just make me grin! (I'm grinning simply thinking about them right now. :)

That being said, you MUST read Cruel Beauty and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight! Two of my absolute faves ever. And I can't wait to hear what you think of them! (Which you already knew, of course. Because I've only told you this about a gazillion times, right? ;)

Also, On the Fence is simply adorable!

And I don't even need to mention The Lunar Chronicles. Because I think I've made how I feel about this (amazing, fabulous, quirky, awesome, splendid) series clear. ;D

1. Rissi

June 30, 2015 at 1:49 am

Me too! Love all of our hashtag madness (in the best sense of the word) and always enjoy any and all of our convos. It gets really quiet on Twitter when we're not chatting about something. :)

I know – I'm so behind with all the "cool" books and amazing stories and epic fantasy's and… well, on the list could go. Good news is, I'm nearly done with the last have-to-read-yesterday review book, so I'm going to be asking you all what I should read next. IG picture, anyone!? ;)

On the Fence really has no choice but to be cute, right? With that cover!

Lunar Chronicles have been hyped so much, I'm confident I have no choice but to love them. And you know what, that's okay by me. :D