Top (Nine) Books on my Summer Reading List

June 16, 2015 32 Comments

Top (Nine) Books on my Summer Reading List

June 16, 2015 32 Comments

Another week has passed. It’s been quiet around here, but that’s okay because the blogging world in general is quiet these days. Since today is Tuesday that means we’re getting  a new week of content started with the ever popular meme, Top Ten Tuesday. I hardly ever get the books read on my “season” TBR’s that I lay out. But who cares, right!? It’s fun to put together nevertheless. My spring TBR was over ambitious so I thought with the start of a new season, I’d dial that ambition back and came up with nine books. In reality I do have a couple of review books I have in my possession that I should read this summer as well, but I mostly compiled books on my shelf or books I will pick up to read. Why? Because sometimes that’s more fun.

I’ve also chosen different books than what I talked about on last week’s TTT because, while yes, I will so want to read them, it seemed best to go for some different titles. With that in mind, some of those books will likely also be getting a read this summer – or those that release over the next couple months will. Let’s get things started.

Broke and Bookish topic for June 16th

Top Ten Books On My TBR For Summer 2015

1.) The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things, by Ann Aguirre

After some reading about this new book from Ann, I got this one from an Amazon seller. It looks so pretty… and good.

2.) Red Queen, by Victoria Aveyard

It looks and sounds amazing. Why wouldn’t I want to read this pretty!?

3.) Royal Wedding, by Meg Cabot

I’m sensing a theme with these first three titles.

4.) Rook, by Sharon Cameron

This books sounds amazing… plus I just got a copy from my Amazon preorder.

5.) All Fall Down, by Ally Carter

This may have released way back (January), but it seems like a really good summer read.

6.) The Heir, by Kiera Cass

Guess I really should have put The One on here since I have to read that before getting to this pretty.

7.) Shades of Doon, by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon

Returning to Doon with two besties? What could be better summer reading!?

8.) Married ‘Til Monday, by Denise Hunter

Love Denise’s books. This is going to be one of my next two reads (late though it is).

9.) Center of Gravity, by Laura McNeil

To be honest, this is the book I know least about, however it sounds really interesting.
Ps; I like this cover (pictured) way better than the newbie one showing.
How about you?

——-

Another Tuesday, another list. Those are my summer reading hopefuls.

What about you? Which books are you planning to read this summer?

Share any bookish thoughts you have – and as always, let me know if you joined in the meme!

• Mallory @ The Local Muse June 16, 2015 at 4:55 am

I have been hearing some really great things about Rook since its release! I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it if you read it this summer!
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Hi, Mallory! Thanks. I will definitely be reviewing it provided I get it read… which is the plan. :) Thanks so much for the visit and comment. :)

• Baggins June 16, 2015 at 4:58 am

Awesome choices! So many that are on my TBR list…but didn't make my Top Ten list this week. There's just too many books! ;-) Though I'm currently reading Red Queen and really enjoying it. I hope you enjoy all of your summer reading!

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Thanks! There are definitely TOO MANY books and little time to read them. *sigh* Here's hoping we both do well on our summer reading lists.

Yay for Red Queen. I've heard conflicting reports on that one, but it sounds like a fun/entertaining read and most of the time, that's what I like. :)

• ChrissiReads June 16, 2015 at 5:47 am

The Heir seems like it would be a good summer read. I hope you enjoy the books on your summer TBR!My TTTon your summer TBR!

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Hi, Chrissi. Thanks so much – and I agree. The Heir seems like a perfect summer read. It promises to be lighthearted (in comparison to some of its genre) and entertaining. Thank you for visiting. :)

• Gidget Girls Reading June 16, 2015 at 11:53 am

Great list, many I've read and have my TBR pile also. I've read The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things, All Fall Down. I have Rook (bought it for mother's day) and on hold for Red Queen (I read about half of it before I had to return it to the library, so waiting to get it back so I can finish it. Not sure it's a buy and keep type of book) and also have the Heir on hold ( I'm not a big fan of the Selection series but thought I'd give it a try. Read about a 1/3 and had to return it also, so back to the waiting game.

• Gidget Girls Reading June 16, 2015 at 2:00 pm

yippee just checked my library holds list Red Queen is back! :)

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Fun. It's great to hear/read about what is on everyone's summer reading lists, Shannon.

Great mother's day present (Rook); it does sound amazing and I'm of course, really excited for Ally's newest (plus the recent book two cover reveal looks great). Hope Red Queen gets better for you now it's back at the library. I really like the Selection books just because they're "easy reads" which is often what I'm happiest with. I like to be entertained and that's what those books accomplish for me. But I know a lot of readers don't care for the books, and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

• Deb Nance at Readerbuzz June 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I've got Rook and I hope to read it during Paris in July this year.

Here's what I plan to read this summer!

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 11:04 pm

What an exciting summer plan, Deb! That sounds like the perfect summer read in the perfect location. I hope you enjoy. :)

Thanks for visiting. Off to read your list. :)

• Lianne @ eclectictales.com June 16, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Great list! Been seeing The Red Queen a lot on the internet these last few months, I wonder if it's a sign that I should add it to the wishlist ;)

Happy reading this summer, Rissi :) My TTT

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 11:07 pm

I've been seeing Red Queen everywhere, Lianne. I think for a while it was the "it" YA book to have. There are mixed reports however the story seems like one I'd enjoy… so here's hoping.

Happy summer reading to you as well, Lianne! Great to "see" you over here. Off to read your list! :)

• Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm June 16, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Great picks! Wow, the cover for Shades of Doon is absolutely beautiful. I own the first two books in the series but I haven't read them yet, but maybe I should hurry up and do that. I hope you enjoy all of these books when you get the chance to read them :) Here's my TTT.

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Hi, Charnell. Thanks to much for visiting! Shades of Doon is beautiful and I have a copy of it waiting to be read so I should be hopping to that. ;) The series is really quite fun about two best friends who time travel to Scotland. Very Brigadoon-like if you've ever seen the classic musical.

Thanks for visiting! Off to read your TTT…! :)

• Heather June 16, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I love reading your book lists. They always gives me inspiration! I just finished reading "Reservations For Two" by Hillary Manton Lodge. She has quickly become a favorite author of mine. The next few books on my list include "Lizzy & Jane", "Unbroken", and "The Selection".

• Rissi June 16, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Me too, Heather! I adore Hillary's books. Bring on book three.. which unfortunately isn't slated to released until May 2016. Boo. YAY! You've got some fabulous books on your summer TBR. Hope you enjoy them all – and as always, thank you for visiting and the comment. :)

• A Flurry of Ponderings June 17, 2015 at 12:35 am

Center of Gravity looks really interesting! I am excited to read Rook too!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

• Rissi June 18, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Doesn't it!? Not sure what it's exactly like, but it does look like an intriguing read that could be amazing. Here's hoping we both get Rook read! :)

• Susan June 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

RED QUEEN looks amazing. CENTER OF GRAVITY does too. I just added it to my GR list.

Thanks for stopping by my TTT yesterday :)

• Rissi June 18, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I agree! Red Queen does look amazing. Here's hoping it is – and same for "Gravity." Gotta' love discover new reads.

My pleasure. Thank you for visiting, Susan. :)

• Amanda Holmes June 17, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Awesome list! I am really looking forward to reading Rook as well.;)

• Rissi June 18, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Yay! Here's to us BOTH sneaking that one onto our completed summer TBR list, Amanda! We can do it, right!? ;)

• Ella June 17, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Good list Rissi!
    If you read 'Red Queen' I want to hear your thoughts on it.
    I have yet to read 'The Selection' series, although it's high on my tbr list, or the sequels to 'Doon'. Maybe this summer I'll finally read them:)

• Rissi June 18, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Thanks, Ella. You can be sure I'll review Red Queen if/when I read it. Even if it's more of a rant. ;) The hope is to do so in the next month or two.

Your possible summer list sounds like an excellent idea! "Doon" is merely a fun "bestie" kind of series, so I hope you like its sequels and of course, The Selection books are kind of my "guilty pleasure" reads. Maybe no the best around, but entertaining and "easy reads" nonetheless. I'd love to know what you think of those if/when you read them. :)

• Ella June 24, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Rissi:)

• Kara Lynn June 18, 2015 at 11:54 am

Awesome book list Risi! Denise Hunter is one of my favorite authors and I borrow her books from the library often.
    I'm planning to re read Lord of the Rings, and try some classics and such this summer. I've been busy so reading is harder but I'm getting some in. =)

• Rissi June 18, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Denise's novels are ranked high on my favorites list. She has such an amazing writing quality. Book four of her Chapel series is currently being read and thus far, it could be one of my favorites.

Good for you, Kara. Reading classics is awesome. I'd like to try more Austen because I adore the films, but I haven't gotten to that. Someday. When I have pretty covers for her books on my bookshelf – the idea is maybe that would inspire me. ;)

• Anonymous June 19, 2015 at 10:14 am

You have a great lineup. I really want to make the time at some point for All Fall Down. Happy summer reading.

• Rissi June 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hi, Suzi! Thanks. :)

All Fall Down looks like a lot of fun and I've been told Ally's books are really cute, fun reads, which is often what I look for.

Glad you visited. :)

• Cayt June 22, 2015 at 1:15 am

The only book on your list that I've read is The Red Queen. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped I would. Hopefully you'll like it a bit more than I did!

Cayt @ Vicarious Caytastrophe

• Rissi June 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Thanks, Cayt! I hope to. I know lots of readers were disappointed with it. I'll try and go in with low expectations and see where that takes me. :)

Thanks for the visit and comment.