Top Ten Tuesday | The Fangirl Fandom (and the Reasons it’s a Fabulous, Flailing, Frustrating Fandom)

April 4, 2017 31 Comments
matter what we like or where our loyalties settle, there is one thing we can
all circle around. The fandom. This is a very “dangerous” topic, but one that
the Broke and Bookish ladies ask us to explore today. And when they ask (lead),
we must answer (follow).
Broke and Bookish April 4 | Fandom Freebie —
top ten fandoms I’m in, 10 reasons X fandom is the best, must have merchandise
for x fandom, etc. etc.

Whether we love contemporary
fiction, romance or fantasy, no matter the outlet (books, TV, movies,
merchandise) the fandoms that surround any genre/ship or author’s works is
alive and well. I mean, there are hashtags that support this. It’s no theory
guys. Let’s do a quick recap as proof.
#ACOTAR (yes, Sarah J. Maas’ A Court of Thorns and Roses has its own
abbreviated hashtag)
#Olicity (CW’s Arrow and its powerhouse couple has its
own adoring fanbase, and a matching hashtag to prove it)
#BabyGroot (Yes, the Guardians of the Galaxy character has
his own hashtag)
That’s just a quick look at
the power a fandom can have. The fandom hashtag game is alive and well. With so
many things to ship, root for, swoon over and rant until we’re blue in the
face, my statement that today’s topic is “dangerous” should, perhaps make
perfect sense. It sure does to me anyway.
Putting this topic together
is next to impossible because we have to ask ourselves, “How do I feature one –
or even ten, fandoms?” Furthermore how does one chose which fandoms (even if we
do get ten) to spotlight? I mean, if you all are anything like me, you have a
boatload of them, especially if you take into account TV addictions. Which I
do.
Today I’m just talking general
fangirl-y things. So watch out: excessive gushing ahead. You’ve been warned.

1. The Collection aka a
Bookshelf Hoarder | Let’s face facts, when we love a fandom, we want to collect
all the things. My kryptonite? Currently, it’s Funko Pops! When I first saw
them all over the Internet, a conversation I had with myself went something
like this:

Aww, aren’t they cute?
­You won’t be collecting them, but can admire
them
*sees them at store*
Ok, maybe just one or two – because having Olly without Felicity?! Impossible!
*buys Funkos*
Oh, look, there are Avenger Funkos!
But these are cute too!
*buys more Funkos*
Yep, and that is a copy and
repeat scenario.
2. The Community aka Fellow
Fangirls | This in and of itself is an incredible fangirl experience. Why is
this? Because without a community, there is no point to fangirl-y things.

3. The Experience aka Knowing
We Understand the FEELS | Despite the angst, I love the whole fangirl
experience. I’ll confess, I used to get a lot more “invested” in the experience
in the sense that I worried over the break ups, the heartbreaks and the lead
ins. Now, I’m pretty much like, “Whatever.” I mean, much as I detest some of
the OTP issues (aka the break up of #Olicity. Still bitter, guys), the fact that
you cannot trust the writers mean there’s always a good chance the plot change
will reverse itself at some point. It’s annoying. It’s fun. It’s the Fangirl
Experience.
4. The #Hashtag Game (Because
it’s FUN!) | Who doesn’t love using hashtags? Especially when they’re so popular
they have a built in emoji.
5. The Read Alongs | I’ve
only joined in a couple of read-alongs, but in my opinion they’ve been the
best. Especially when they’re with amazing writers and bloggers, Cassie and
Courtney.

6. The Stories | No matter the
ways we wail over storyteller’s breaking our hearts, it’s because of the
stories that we are able to enjoy these experiences.
FINDING WONDERLAND ON
BOOKTUBE

(Publishes Tomorrow)
 ____________________________
Speaking of today’s topic,
TALK all about your favorite fandoms. I want to know: what are some of your
favorites? Why are they favorites? What did you feature today? Comment down
below with your Top Ten Tuesday thoughts, links and all that fun stuff. I’d love
to swing by your bookish homes on the interwebs.
_____________________

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

• Anonymous April 4, 2017 at 4:39 am

Lovely post! I love the sound of some of these fandoms. I struggled with the prompt this week but decided to go with Harry Potter!

• Rissi April 4, 2017 at 5:46 am

I did too, Chrissi – or more than I thought. There are SO many fandoms I was sure I could easily write this one up, but when it came time to, I drew a blank. But it was still fun! And yay for specializing on a favorite fandom; that never goes out of style. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Greg April 4, 2017 at 7:13 am

So many fandoms… and I agree about Funkos, I may be slightly addicted to them now.

• Rissi April 5, 2017 at 11:49 pm

RIGHT?? I swore I wouldn't become addicted, but well, that promise has LONG sing gone by the wayside. :D

Thanks for visiting, Greg!

• Annemieke April 4, 2017 at 8:29 am

Oh yes I used to be more invested in the experience too when I was younger but some still kind of creep up on you. Great post!

• Rissi April 5, 2017 at 11:51 pm

True that. I still get invested but not to the point where I think (and THINK!) about it. I enjoy the fandom when I'm "in" it (i.e., while watching or reading), but beyond that, it's all about real life. Most the time. ;)

Thanks for visiting, Annemieke.

• Chelsea @ A Very Bookish Girl April 4, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I have a problem with Funko Pops too, it's so hard to not want to buy them all isn't it! I love Oliver but part of my heart always wanted him to end up with Sara, sooooo much lol. But that's probably just me. I also want to join readalongs, they do seem like they're fun!

• Rissi April 5, 2017 at 11:54 pm

RIGHT?!? Like, why do they keep releasing all the CUTEST ones!? :D I'd be in heaven if ever they released Veronica Mars. That'd be the best ever.

I think Laurel is "canon," isn't she? I'm not sure. Either way, I like it best when they either leave Oliver OUT of a relationship (when he's supposed to be madly in love with X character) or put him in THE relationship writer's want him to be in. :)

Read-Alongs are super fun! I've only been in a couple, but they're always entertaining. :)

Thanks for visiting, Chelsea.

• Crazy Lady April 4, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Oh lord… Funko Pop Vinyls are my kryptonite. I swear to all that's holy, my husband's even buying them for me now (and I think that's partly because he feels silly buying a Castiel for himself, but hey, I'm not complaining!).

• Crazy Lady April 4, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I keep getting so wrapped up in the fandoms that I forget to post my links…

Here is my TTT

• Rissi April 5, 2017 at 11:58 pm

MINE TOO! It's a dangerous place to be.

LOL! I get that. I always said, when I babysat, I tried to get the kids to watch Tangled so I'd have a legit excuse to watch it. Unfortunately for me, they were so over the film and always say, "No!" ;)

Thanks! I'll be by to visit. Appreciate you stopping by.

• Lianne @ eclectictales.com April 4, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Great post about fandoms, Rissi! I admit, I sort of fell off the radar these days when it comes to fandoms, settling on quietly just following the show or book but not really dipping into the community (mainly due to time restraints), but it's great to connect with people who enjoy the book/show/movie as much as you do.

My TTT

• Rissi April 6, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have too, Lianne. In the sense of my "investment" in them (emotionally). I used to be SO into them, but nowadays, I merely watch (or read) my fandoms, enjoy them while I'm "in" their world and then, move on. It's probably healthier for us all this way too. :)

So glad you stopped by, friend.

• Emily Seals April 4, 2017 at 11:38 pm

I've never participated in a readalong, but it sounds fantastic! I love getting gushy and excited with other people who feel the same way. =)

• Rissi April 6, 2017 at 12:00 am

It's SO much fun, Emily – and I agree. That's part of the fun of this blog community; all the gushing fun! :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) April 5, 2017 at 4:41 am

Great list! I also loved the readathons the groups have!

Here’s my TTT!

Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

• Rissi April 6, 2017 at 12:03 am

I'm so glad, Ronyell; they're always fun.

Appreciate you stopping by. :)

• Rissi April 6, 2017 at 12:06 am

Thanks. Appreciate you stopping by. :)

• Tracy April 5, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Awesome post! I love funkos and I have way too many of them. I'm totally in agreement on ACOTAR! I'm currently reading it for the third time XD

Here are my Top Ten!

• Rissi April 6, 2017 at 12:08 am

RIGHT?? I have WAY too many as well, Tracy. My latest additions are Nick (from Zootopia) and Red (from The Blacklist). It's becoming a problem. Not to mention taking my bookshelf space! :D

Thanks for visiting.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads April 6, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Ah, great post, Rissi! I can't help but love fandoms – I'm totally in the fandom fandom ;) And I totally relate about the Funko Pops – it just can't stop at just one…

• Rissi April 9, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I love that, Lindsey – in the fandom fandom! ME TOO! it's a great place to be, isn't it?? :D The Funko pops are CRAZY cute. I can't seem to help myself. I just keep spotting new ones, and thinking, "Awww… I *need* that one!" Oh, boy! ;D

Thanks for visiting!

• Lauren Stoolfire April 7, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Baby Groot! :)

Lauren @ Always Me

• Rissi April 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Baby Groot is the CUTEST EVER, Lauren. I think I *need* the Funko pop! :D

Thanks for visiting.

• Carrie April 9, 2017 at 3:03 pm

what a fun (and true) post! YAY!

• Rissi April 9, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Thanks, Carrie. It was fun! And thank YOU for the recent Finding Wonderland follow. Always a pleasure to have you visit and to visit your amazing website. :) Thanks!

• Shannon/ It Starts at Midnight April 10, 2017 at 3:10 am

This is great, and so very true! Collections are absolutely my biggest fangirl (and financial ha) problem! First, it was The Hunger Games, which has ALLLL the book editions of course. And the Funkos, and the movies, and then I went to The Hunger Games Exhibition where you can buy MORE stuff. And now that has calmed down a bit (but don't worry, the 10th anniversary will be upon us soon with MORE stuff), so now I am obsessed with The 100, as you probably have seen, and what is coming out this month? YEP, The 100 Funkos. Which of course I must have all of.

And the ships! Don't get me started on the ships because if Bellarke doesn't happen, gahhh. I see that you feel my struggle hahah. This is all just SO TRUE.

• Rissi April 10, 2017 at 11:50 pm

OhMyGosh, yes! Shannon, I spend way more than I should on Funkos alone. Like, what!!!? :D

I'd love to get the Katniss Funko yet, but I think they're not being made anymore, so Amazon sellers list them for a higher price (what's your go-to Funko shop??).

The Hunger Games have beautiful editions and so many. Right now I'm trying to hold back from collecting some of the beautiful Anne of Green Gables editions.

OHMYGOSH! The ships! I'm a fangirl of WAY too many of those! :)

So glad you came by, Shannon. :)

• Kristia4 April 26, 2017 at 5:04 am

Yay for fandoms and being fangirls! My sister and I are huge fangirls for a variety of fandoms. One of our favorite things to do is dress up/cosplay during our church's Harvest Festival (Halloween alternative). She was Susan Pevensie (with the green archery dress) one year and the kids loved her. I was a Jedi and found an adorable little kid dressed as an Ewok to take a picture with. Fun times! :) And don't get me started on ships! I have had many of my ships sink… it's a sad day. I think only fellow fangirls really get how attached you can become to characters and how you can really feel their pain and stuff. #FangirlsUnite

• Rissi April 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Ditto. Love this fangirl-y community. :)

Aw, I love the Narnia characters – and how fun! I haven't ever done the whole cosplay thing, but I do see it on Instagram and some people do a FABULOUS job with the details and really "becoming" the character.

Ahhh, ships! I feel that TV watcher pain. There have been plenty that have disappointed me for sure.

Love the hashtag! :D

Thanks so much for visiting, Kristia.