Top Ten Tuesday | Please, NO! (aka Topics that Inspire me to Say, “Talk to the Hand!”)

April 25, 2017
matter our love of reading, there are some things about books that make us
instantly shake our head and go,
nope!
Broke and Bookish April
25:
  Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book – tell us all your book turn offs! – Broke and Bookish

Do I have a list of book
“turn offs”? Probably, yes, but I’ll be the first to admit, I had to think (and
think) over this to come up with five things I dislike in books. I mean,
sure, there might be “petty” things that annoy as I get into the opening of the
book, but if it’s a genre I love featuring likable characters, usually by its
conclusion, I’ve long since forgotten what miffed me so.

Most of the things on my list today are inconsequential and
can certainly be overcome if the story inside is compelling. In fact, I’d even
say, I would and will read books with
(most of) these things depending on the “severity.” It will just take me all
the longer to get around to them. That said, since today’s topic asks this of
us, I decided to think about the things that make me NOT want to read a book.
These reasons are as follows. (Yes, I’m recycling graphics two weeks in a row. This is what happens when I – aka, the “bad blogger” – don’t plan accordingly.)
 1. “Chosen One” | This is a trope that I have read in many
books, and I’ll confess, in most it does work. I’ve enjoyed the books that has
had it, but it’s often a “thing” in fiction which makes me think it’s overused
to some extent.
2. Content Warning | If I’m reading about a book on
Goodreads (I was recently in fact) and am thinking, “…sounds promising,” only
to then reach the end and spy a “content warming” (a mature one), yeah, I’m
going to skip that. Don’t get me wrong, I read books with “adult content,” but
what I don’t like is content in books for “shock value.” If a book is going to
involve mature topics or issues, do so with a purpose, not because you can. That said, I am grateful to know this, so maybe adding this is contrary?? I’ll channel Violet Crawley here…

I’m a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose. – Violet

3. Cover Changes Mid Series | Just no! Don’t be messing with my pretty covers, and more importantly,
my bookshelf candy. A prime example that comes to mind? Marie Rutkowski’s
‘Winner’s Crime’ trilogy. What’s worse is the publisher made the change with
only one book left in the series.
Like, whaaat??? Wait until it’s all
published and in the world. Then, if you must, make the change. Fortunately,
they went ahead and released the hardcover to match the first two books, so I
won’t have to disown book three.
4. Kick Butt Girls (and Guys Who Don’t Matter) | OK, so this might be one I could write a “discussion” post on to further elaborate on. Don’t get me wrong, I love kick-butt characters, girls or guys. Where I have a problem is when the former (or latter, either way) become the “only” character who matters to the point of the “love interest” being mere window dressing rather than a strong, and important character in their own right. I say this happens more with girls because of how culture trends.

5. Love Triangles | Again this is another thing that can be
perfectly fine if written well. My greater pet peeve (outside the triangle) is
when the girl is SO. DARN. WISHY-WASHY. But I’d like to save further dissection
of this for a “discussion” post. (Yay or nay? And while we’re on the topic: Guys, I’m looking to write more discussion-y posts. What’d you think?)

_____________________________
That’s a wrap on today’s topic. What are some of your reader
pet peeves? I’d love to read about them: comment down below with all of your
thoughts. I’m ready to chat all fangirl and bookish thoughts – good or bad.
Leave your Top Ten Tuesday links, I’d be glad to visit your
bookish havens.
Finding Wonderland

• Anne Bennett

April 25, 2017 at 4:20 am

I am not sure why love triangles are so common and popular. I hear ya!

April 25, 2017 at 4:33 am

I'm not either! I have thoughts on love triangles, but haven't written up my post. Perhaps this should inspire me to do so. :)

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate it.

• Wendy

April 25, 2017 at 4:22 am

Love triangles and Chosen Ones have both been done to death, but as you said, they can also still be done effectively. I'm impressed by all your graphics!

April 25, 2017 at 4:34 am

If done well, yes, they can be effective! I have an entire "rant" in my head about love triangles, I just need to put the words to paper. :)

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words – and that you stopped by. Always glad to meet fellow bloggers. Thanks, Wendy. :)

• Anonymous

April 25, 2017 at 4:33 am

Oh yes. I'm totally bored of love triangles! I have no time for them at all. :-)

April 25, 2017 at 4:36 am

Yeah, they are common, right?? If done well, I can totally deal with them. It's when the girl shifts EVERY OTHER DAY in her "I-Love-Him, no, I-Love-Other-Guy" that I get annoyed. :D

Thanks, as always, for visiting, Chrissi.

• Amanda Holmes

April 25, 2017 at 5:06 am

I totally agree with 2.! There was a book I recently thought looked adorable, until I saw that it was recommended for 18 and older.:P "Adult content" needs a legitimate reason to be there, in my opinion.
    Great list!

April 25, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Me too, Amanda! I mean, on one hand I'm grateful it's there because I DO NOT want to read a book with needless content (or as I like to call it, content for "shock value"), so I suppose I shouldn't complain. ;)

Thanks, as always, for visiting. :)

• Dani @ Perspective of a Writer

April 25, 2017 at 5:15 am

I love "Kick Butt Girls (and Guys Who Don’t Matter)" and totally agree with you!! You have a really pretty blog! I look forward to reading more!

April 25, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Hi, Dani – thank you so much for the kind words and for visiting. I appreciate it. Visit anytime. You're always welcome.

YES! I have a better explanation of that prompt, but I thought I'd save it for a discussion post. Maybe. ;)

• Alexandra Perchanidou

April 25, 2017 at 5:45 am

It seems that love triangles won the lists selection. :)

April 25, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Right?? I've seen them on lots of list this week, Alexandra. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Tara

April 25, 2017 at 6:09 am

Yes, do a post on Love Triangles! My theory is that unless they are done SPECTACULARLY well they are a sign of lazy writing. "Look at this. I am am so special that the two most special guys in all the land love me. I am so awesome" No.

April 25, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Your summary of love triangles made me smile, Tara. SO true. Or I see it as a "complication" to keep the two apart from who they are truly MEANT to be with. *sigh* Thanks for the feedback! I'd really like to write more discussion posts, so that might be my next one. Hopefully it could be ready for next week. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Greg

April 25, 2017 at 7:24 am

I do have a little less patience for the chosen one trope these days, unless it's done really well. And I'm not a fan of love triangles generally, although I know some are good. I think that'd be a GREAT discussion post however. :)

April 26, 2017 at 4:41 pm

As you say, Greg, yes, there are exceptions. I feel this way about any trope though – and will admit if I like the book well enough, I can forgive just about anything! :D (Because I'm a simple girl who simple likes to be entertained when I read.)

Thanks! I would like to post about love triangles. Perhaps it'll be ready for next week. :)

Appreciate you visiting, as always.

• Verushka Byrow

April 25, 2017 at 10:23 am

Did my first post come through? I can't tell any more! Anyway, my apologies for the double post: but I did want to say that I think you've picked quite a few tropes that I find authors can easily get wrong and go way overboard, because some times in the right authors hands I can happily get lost in these tropes… except maybe love triangles. Which are a big no for me. I hear you on the kick butt girls and dudes who don't matter being irritating. Yeah, I can get behind that too.

April 26, 2017 at 4:49 pm

No apologies, Verushka. I didn't see your post, so it's great you left another comment. My apologies that Blogger ate your first comment. Why it does that, I'll never know. :/

Well said! I too can appreciate these tropes depending on the author. When done right or if the story intrigues me, I don't care because it's such a good story.

I like kick-butt girls (and guys – and vice versa), but sometimes they make it extreme: Either create a different but "equal" relationship or allow the guy to be a hero once in a while ALONG with the girl. Sometimes the girl needs to realize that being rescued (or being assisted in being rescued) doesn't mean she's weak. It just means she knows when and how to graciously accept help.

So glad you stopped by! :)

• Lori

April 25, 2017 at 11:11 am

This is a great list , Rissi! I almost added the chosen one trope to my list too. It's so overdone!

April 26, 2017 at 4:52 pm

It sure seems to be! Or even some kind of variation on it like THG or Divergent. Thanks, Lori! As always, glad you stopped by. :)

• Poem fanatic

April 25, 2017 at 12:10 pm

The Chosen One has become a slight turn-off for me as well. I won't pick up any chosen one themed books unless it's been recommended by an EXTREMELY trusted source. I completely agree about it's overuse as well.

April 26, 2017 at 4:54 pm

I think we'd all say we might do this if the book comes highly recommended. I'd agree. :) I do read books with most of these tropes depending on the author/story, and usually, I end up enjoying them quite a lot. Just depends I guess.

Glad you stopped by – thanks! :)

• Astilbe

April 25, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Yes, the chosen one trope and love triangles have been completely overdone. I almost never read books like that these days. Maybe I'll go back to them eventually, but for now I need a long break.

The other thing that will make me stop reading a book is if it writes a lot of stereotypes about minority groups. I have little patience for that as well.

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday!

April 26, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I'll admit: I still do. :D One of my favorite series, 'The Selection' features a love triangle, and I'll admit, I overlook that flaw. ;)

Nothing wrong with a long break from a trope! Sometimes I read a synopsis and think, nope. Not going to read that simply because it sound too familiar to what I usually read.

Thanks SO much for visiting. Off to read your Top Ten Tuesday too! :)

• Susan P

April 25, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Fabulous list! I agree with all of them. It seems lately the "kick butt girls" one is exploding on the market and it overshadows the love thread. I don't need the fact that girls can kick butt pounded into my brain in a story. Then she is almost not likable. It gets old.

April 26, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Well said, Susan – and so true! I don't mind this trope if done well, but where I take issue is the thought then that guys DON'T MATTER! Or vice versa (if the girl doesn't matter). It's a balancing act for sure.

And I agree. If a girl is all about doing everything herself, then, yes, she's FAR less likable.

Appreciate you visiting!

• Allyson Gilmore

April 25, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I couldn't agree more about the content warning! It is so irritating, because you just know that they are going to try and shock you in the most annoying ways possible.

1. Allyson Gilmore

April 25, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Oh, and I love your blog layout! It's super cute :)

My TTT.

2. Rissi

April 26, 2017 at 5:02 pm

YES! If it has a purposeful place to HELP further the story, ok. But if it's just to be "shocking," to me, it reads more annoying that anything.

Thanks so much for the kind words – and for visiting, Allyson! I appreciate it. :)

• Beth Erin

April 25, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Love triangles… if you think you love two guys, you're wrong. These should be renamed infatuation triangles or attraction triangles. Ugh.

April 26, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Well said, Beth Erin! That's where I take the most issue: I can deal with it if the girl "knows" who she loves or she genuinely falls in love with ONE of the guys interested in the trilogy rather than the one-day-I-love-A and one-day-I-love-X back and forth. *sigh*

Thanks so much for visiting! :)

• Anonymous

April 25, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I hate a book with sexual content,bad laungauge and love triangles so much i will refuse to finish it if any of those are present! Shelia Hall sheliarha64@yahoo.com

April 26, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I don't like it when it's in a story simply for "shock value." In my experience when I've read a book like that, it's more annoying than "realistic" or purposeful. *sigh*

Thanks so much for visiting, Shelia! :)

• Lauren Stoolfire

April 25, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I agree with you on so many of these! I understand what you mean with the shock value.

April 26, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Yeah, for me, that just comes off as annoying. :/

Thanks so much for visiting, Lauren. :)

• Sonnetta Jones

April 26, 2017 at 2:57 am

I try to stay away from books that warned me that it is for mature audience. Sometimes I have to think would I read this if Jesus is next to me reading.

Some authors that I really like I had to stop reading their books. The women characters were not inspiring at all. They allow the men to treat them anyway and then claim it is love.
    I love stories with strong character development.

April 26, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Me too, Sonnetta – especially because I often find it's for shock value alone rather than being purposeful to the story.

Ugh. That is NOT cool. I agree. There has to be a balancing act with the male and female characters. As a couple and as individuals. Like you, I love strong character development. Makes them all the more endearing. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

May 2, 2017 at 3:58 am