Top Ten Tuesday | A Reader and Her Kryptonite: The Things, Concepts, Worlds, Characters, and Story Tropes

April 18, 2017
How many things does a book
have to have to ensure you will instantly read it? One? Two? Or more? Inquiring
minds (the Broke and Bookish gang) wants to know.
Broke and Bookish April 18: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To
Read A Book
 – Broke and Bookish

BLOGGER DISCUSSION | On Book Blogging and Monetization

There are a number of things
that will draw me towards a book. Some of which are more prevalent and
important to me than others. Either way, let’s be honest, we all have elements
or things or issues that make us more or less likely to read a book. Some are
superficial (*COVER SNOB ALERT*), others look deeper and ask  the heart of the reader in us important
queries.

So, today I thought I’d look at the five things that make me
want to read a book – and maybe, because let’s face it, I cannot seem to stop
there, take a closer look at the “why” behind these A-Z reasons.

1. Author | I’ll confess I’m a “comfort zone” reader. This
means if a book has the name Jenny B. Jones or Stephanie Perkins; Sarah Sundin
or Kiera Cass on its cover, there’s a 99% chance I’ll read the book.

2. Concept | While I love to read in that (above) referenced
“comfort zone,” I also admire new concepts and worlds. Examples of out-of-this-world
reads (for me) are These Broken Stars (quite
literally in fact!), A Shadow Bright and Burning, and The Selection

3. Cover Art | Yes, I’m shallow. When it comes to books, the
prettier the cover, the more I’m drawn to it. This is a subjective quality
since we all find something different defines “beauty,” but whatever your
definition of it is, I am a self-diagnosed cover snob. Some recent examples of
favorites include (And yes, depending on the execution, I have a fondness for “model
covers” and those with “headless” designs. Example A, example B, example C. Plus, who wouldn’t like this sweet “model cover”?)
4. Genre | Contemporary reads are my jam. I  know, it’s weird since I’m such a British costume/period
drama buff, but overall, it’s the contemporary world that most suits me.

5. New Author, Same Publisher | When I’m in my I-really-should-be-working-on-X,
but-I-really-want-to-browse-Goodreads-or-Amazon mode, sometimes I run across
new authors. When this happens, I look at the synopsis and publisher. If the former hooks me, and its from a publisher I read often, my curiosity scale level goes off the charts. New finds include a book from actress Bailee Madison (Blink), Sadhya Menon (Simon Pulse), and Joanna Davidson Palitano.
FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE
Publishes tomorrow afternoon
 __________________
That’s a wrap on another edition of Top Ten Tuesday. What
are some of your favorite book “catnip” concepts? I’d love to chat with you
about the things that draw YOU into a book? Comment down below with all the
thoughts, opinions or bookish (or otherwise) comments. I’d love to chat them up
with you.

Finding Wonderland

• Anne Bennett

April 18, 2017 at 5:11 am

I not only Very nice. My TTTliked your topics but I was quite taken by your topic graphics.

April 18, 2017 at 5:33 am

Thanks, Anne. They're part of the fun I have with Top Ten Tuesday. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Poem fanatic

April 18, 2017 at 7:05 am

I enjoyed so many of the Kierra Cass books as well!

April 18, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Me too! They're some of my "happy place" reads because, to me, they're so unlike the typical dystonian I read. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Anonymous

April 18, 2017 at 7:10 am

Fab list! I think we're all drawn to pretty books! :-) I can agree with many of your points this week.

April 18, 2017 at 11:20 pm

I'd agree. It's part of our bookish DNA. :)

Thanks, as always, for visiting, Chrissi.

• Greg

April 18, 2017 at 7:12 am

Concept and genre are big for me. And I will totally fall for a cover! Authors too, I do tend to stick with favorites and try more of their stuff.

April 18, 2017 at 11:23 pm

I like keeping with my favorite authors, but I do look at new authors, especially if it's being published by a publishing house I often read.

Genres are also a draw for me. If I like the genre, I'm more interested in picking up a copy of the book. :)

Thanks for visiting, Greg.

• Eve

April 18, 2017 at 7:59 am

These are more along the line of what I thought of the topic so yeah I'm pretty much on board with your picks! Love me a good cover and my favorite author! My Top Ten

April 18, 2017 at 11:23 pm

ME TOO, Eve. Good cover and favorite author? That's a combination not to be ignored. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by.

• Lori

April 18, 2017 at 11:02 am

I love your list! Pretty books definitely get my attention. I read a lot of books in the same genres too. Great list Rissi!

April 18, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Pretty covers are a must. That's not to say I wouldn't pick up a book that wasn't "pretty," but it'd probably take me a lot longer to discover it. :)

YAY for favorite genres. They're often the books I remember the most and because of that, the heart of their respective stories linger.

Thanks for visiting, Lori – as always.

• Julie

April 18, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I am big on good cover art too! I blame my artist side for that. lol! I tend to read a lot in the same genre as well! Great list!

April 18, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Cover art for the win! I love that so many of us can relate to this – and I get the artist comment, Julie. I'm not an artist, but am a creative soul, so I understand how that might influence. :)

Thanks so much for making Finding Wonderland a Top Ten Tuesday stop.

• IloveHeartlandX

April 18, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I'm a comfort zone author too, 10x more likely to read a book by an author I already love than a new one (I often wonder how I read anything new!). Also big on pretty covers.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/top-ten-tuesday-103/

April 18, 2017 at 11:30 pm

It's not that I don't like the idea of new authors, but if I don't know anything about them, I'm more skeptical to pick up their book. The reasons for this include wanting to enjoy the time I have for reading, and also there;s a kind of "trust" the reader has of/with favorite authors.

Pretty covers for the win!

Thanks for visiting, JJ!

• Nicole’s Novel Reads

April 18, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I too love contemporary novels and Stephanie Perkins is on my auto-buy list. I am very intrigued in Stephanie's upcoming horror novel.

April 18, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Contemporary is my overall favorite. I love her 'Anna' book, and will admit (contrary to what I just wrote about today – ooops!), I'm a bit skeptical about her horror novel. That said, I probably will give it an honest shot because her writing is fabulous! :)

Thanks for visiting, Nicole.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads

April 18, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I definitely relate to being a comfort zone reader. There are definitely some authors that are on my auto-buy list. And of course, I can't say no to a beautiful cover or an amazing concept either :)

April 18, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Mine too, Lindsey! I suspect it'd be pretty extreme a shift for me NOT to buy the authors on my auto-buy list. :)

Precisely. Saying no to a pretty cover? Impossible! :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Emily Seals

April 18, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Our lists are really similar! I find it interesting that you keep track of the publishers you read most. I hardly ever think about that, but now I'm curious if I read from the same ones a lot.

April 18, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Fun! I'm looking forward to reading your list, Emily.

Yeah, I do tend to notice the publishers. If I see a book (with a pretty cover!) with a new author on the front, I also tend to see whose publishing it. I guess I have publishers I trust too! :D

Glad you visited.

• Jenny B. Jones

April 18, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Thank you so much for the mention. What an honor to make your list. :)
    It's authors, concept, cover art for me. My autobuys are Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Tessa Dare. For the last two years i've really been into the UK style of illustrated/chick-litty romance covers. And I am a SUCKER for tropes of marriage of convenience or fake-for-a-purpose relationship. Those tropes never get old to me. :)

April 18, 2017 at 11:50 pm

My pleasure, Jenny. Thank you for stopping by. (In case I haven't said it – *smile* – I cannot wait to read Engaged in Trouble. Pretty sure it'll be my top May TBR book.)

I've not read Susan or Tessa's book, but Tessa is a familiar name. I'll have to look them up. I read a novel by Hester Browne (a UK contemporary author) and giggled my way through her delightful story and prose.

I LOVE marriage of convenience stories! I still adore Kristen Heitzmann's Breath of Dawn and Tender Vows because of this. :)

Thanks again for stopping by. :)

• Sarah Sundin

April 18, 2017 at 7:50 pm

I'm so honored to be on your list! I also have my auto-buys, plus I'm big on recommendations from friends. And yes, a pretty cover! One I want to show off as I read :)

April 18, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I love recommendations too, Sarah – although most of the time my friends don't know they recommended a book since I often find them on Top Ten Tuesday posts or through reviews. :)

LOVE beautiful covers, and yours are among my favorites!

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always appreciate it.

• Lark @ The Bookwyrm’s Hoard

April 19, 2017 at 12:30 am

Beautiful graphics! Authors (as in favorite) hit the top of my list this week; covers were on there as well, and recommendations.

April 20, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Thanks, Lark. Authors, covers and recommendations are the best! Gotta' love our favorite authors and of course, for me, pretty covers are always tempting. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• SERIESous Book Reviews

April 19, 2017 at 12:40 am

I'll be honest and say that I don't really pay attention to publishers all the time. It's so hard to keep straight what subdivisions belong to what houses and a lot of my fave books are self-published. But I definitely have must read authors that I automatically read no matter what!

My TTT Post

April 20, 2017 at 7:00 pm

True that! It is touch to keep track of which imprint goes with which publisher – so many of them have a LOT under the "parent" company.

Indie books have become so popular these days, and I love seeing them reach new heights and better recognition. :)

Favorite authors are the best! When they keep writing such amazing stories that don't disappoint, why not stick with what makes us happy?

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Lauren Stoolfire

April 20, 2017 at 2:27 am

I can't resits try a favorite author's newest material! :) Great list!

April 20, 2017 at 7:03 pm

It's always exciting when we see a new book by a favorite author, isn't it, Lauren? Who can resist a shiny new book!! :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Tressa S

April 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Love this, Rissi! It made me think about why I pick up the books I do. :)