Top Ten Tuesday | All the Eye Cover Candy For Days! (aka, the Top Ten Tuesday Post with Rissi’s Name Written ALL OVER IT)

May 2, 2017
Hey, my fellow book readers and friends. Happy May, all. How
did we get here? Are you in awe? Because I sure am. Today’s bookish post is
brought to you by the ladies of Broke and Bookish – and let me tell you,
today’s topic has this girl’s name written all over it.
Broke and Bookish May 2: Cover
Theme Freebie: top ten covers that scream
Spring, ten books with ice cream on the cover, ten books with blue covers, etc.
etc. THIS ONE COULD BE REALLY FUN and I can’t wait to see how creative your
lists are! – Broke and Bookish

Those of you who’ve hung out
here for a while know why this is tailored for me. But if you don’t know, I’ll
let you in on the secret. *wink* I love swooning over, talking about and
sharing cover art. This means when I feel so inspired I put together what I
dub, “Cover Candy” posts not only to spotlight some of the new cover reveals I
spy, but also in the hopes some of you will have some thoughts and want an
outlet to share. (You can find evidence of this, simply by searching the “
Cover Candy” tag – but first, keep reading here.)
A good cover design is
important. At least I think it is. Why is this? Because it’s the first thing
that catches our fancy. It’s the cover art that makes us pause, look closer and
click on the book. I’ve had the pleasure of interviewing some very talented
cover artists and have my own notions of how a cover begins. Here are some of
those.
Of course, any good cover
design begins with the right tools. To start, there’s a blank canvas of
possibilities. But what comes next? A sketch perhaps? An idea? Popular trends
that saturate our culture? A concept is put in motion no matter how it begins.
Then the book has to be “framed.” It has to find its center: what does it need
to spotlight? What will best portray its story and synopsis without
giving too much away.
Next we throw some color and
maybe some texture at the cover. How about some typeface? Or a silhouette? (A
concept that seems a trend these days.) What else? Pretty much anything a
designer’s imagination can dream up. Really, when it comes to artistry and
artistic possibilities, is not the sky the limit? I’d say, yes!
Today, I’m looking at a few
of my favorite covers, broken into categories. Let’s have a look.
COLORS! The covers that have
happy hues

My Unexpected Hope by Tammy L. Gray | The hues of this cover design, and how it “melts” together to create a picturesque
scene has a “soothing” quality that’s lovely. Amazon | Goodreads
Right Where We Belong by
Deborah Raney, Melissa Tagg and Courtney Walsh | Need I say more? This color
palette is stunning. I’m inspired! Amazon | Goodreads
COUPLES! The covers that
feature smiling and swoony couples (because I am in the minority, and I like
models on covers)

When Tides Turn by Sarah
Sundin | If you know these characters (who have appeared in books one and two
of this series), you’ll know, this cover is perfect
for their characters. Amazon | Goodreads
Meant to Be Mine by Becky
Wade | Adorable. What more is there to say? Amazon | Goodreads
P.S I Like You by Kasie West
| For the market and genre, this book is cuteness overload. Amazon | Goodreads
FONTS! The covers that tell a
story through their typefont and by virtue, their titles

To All the Boys I’ve Loved
Before by Jenny Han | This one could also go in the “colors” category (but the font, in this design, is the dominant force); there’s
something so beautiful, calming and elegant about these covers. Amazon |
Goodreads
Everything, Everything by
Nicola Yoon | A cover that tells a story in and of itself. Amazon | Goodreads
SILHOUETTES! The covers that
use silhouettes to evoke a sense of whimsy

Engaged in Trouble by Jenny
B. Jones | Whimsical is an understatement. I’ve a feeling this cover is only a
smidgen of the wonderful story hidden underneath it. Amazon | Goodreads
Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton
Lodge | CANNOT wait to read Hillary’s next novel, which begins her new series.Amazon | Goodreads
Lady Jayne Disappears by Joanna
Davidson Politano | This one is a little different than the other “silhouettes”
I’m featuring. It’s actually the “silhouette” of a lady rather than an outline
or “drawn” concept. But I liked it, so there you go. Amazon | Goodreads
______
FINDING WONDERLAND on
BOOKTUBE
________________________________________________
That’s a close to today’s Top Ten Tuesday. Tell me what do
YOU think makes a good cover? How do you trend when it comes to a darn good
cover design? How did you spin today’s “your choice” topic? I’d love to get our book nerd on and chat
all things books. Let me know those thoughts below in the comment section.
If you’re a new reader/follow, welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself and your blog.
If you’re a frequent visitor, thank you for the support.
If you’re a fellow Top Ten Tuesday participant, don’t forget
to leave your links. I’d love to swing by and visit your bookish interwebs
home.

Finding Wonderland

• Geybie’s Book Blog

May 2, 2017 at 4:33 am

I love To All The Boys I've Loved Before and Everything, Everything covers. I instantly know what I'm getting into. :)
    I love the other covers too. So gorgeous. I do love looking at beautiful covers but nowadays I'm more carefull to buy books based on their covers alone. I used to do it A LOT. ;)
    Anyway, awesome list. Thanks for sharing! :)

May 2, 2017 at 5:19 am

Great point – especially 'All the Boys.' I haven't read that novel in full, but its cover seems to tell the reader exactly what they'll discover inside.

I still do this, Geybie! But I do think I've improved some. Even if a cover is pretty, I buy it if the story sounds good or I trust the author/publisher, etc. More than one thing factors into my decision. Usually. ;)

Thanks for visiting today!

2. Geybie’s Book Blog

May 2, 2017 at 5:49 am

Same here. I trust books from the authors that I'm more familiar. :)

3. Rissi

May 5, 2017 at 12:54 am

Definitely! And there's never anything wrong with that. We like the books that are going to make us happy or sweep us away, and trusted authors know just how to "speak" our language. :)

• Anonymous

May 2, 2017 at 4:49 am

I can't help but adore beautiful covers. They always scream out to me. :-) Fabulous list!

May 2, 2017 at 5:17 am

Me too, Chrissi – and good thing too! Because I suspect that what authors and designers go for. :) Thanks, always, for visiting.

• Louise // Exploring by Starlight

May 2, 2017 at 5:25 am

I 100% agree with you that cover designs are important, it's the first thing we see! I'm not usually fond of couples on covers, but the ones you picked are pretty cute, I will admit to that :)

May 5, 2017 at 12:59 am

I've heard from a lot of people who don't care for couple covers. Nothing wrong with that. Thank goodness there are lots of creative designers who's vision of what works and what doesn't is all so different. :)

Thanks so much for dropping in, Louise.

• Greg

May 2, 2017 at 7:24 am

I like creative fonts, and the right pick of color can really set a cover apart. And I like couples too or modeled covers in some circumstances. You've got some nice ones here, I like My Unexpected Hope a lot, and Everything Everything is nice too.

May 5, 2017 at 1:06 am

Everything, Everything is so creative and best of all, it matches so very well with the concept and story.

I agree with your points: creative fonts (and the placement of them – I really like the trend of covering the cover design in the title font) and colors are game changers. :)

Thanks so much for dropping by, Greg, as always.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads

May 2, 2017 at 9:37 am

I love all of these, but especially the happy hues and the nice fonts. To All The Boys I've Loved Before combines both so that's probably why it's one of my all-time favorite covers :)

May 5, 2017 at 1:07 am

'All the Boys' is a stunner, isn't it, Lindsey?? My goodness. Whoever designed it knew what they were doing when this concept was born. I've only read part of the book, but it seems to fit with the theme beautifully. :)

Thank you, as always, for making Finding Wonderland one of your stops. :)

• Fiction Aficionado

May 2, 2017 at 10:14 am

Love these covers! I really like the cover art style on Right Where We Belong and Engaged in Trouble. My TTT: http://wp.me/p6UZ6M-7ya

May 5, 2017 at 1:08 am

As do I! Those silhouette styles seem to be trending and I must say, I'm a fan. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Lori

May 2, 2017 at 11:16 am

I love the covers for To All the Boys and Everything, Everything! They're two of my favorites! Great picks, Rissi!

My Top Ten

May 5, 2017 at 1:10 am

MINE TOO, Lori! The entire Lara Jean series is book art magic – we want to frame them, right?? :) 'Everything' is so unique and "textured" plus it matches its story to a T.

Thanks, as always, for dropping by. :)

• Poem fanatic

May 2, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Right Where We Belong has such an attractive cover! I love that it's colourful without being an eyesore.

May 5, 2017 at 1:17 am

Isn't it? The amount of color and whimsy balances perfectly – plus I think the "neutral" tone of the backdrop brings everything together nicely. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Poinsettia

May 2, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Covers do entice me to pick up the book, but I don't think I've ever bought a book based solely on the cover. The blurb has to be good too. Nice list! I like how you divided it into different categories. I like all the covers is the silhouettes category! Here is my TTT.

May 5, 2017 at 1:18 am

Good for you! That's a very good thing. Sadly… I have. ;) But far as I can remember, it's always worked out (because I do read about the book too).

Me too! They're so cute and whimsical, plus I like the differing "styles" of silhouette. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Julie

May 2, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I love books that have a great font. I'm always drawn to those ones. I get frustrated if the title is too hard to read, or hard to find. Great list!

May 5, 2017 at 2:34 am

I love fonts on covers too, Julie – especially a pretty scripted (or simplistic) font that covers its cover. It makes for a unique trend. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Sarah Sundin

May 2, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I'm thrilled that you loved – and featured – the cover for When Tides Turn! The models totally reflect Dan, Tess, and their relationship! I'm so pleased with the work.

May 5, 2017 at 2:37 am

Though it's not indicative of any work I did, I'm entirely pleased with this entire series, Sarah. The covers are gorgeous and the stories inside? Priceless. Congrats on this series – and I cannot wait to learn more about your 2018 collection. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Miranda Atchley

May 2, 2017 at 4:24 pm

So many pretty covers here, Rissi! Engaged in Trouble is so neat and all of Sandra's covers are pretty. Jane of Austen is such an interesting cover.

May 5, 2017 at 2:42 am

Jenny's cover is whimsical fun times 100. It fits perfectly with what I imagine will be a wonderful story. 'Jane' is not only one of my most anticipated reads, its cover stuns, so that's a double reason to make it a "must read" in my book. :)

Glad you stopped by, Miranda!

• The Book Filled Day

May 2, 2017 at 4:35 pm

I love covers with pretty fonts! They make such a difference!

May 5, 2017 at 2:49 am

That they do. And so do I. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Melissa Tagg

May 2, 2017 at 9:03 pm

YAY thanks for including Right Where We Belong! We were so excited to get to do something a little different (at least, different for the inspirational market) on this one. I'm so happy you like it!! And I ADORE so many of the others you included. Hillary Lodge's is one of my favorites I've seen in years!

May 5, 2017 at 3:08 am

My pleasure, Melissa. Your cover is adorable (one of my new favorites!), and I also love your new Walker cover too. The colors, font and scene make me smile each time I see it.

Hillary's is a stunner. I love every little detail about it. It's swoony!

Thanks so much for dropping by. :)

• Aylee

May 2, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I'm with you, I love swooning over my favourite covers! I try not to judge a book by its cover too much… but of course it is always going to be that first initial impression! Love your choices (and graphics) :)

May 5, 2017 at 3:11 am

I do (just a book by its cover)… way too much, Aylee. Beyond that, I do of course, look at the synopsis, the author and publisher. If it sounds appealing with all that combined, I tend to buy it. ;) (Plus I take into account reviews.)

Thank you for visiting and your kind words. I do have fun playing at designs. :)

• Jess @ Dreams of Faerytales

May 3, 2017 at 2:15 am

Those are pretty covers, especially Kasie West's books. Great list, Rissi and thank you for stopping by. :)

May 5, 2017 at 3:13 am

Aren't Kasie's books darling?? All of her covers scream "cute"! And I love it.

My pleasure! Always enjoy visiting all the Top Ten Tuesday participants, your bookish haven included. Thank you for the visit, Jess! :)

• Kirsty Chronicles

May 3, 2017 at 9:53 pm

I also love covers and I think my favourite thing is pretty fonts on a cover, I'm just such a sucker for it 🤷🏼‍♀️! Great post!

May 5, 2017 at 3:14 am

Pretty fonts are always a win! I agree, Kristy. :)

Thanks so much for dropping by.

• Chrystal

May 5, 2017 at 1:51 am

I love how thought out your post is. I think a good cover has a great font, good title and something interesting to draw you in whether that be the colours used or image.

May 5, 2017 at 3:15 am

A good title! That's another great one, Chrystal. A good title can hook a potential reader as quickly as an attractive cover it. :)

Thanks so much for visiting. I appreciate it.

• Bekah M.

May 7, 2017 at 1:02 am

Love how you did this post, Rissi! Your graphics themselves are swoon-worthy. Ahhh, these covers are all. so. pretty. I want them all! Made me smile to see Meant to Be Mine…that continues to be a favorite. Everything Everything is gorgeous. Really want to read Engaged in Trouble, because Jenny B. Jones. ;) It'd different from her other covers, but I really love it!

May 11, 2017 at 9:00 pm

I want them all, too! (FRAMED!)

Meant to Be Mine is 100% an all-time favorite. I'm still so impressed with that story. (And love that one of your reviews is quoted is on the back Becky's book – A Love Like Ours, I think.)

I CANNOT WAIT TO READ Jenny's. (Can you tell I'm a little excited?? ;D)

Glad you visited!

• Carrie

May 7, 2017 at 6:28 pm

aaa! Engage Muppet flail! I love your picks!! My TTT

May 11, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Thank you, Carrie! I had so much fun. And I'm looking forward to catching up with your Top Ten Tuesday posts. :) Appreciate you visiting.