Casting News: Little Women

July 12, 2017 18 Comments

Hello, readers. Today I’m coming to you with a random “casting scoop” post. Most of us receive instant news through whatever our favorite social media outlet is, but in case you want to gush some more, I do want to share this delightful bit of news.

BBC and PBS are adapting a 3-part miniseries of Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women.
Casting News: Little Women #FWarchives Click To Tweet

Yes, ’tis true, the British Broadcasting Corporation (who is always brilliant) is taking on this timeless tale for our screens, to debut, presumably in 2018. I am so freaking excited about this! Much as I adore the 90s adaptation, discovering a new take on a classic story for a new generation is always something that makes me smile.

Since there is news of its cast (most of which is filled), I thought I’d share a little bit about this all-star cast.

CASTING NEWS: LITTLE WOMEN

Cast in the role of Aunt March is Angela Lansbury who boasts a number of prestigious credits, more recently, in her role of Jessica Fletcher from the TV show, Murder, She Wrote. (And yes, I have watched this entire series. Twice.)

British veteran Emily Watson will play the role of Marmee. I’ve not seen her in a great deal of films, but those I have include Belle, A Royal Night Out, Gosford Park and Testament of Youth. From what I know of her, she seems a solid choice for the March family matriarch.

Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke’s daughter (thanks for the trivia, Rachel!), Maya Hawke will play daughter Jo. She hasn’t been in anything that I can find, but in terms of her “look,” it seems as if she’ll be a wonderful Jo March.

Willa Fitzgerald is playing eldest daughter Meg. I’m familiar with Willa’s work from Royal Pains, and can see her being a convincing Meg.

Amy will be portrayed by Kathryn Newton. No stranger to TV, Kathryn has played in Big Little Lies and Supernatural.

Casting News: Little Women. Chatting up the cast news for the BBC miniseries by Louisa May Alcott. All text © Rissi JC

Annes Elwy will star as the sweet-natured Beth. A relative newcomer to the (screen) acting gig, Annes is again a great addition in terms of a good “picture” of who Beth is.

Finally, Jonah Hauer-King is cast as Laurie. While I haven’t seen him in anything, Jonah is also in the upcoming Howard’s End miniseries, so we’ll have ample chance to see him in some great period drama!

This cast list does impress (so far). I like that casting directors and producers went with a young cast, and also relative unknowns. For this viewer, it makes the intrigue factor all the greater, because I’m going into the production without expectations (from past performances, etc.). A big hole in the cast is, of course, the role of Professor Bhaer. So, the questions remain…

Who would you like to see in this role? Anyone immediately come to mind? Do you like the cast so far?? Have you seen any of these actors in roles? Comment all of your “Casting News: Little Women” thoughts down below with your thoughts! ♥

Thanks for visiting! Come back soon.

• Faith July 12, 2017 at 2:26 AM

Mind is blown! BBC is doing a Little Women miniseries! I had no idea, thank you for sharing this LIFE CHANGING INFO! I am literally now texting my sisters to let them know lol

• Rissi July 12, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Isn't this fabulous, Faith??? I'm so excited to see how it all plays out! :)

• Carlyn Brody July 12, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Yay! I look forward to watching this.

• Rissi July 12, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Hope you enjoy, Carlyn! I'm eager to see this one too. :)

• Korin July 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Can't wait for a new version (as much as I loved the '90s one, like you) of "Little Women"! And I agree- when I saw BBC was doing it, that just made it all more exciting!
    Hmm, an actor for Professor Bhaer? I'm not sure, although I think my sister thought of a great one once, although I can't remember who he was…

• Rissi July 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM

I'm the same, Korin. So excited to see what BBC does with this story. I've a feeling, it'll be wonderful. :)

Thinking of an actor to play the Professor is a blank for me too! I just cannot think of anyone I'd like… *thinks some more*

• Brittaney July 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM

I am so excited and can't wait to watch this! I like that they are using less familiar faces for the March sisters. That way I can view this with out being distracted by who the actress is.

• Rissi July 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Me too, Brittaney – and I cannot wait to see what comes with this "unknown" cast. Like you, I appreciate that's the route this production went, because, yes, I like the idea of NOT having an idea of who everyone is already. :)

• Catherine July 12, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Ooh casting looks good! I'll reserve judgement on Laurie but the girls all look like great choices :D

• Rissi July 14, 2017 at 6:56 PM

I'm excited about the girls too, Catherine! I especially love that they're "unknowns" which means I won't have an opinion of them going in. As for "Laurie," I like the way he looks fine, but haven't seen him in anything, so again… like you, I'll reserve judgement. :)

Cannot wait either way!

• Sam Kozbial July 13, 2017 at 12:13 AM

I had no idea. This is very exciting news!

• Rissi July 14, 2017 at 6:57 PM

Isn't it?? Cannot wait to see the image stills and of course, the production. :)

• Lauren Stoolfire July 13, 2017 at 3:37 PM

How have I missed this?! I'm pleased to Newton has been cast – I like what she's done on Supernatural. :)

• Rissi July 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM

I've not seen Newton in anything, but am glad to hear you like her, Lauren. So far it's shaping up to be a great cast! :)

• Shannon/ It Starts at Midnight July 16, 2017 at 3:58 AM

Oooh this sounds good! I read the book a million years ago, and watched the 90's movie, but I'd definitely watch this one. The only one I know is Angela Landsbury, and true story, I thought she was dead. Oops? Thanks for bringing her back to life ;)

• Rissi July 19, 2017 at 3:06 AM

I haven't read the book! I know. But do love the film. (The 90s version.)

Oh, dear! You know, I've had that reaction (thinking an actor had died) sometimes too! ;) It happens. I think the last thing I saw her in was maybe, Nanny McPhee??? (Right…?) And that was YEARS ago! As for the rest of the cast, I like that they're unknown. Makes the excitement (because we don't know what to expect all the greater).

Thanks for stopping by, Shannon, as always. :)

• Anonymous August 27, 2017 at 2:45 AM

I cannot express how excited I am for this miniseries, a fresh new take on one of the first novels (and period films) I fell in love with. I am also estatic with the actresses chosen for the March sisters, as when I look at them I can actually SEE Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy.

Now, while I wouldn't have even considered Emily Watson or Angela Lansbury for Marmee and Aunt March, I admire their individual track records enough to be hopeful, though I am still quite a bit leery about Dylan Baker as Mr. March.

The casting choice that had me squealing the loudest however was when I saw that Julian Morris is going to be playing John Brooke; don't get me wrong, Eric Stoltz was fine, but to have a much younger, MUCH more attractive (subjective opinion here!) actor in the role, not to mention heaps more time to devote to the evolution of his and Meg's relationship, is cause for celebration. I have a feeling, much like Sense and Sensibility 2008 did for Elinor and Edward, that this version is going to make me fall in love with John and Meg (and I REALLY hope they include a proposal scene we get to watch unfold this time!)

Lastly, I am reserving judgement on their Professor Bhaer until I see him act, but look-wise he is not terrible, so yay! I'm also over the moon we are apparently going to meet his nephews!!

Thank you so much for providing a forum to fan-girl about this, and the great post!

God Bless,
    Eleanor Rose

• Rissi August 29, 2017 at 12:33 AM

Aww, that is SO cool, Eleanor. I'm glad you feel like this is a perfect cast (March girls). Hopefully they'll further reinforce the already wonderful nature of this piece.

Yeah… I'm not sure I'll love Baker as Mr. March either. But since his role is less important, I'll probably tolerate him even if he's not my favorite. ;)

ME TOO! I am so thrilled with the cast of men who capture the hearts of these March women – including those who don't. ;) I liked the men (I most remember Bryne and Bale) fine in the 1994 film, but yes, these guys all suit the parts. Or at least, in a purely physical manner, they do. ;) I like their "looks" all too. I've seen Morris in OUAT, but don't remember him much. And I've seen Stanley in Dickensian, but again, I'm not sure I remember him much. If I'm thinking of the right character (Dickens always has SO many), I thought he was fabulous.

Love your comparison to the 2008 'Sense' miniseries. Excellent point. Hopefully this series will take its cues from it. (Which is, in my opinion, a brilliant production.)

My pleasure. Thank you for fangirling. Love to chat with fellow fangirls about all these fun things. :)