Top Ten Tuesday | Throwing it WAAAY Back (aka Books I Read Before I Knew What the Term “Blogging” or Word “Blog” Meant)

September 12, 2017 33 Comments

September 12, 2017 33 Comments
Hello,
friends. After taking a week off from “Top 10,” Finding Wonderland is returning
to the fun. We may have woke up today (or for night owls like me, be going to
bed) with the calendar telling us today is Tuesday… but we’re channeling our
inner Throwback Thursday with a blast from the past.

Broke and Bookish September 12Throwback Freebie: Ten Books I Loved
During The First Year I Started My Blog, Favorite Books Published 5 or 10 or 15
Years Ago, Ten Older Books I Forgot How Much I Loved, etc. etc. Tweak however
you want! – Broke and Bookish

Ok. So how to spin
this topic? It’s one of the easier topics I’ve recently put together, but it
also requires the Top Ten Tuesday-er to do some leg work and dig through the
graveyard of “old reads.” I’m not really sure what I was loving the first year
I blogged. *Looks through blog’s review archives* This might be for a couple of
reasons.
A. I have a terrible memory (a very likely truth)
B. I didn’t review books during my first year of blogging
(Or very few in comparison to more recent years)
So between this combination of facts, I’m unsure what to
feature today. That said, I did decide to go ahead and split this up into “two
parts.” The first five titles are books I reviewed or read during my early days of blogging (or as best I can
remember). The latter five titles are Older Books I Forgot How Much I Loved
(because they need more love).
As we do (nearly) every Tuesday, let’s get to listing.
1. The Selection by Kiera Cass | This one was read and
reviewed in my early days of the blogging game. More pertinent than that (aka
why it’s on this list) is that this is really the book that started my
I-like-YA-fiction journey. Amazon | Goodreads

2. Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden | One of my most
favorite from this author. A beautiful historical read that I’d often like to
re-read (and don’t because OHMYGOSH!
Look, at my TBR!). Amazon | Goodreads

3. Beastly by Alex Flinn | Different than its film
adaptation, this one (another “early days” YA read) is still a lovely read for
those who enjoy contemporary fairy tales. Amazon | Goodreads

4. A Journey by Chance by Sally John | According to my “book
review” tag (which may not be accurate considering I do forget to properly tag
things!), this book was my first-ever book review. My memory of the story
particulars is fuzzy, but I do think I enjoyed this series. Amazon | Goodreads

5. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks | My first Nicholas Sparks
read. I’ll admit: Yes, I do enjoy his books. Only problem is, I haven’t read
one in a while because there hasn’t been any film adaptations recently (I read
them prior to the new films releasing). Amazon | Goodreads

Part 2 >>
1. Fire by Night by Lynn Austin | It’s been years since I read this one. But my
finishing PBS’ Mercy Street reminded
me of it. As I remember, it’s a fabulous 5-star kind of story. Amazon |
Goodreads

2. True Devotion by Dee Henderson | Ah, the heroics of a Navy
hero. Before Dani Pettrey (my favorite!), I read this series. Of course, I love
the nod to the military and the wonderful way in which the author portrays the
military. Amazon | Goodreads

3. One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury | I don’t know
that I can say I “enjoy” this series because tears! That said, it’s a beautiful story about the aftermath of
9/11 and just one example of the
emotional fallout of the attacks. Though fiction, the idea and emotions of the
story are no less complex and well, emotional.
Amazon | Goodreads

4. Somebody Like You by Beth K. Vogt | LOVE this wonderful
contemporary romance. In fact, just thinking back on it (which I read several
years ago) reminds me I’d really like to read more by Beth. Amazon | Goodreads

5. The Princess by Lori Wick | An oldie sweetheart of a story
that I read long before blogging.
Someday I’d like to revisit its charming world. Amazon | Goodreads

*publishes tomorrow afternoon; channel linked above
______________________
That’s it for another week and another Top Ten Tuesday. Tell
Me, have you read any of these? Are there any old reads you feel all the
nostalgic feels for? Tell me about them and how you spun this week’s topic. I
look forward to chatting with you – here and on your own bookish havens. (Leave
your Top Ten Tuesday links because I’d love to visit.)
Thank
you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: before you go, check out the book giveaway

• Amanda Holmes September 12, 2017 at 4:11 am

I enjoyed the movie based on Beastly, so I should go back and read the book.;)
    I'm curious to look back on my first book reviews. I think "First Date" by Krista McGee might of been the first one.;) I was terrible about tagging things (still am), so I don't know that I want to look back that far.;)

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Someday I should go back and read Beastly. The film is quite different from the book (which reads a little "young" in comparison to the adaptation), but it still, nonetheless a sweet fairytales.

I've not read First Date but did love Krista's Right Where I Belong.

Thanks so much for visiting, Amanda.

• Anonymous September 12, 2017 at 4:28 am

I have to admit that I really enjoy Nicholas Sparks books as well! :-) Great list!

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:37 pm

YAY! Glad to meet another Sparks fan, Chrissi. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Louise ✨ September 12, 2017 at 4:44 am

I haven't read any of the books on your list but I have had The Selection on my TBR for forever now. I'll get around to reading it someday :)

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:38 pm

This is a feeling I know all too well, Louise. Books on my TBR (for eons) is not unusual for this girl. ;)

Hope you enjoy – and thanks for dropping by!

• Lianne @ eclectictales.com September 12, 2017 at 5:04 am

Haha, I think I do remember you not book blogging much in your first year of blogging. Funny how time flies and how much we've grown and changed with our blog :)

My TTT

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Isn't it? Always interesting to look back and see how much we change. I think I kind of "fell" into book blogging the more I blogged. It was like I suddenly realized there was a "book blogging" community that was ALL ABOUT BOOKS. It was probably this that really reignited my love of reading too. So really, I own this community a big "THANKS!"

Glad you stopped by, Lianne! :)

• Anne Bennett September 12, 2017 at 5:29 am

I read another book by Alex Flinn and was completely charmed. What a fun look back. My TTT

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Her books are indeed charming, Anne. Such sweet, "easy" reads. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Greg September 12, 2017 at 7:13 am

I think I read the Selection when I first started blogging, and was exploring YA for the first time. I barely remember it, but not because it wasn't good- I think it's just been so many books ago?

Great list!

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:43 pm

I've been there, too, Greg. Sometimes, we simply forget the particulars because, well, as you say, it was too many books ago!

Thanks, as always, for visiting!

• Jess @ Jessticulates September 12, 2017 at 8:40 am

Great list! I haven't read any of these (and haven't heard of a lot of them) but it's been a lot of fun so far this week to see some of the older books bloggers loved once or still love now. =)

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:45 pm

For sure, Jess. Always fun to see blogger's backlists and either a. be reminded of a book we meant to read way back when or b. discover a new-to-us read. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Debra E. Marvin September 12, 2017 at 11:47 am

Some new to me books here, but OH YES for the familiar. One Tuesday Morning might be a good read for someone who wasn't old enough to recall how completely stunned we all were.
    Thanks!

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:50 pm

True. I hadn't thought about One Tuesday Morning in that light, Debra. But you make an excellent point. I remember being really invested in Karen's 9/11 series, but for me, I wouldn't say they're "happy reads." :D

So glad to have you stop by! Thank you. :)

• Poinsettia September 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I haven't read any of these, but I do like fairy tales, so I might check out Beastly. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Fun! Hope you enjoy Beastly if you decide to read it. :)

Thank you for visiting!

• Lisa of Hopewell's Public Library of Life September 12, 2017 at 2:32 pm

The Selection is the only book of that genre that I've ever finished! And, I love Lynn Austin. If you liked Mercy Street you might like a these: https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/top-ten-books-with-the-civil-war-as-the-setting/ I also did a post just of books for Mercy Street (hospital story) lovers, but most are also in the linked post.

• Rissi September 15, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes certain genres just don't suit us. :)

Glad you too are a Lynn Austin fan. I haven't read her more recent books, but I do remember being under this series' spell. And YES! Mercy Street is so good. Too bad it's been cancelled (and thanks for the link).

Glad you stopped by, Lisa. :)

• Sara @ Forever 17 Books September 12, 2017 at 3:07 pm

How have I not read any of these? Though I have seen the movies for Beastly and The Lucky One. It's interesting to go back and see what we liked in the beginning. :)

• Rissi September 16, 2017 at 12:02 am

I have this reaction while visiting Top Ten Tuesday posts WAY too often, Sara. :)

…it sure is! If you're like me, sometimes I go back and wonder, "…and I read that, why??" ;)

Thanks for visiting!

• Ashley September 12, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Okay first off you blog is to die for! It's so cute and clean cut I am in love with the design and content
    I agree The Selection is such a fun read and it's a great one to get you into YA
    I don't read a lot of contemporary books, but I really did enjoy The Lucky One.
    Great list!
    New follower!!
    Ashley @ Books To The Tea

• Rissi September 16, 2017 at 12:05 am

Hi, Ashley. Thank you! I appreciate the kind words/feedback. I'm always glad to know this is a pleasant visiting experience for readers. Thank you so much for being a following – welcome! Please know you're welcome to join the convo anytime.

The Selection sure is a the perfect entrance into YA. Such an easy, simple and yet completely entertaining read. Love my contemporary reads! Which is funny since I'm a big Costume Drama (TV) fan. For some reason though, when it comes to reading, I don't read a lot of historical fiction.

Thanks for visiting!

• eli @ the (book) supplier September 12, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I love your take on this topic, and I love the way you set up your photos.

Happy reading,
    eli @ the (book) supplier
    My TTT

• Rissi September 16, 2017 at 12:05 am

Thanks so much, Eli! Appreciate that – and you stopping by. :)

• Shannon/ It Starts at Midnight September 14, 2017 at 3:07 am

Aw this is so fun! I was thinking of doing it in a similar way, books I first blogged about, but I cringed so hard when I went back hahah. I just opened a bunch of the Goodreads links to check some of these out, because they sound so good! I love that The Selection was a YA Gateway for you- I feel like SO many of us have those! (Mine was The Hunger Games hah) and it's so fun to reminisce! Great lists!

• Rissi September 16, 2017 at 12:31 am

…I relate, Shannon. Boy do I relate. (I cringe all the time in response to my early stuff, too. But I've been returning to the archives here and there – when I have the time, and giving my old stuff an edit or deleting old meme posts.)

'Selection' was the perfect YA gateway. Such a fun, easy read. (And I still love it today!)

Thanks for visiting – and I agree. It is fun to reminisce. :)

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense September 14, 2017 at 3:45 am

I totally forgot about Beastly. I don't remember much about it, but I do recall that I enjoyed it more than the movie. Also, you are not the only one with a bad memory. If it wasn't for joining Goodreads, I'm not sure I could come up with an adequate list.

• Rissi September 16, 2017 at 2:39 am

I'm glad you liked Beastly, Alicia. I don't remember a great deal about it either, but I haven't re-watched the film a few times. It's just so cuuute!

Thank goodness for a. Goodreads (RESOURCE!) and b. our blog archives. Without them, I wouldn't have a clue what I posted when. ;D

Thanks for visiting, Alicia!

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads September 14, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Oh, The Selection! I totally forgot about it, but it's one of those books I loved as well and I think I read it just the year before I started blogging :) Nicholas Sparks is one of my golden-oldies as well, though I also haven't read any of his books since a while now.

• Rissi September 16, 2017 at 2:45 am

The Selection is, for me, an easy, romantic and fun read. I've read its sequel, but not beyond that. Still, I'd really like to read the rest of the books despite the controversy about those spin-off books. They're still fun reads!

I haven't read any of Sparks new releases. I was reading them in correlation with the film adaptations, but since they're haven't been in a while, it's been the same for me – no Sparks reads.

Thanks, as always, for stopping by, Lindsey!