Top Ten Tuesday | Why These Books Stand Out (Hint: Today, It’s Because of their Titles!)

October 24, 2017 47 Comments

October 24, 2017 47 Comments
Hello, and happy #BookishTues, fellow readers and friends.
Today’s Tuesday and on Finding Wonderland, we celebrate by joining the bookish
meme that is Top Ten Tuesday.
Broke and Bookish October
24:
Top Ten Unique Book Titles –
Broke and Bookish

(This post does contain affiliate links; read the disclosure page for details.)
So unique book titles… I
cannot say that I’ve run across that many.
This sounds strange I know, but as I sit down to write this meme, I’m
wondering: what books have I read with uber unique titles? Chances are there
are some, but bringing them immediately to mind escapes me.
Not to be deterred, I’m determined to come up with ten. I
shall not let this prompt be any kind of legit bookworm undoing. Let’s do this!
*looks at bookshelf*
*peruses all the books*
After a little bookshelf browsing inspiration, we’ll
hopefully have enough content to create our list of ten. Some of these might
not sound unique because of the
common words in their titles (but it’s the use of these words that matters) or maybe their titles sound super unique, but I’m going to (shamefully) confess I haven’t
yet read most of these unique books.

Why is a mystery I’ll have to unravel.

With all that said, let’s have a look at the ten books
fitting with today’s ask.
1. Rook by Sharon Cameron | This title could go one of two
ways – or it could be in reference to both. Rook could be a “what” or “who,” or
it could be in reference to the game of chess. Or… what else could it be
suggesting? Rook on Amazon | Goodreads
2. Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe | This title is more cute
than unusual, but I love it nonetheless. It’s been on my shelf for far too long, so here’s hoping I read it
soon. Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe on Amazon | Goodreads

3. Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard | Had to
add this one as an obligatory creep-close-to-October-31. Plus, I AM curious
about this story – something strange and
deadly
?? What’s strange??? Why is it deadly? Way to intrigue! Something Strange and Deadly on Amazon |
Goodreads
4. When We Collided by Emery Lord | An action title that I
suspect is inspired by its emotional narratives. When We Collided on Amazon | Goodreads
5. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas | Why is someone ruling
a throne of glass? Is the actual throne made
of glass? Is the entire kingdom festooned in glass? Is it metaphorical? No
matter how you look at it, don’t you want to know what this throne is all
about? Throne of Glass on Amazon | Goodreads

6. The Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olson | A sandcastle
empire?? What could this book be about… color me curious. The Sandcastle Empire on Amazon | Goodreads
7. How to Disappear by Sharon Huss Roat | Saw this one at Barnes and Noble,
decided not to pick it up and then, found it inexpensively listed on Amazon. It’s
about a girl who creates online profiles to boast her popularity (which is, in
the beginning, nonexistent). How to Disappear on Amazon | Goodreads
8. Hearts are Like Balloons by Candace Robinson | Why are hearts like balloons… I wonder! Coupled with its adorable
cover design, I’m all the more curious about this novel, which sounds emotional
but lovely piece of literature. Hearts are Like Balloons on Amazon | Goodreads
9. The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith | As a
fan of contemporary romance, I cannot wait to read more by Jennifer. Loved her ‘Hello,
Goodbye’ novel, so I anticipate only the best from the rest of her books. Plus,
who else thinks her novels have THE best covers and TITLES!! The Geography of You and Me on Amazon | Goodreads

10. The Evaporation of Sofi Snow by Mary Weber | Way to amp up the unique-title game!! Love this title, and of course, the story too is exciting. The Evaporation of Sofi Snow on Amazon | Goodreads
BONUS! Unique Titles I overlooked when putting above list
together
11. The Hidden Memory of Objects by | This is one I don’t
know much about, but its title has a thumbs-up-way-to-intrigue look. Have you
read ‘Objects’? The Hidden Memory of Objects on Amazon | Goodreads
12. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green | I’m going
back-and-forth on reading this one. I liked The
Fault in Our Stars
but wasn’t pumped about Paper Towns (film adaptation). That said, this new John Green novel
seems to be living up to its hype (via reviewers), so the question remains: YES
or NO!? Amazon | Goodreads

13. The Heart Between us by Lindsay Harrel | A beautiful
cover art is the backdrop for an equally lovely title. There’s a reason it’s
the title font that takes front and center in this design. Amazon | Goodreads
14. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes | This is a novel I’ve not
read (nor seen the film because of this!), and though I know it won’t be a “me”
story (spoilers are a girl’s best friend), this title is interesting. Why is
someone putting themselves before someone else? Since we’ve been taught
otherwise (morally and grammatically), this immediately begs questions that
intrigue. Amazon | Goodreads
*publishes tomorrow afternoon; channel linked above
______________________________
Those are ten of the unique book titles I found! How did you
spin this week’s meme? Did you stick with the prompt or go for a rebel spin and
topic? What books did you feature; have you read any of these?

Let’s chat. Tell me all the bookworm, fangirl thoughts! I
look forward to chatting with you and visiting your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland

• Amanda Holmes October 24, 2017 at 4:03 am

How to Disappear looks like it could be interesting! I will have to add a few of these to my TBR list.;)
    I just went with weird titles, not necessarily ones I have on my list or even want to read ever…

• Rissi October 24, 2017 at 4:20 am

YAY for for a growing TBR. Hope you enjoy those you added to yours, Amanda.

It's fun to come up with titles that just seem weird even if you don't plan to read them. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Literary Feline October 24, 2017 at 4:12 am

I like your take on today's topic, Rissi. I went with a commonly used title-or part of one, anyway–instead of unique because my brain just wasn't wanting to go there this week. I really like the sound of The Hidden Memory of Objects. I haven't read the book, but the title alone makes gives me pause for thought. I also really like the title When We Collided (another one I haven't yet read though). Thank you for sharing!

• Rissi October 24, 2017 at 4:22 am

I know, right?? I couldn't come up with any unique books titles either and in fact found myself thinking of more today while I was working on finishing this post – little late then, but I added them anyway. :D

Me too! I'm curious about 'Objects,' and had forgotten about it until I put this post together. Emery's books are fan favorites, so I'm hoping it'll be a good read. :)

Thank you for visiting.

• Tara @ One More Stamp October 24, 2017 at 4:43 am

I agree! This was a hard week! I have not heart of The Evaporation of Sofi Snow but now I need it. I love that the title works on a couple of levels and the cleverness of it. Need, right now.

• Rissi October 24, 2017 at 5:16 am

YAY! Hope you enjoy 'Sofi Snow' if you read it, Tara. :)

So glad to have you stop by.

• Tangled N Books October 24, 2017 at 5:07 am

Great list! Have a lovely week! Our TTT

• Rissi October 24, 2017 at 5:18 am

You too! And thanks for visiting. :)

• Anonymous October 24, 2017 at 7:46 am

I love your commentary on these titles! A lot of them certainly are intriguing. :-)

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:40 am

Thanks, Chrissi – and thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Flipping Thru the Pages October 24, 2017 at 8:56 am

Turtles All the Way Down made it to my list too :) I read it a few days back and it is really amazing. Definitely the best book of him. Highly recommend.

My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2017/10/top-ten-tuesday-6-top-ten-unique-book-titles/

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:41 am

Fabulous!! I totally caved and picked up a copy of 'Turtles,' so I'm curious to discover what it's all about. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Nina October 24, 2017 at 9:44 am

John Greens book! Yes, I agree that title does sounds very interesting. And I just think the cover stands out.

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:43 am

The cover of 'Turtles' DOES stand out. I 100% agree, Nina. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Deb Nance at Readerbuzz October 24, 2017 at 10:35 am

The Heart Between Us grabs me with title and cover. A cool title and the Eiffel Tower? Sold.

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:45 am

Same! I'm so curious about 'Heart.' The title AND cover are both lovely, so of course, it's on my MUST READ list. Cannot wait to discover the story inside. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Deb.

• Suzanne at The Bookish Libra October 24, 2017 at 10:45 am

Great list. Turtles All the Way Down made my list too. I haven't actually read it yet though. Hope to get to it soon.

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:46 am

Cool! Hope we both enjoy 'Turtles,' Suzanne. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Lauren Stoolfire October 24, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Rook is pretty awesome by the way!

Plus, Me Before You is more like How I Was Before I Met You. :

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:47 am

It sounds awesome! Looking forward to discovering the story inside. :)

…also, love your sum up of Me Before You. Someday, I shall read this one.

Glad you stopped by, as always.

• Lauren October 24, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Nice choices!! I have Turtles All the Way Down to read soon, and I love the title – I saw John Green live last week and he explained where the title came from (though not why it suits the book of course) and I just love it even more. lol

-Lauren

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:48 am

How cool! Always fun to see a favorite author at an event – or I'd imagine it is (I haven't gone to any bookish events). Glad you like the title all the more after hearing its inspiration – I bet there's quite a story there! :)

Hope we both like 'Turtles.'

Thanks, as always, for visiting, Lauren.

• Michelle October 24, 2017 at 3:01 pm

The Sandcastle Empire totally got me curious when I first heard it. Also, Turtles All the Way Down is definitely eye-catching. Hello Caller is also one of my fave titles from when I first started blogging– great list!!

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:51 am

I have similar thoughts about all of the books you mention, Michelle. Definitely a lot of books to look forward to – and if there titles are an indication, the stories inside will be fun or as is likely 'Empire's' aesthetic, mysterious!

Glad you stopped by!! :)

• IloveHeartlandX October 24, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Definitely some interesting choices here!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/24/top-ten-tuesday-130/

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:53 am

Thanks so much for visiting, Jo. :)

• Lisa of Hopewell's Public Library of Life October 24, 2017 at 3:57 pm

John Green's new one had me scratching my head…can't wait to read it.

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:54 am

Same, Lisa! I'm sure there's a reason for it… but I'm stumped.

Thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Crazy Lady October 24, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe sounds really cute!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:55 am

I agree! Plus, the cover is super cute too. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Captivated Reader October 24, 2017 at 5:52 pm

All the titles you've chosen are very unique indeed!

Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:56 am

Thanks. It was fun to search for some. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Jessica | ReadingwithJessica October 24, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Love all these titles!! Great choices!!! I think my favorite would have to be: Turtles All the Way Down! This one has been on a lot of the TTT this week. Great post!!

My TTT:Unique Book Titles

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 1:58 am

I've seen 'Turtles' on lots of lists too, Jessica. It's tailor made for this week's topic though. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads October 24, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Something Strange and Deadly is definitely an eerie, intriguing title. Turtles All The Way Down sounds super interesting as well! And Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe sounds so cute :)

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 2:00 am

Seconding all your thoughts on those you single out, Lindsey. I've had 'Strange' on my shelf for eons. Yesterday, I caved and bought 'Turtles,' and 'Chloe' has also been a popular dust-gathering book on my shelf. But someday I intend to read them all! Thanks, as always, for visiting. :)

• AJ Sterkel October 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Great picks! Turtles All The Way Down has been on a lot of lists today.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 2:01 am

I've noticed this too, AJ! It's perfect for this theme. Great minds and all that… ;)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Tracy October 25, 2017 at 1:35 am

Great list! Something Strange and Deadly definitely caught my attention with its title too!

Here are my Top Ten!

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 2:02 am

Someday I shall read 'Strange.' I'm not sure it'll be my cup of tea, but I AM curious, and I'd really like to read another of Susan's novels. :)

Thanks for visiting, Tracy.

• Sarah October 25, 2017 at 2:52 am

Many interesting titles. I have always wondered the very same things about Throne of Glass that you have asked. And yet I am doomed to never know the answers, because I am 99.999999% sure I will never read it.

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 2:03 am

I've never read Throne of Glass, Sarah. That said, I have this notion that ideally, I'd LIKE to read the series (I own most if not all of the books). BUT the length of the books also intimidates me like nobody's business… so yeah. I'm kind of leaning more towards the whole NOT reading them thing at this point. Time will tell. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense October 25, 2017 at 4:00 am

I'm not sure if I'll ever pick up Turtles All the Way Down, but I do kind of want to know what is up with that title. I love the title Something Strange and Deadly. It makes it sound like the book is half horror and half thriller.

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 2:06 am

…I totally caved and bought a copy, Alicia. I'm not sure it'll turn out to be my brightest bookworm decision, but, well… if I ever read it, we'll find out. :D

'Strange' has been on my shelf for WAY too long. Ideally I'd have liked to read it or something similar this month for a seasonal read, but alas, I didn't accomplish this.

Thanks, as always, for visiting. :)

• Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies October 26, 2017 at 12:19 am

Great list! Me Before You is a terrific book, but the title caused a lot of debate in my book group — we couldn't figure out which character was the "me" and which the "you", and how that related to the plot. :) Hearts Are Like Balloons is a really fun title, and effective too — makes me want to know more!

• Rissi October 28, 2017 at 2:08 am

Good to know I'm not the only one wondering about 'You.' But I will admit, I still have to read it. :) Someday…

Isn't that fun? When a book title intrigues enough to "hook" a potential reader. Always a good sign I think.

Thanks, as always, for visiting, Lisa!

• Kourtni @ Kourtni Reads October 29, 2017 at 5:20 pm

You've got great choices this week!! I feel the exact same way you do about John Green's latest. I really enjoyed TFIOS, but I've read two of his other books and wasn't a huge fan of either one. But I love books with anxiety representation, so I think I might give it a try.