Hello, everyone, and welcome to Finding Wonderland. It’s no secret that we love to chat all the Hallmark Christmas movie talk around here; whether it’s reviewing all the Christmas originals (there are over 40 across two networks this year…!) or other listicles, Hallmark is a frequent “guest” around here. Today’s a little different in that we have a look behind the scenes on The Christmas Club, a novella to film adaptation based on the novel (of the same name) by author, Barbara Henski. This post is brought to you via a guest post from Barbara.
Today, I welcome Barbara as she shares a fun “behind the scenes” look at the filming process and some of her most fond memories of the process. Join me in welcoming Barbara as you read on to have a look inside her “memory book” and enjoy this fun experience through her words.
The Christmas Club: Behind the Scenes
The Christmas Club, my Christmas novella, was purchased by Crown Media and made into a 2019 Hallmark Channel Christmas movie. I’ve written about what a dream come true that was here (live link inserted). As if having my story made into a Hallmark Christmas movie wasn’t enough, my husband and I got to spend a week on location during filming. That was an experience I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. In addition to every single cast and crew member being extremely professional, warm, welcoming, and downright kind, here are my “best of” moments:
- The Hallmark culture that you see in front of the screen is what goes on behind it; these folks are the real deal.
- If there is a world record for Fitbit steps in a day, it has to be held by the assistant directors on a Hallmark shoot. These folks are in perpetual motion.
- You hear about how efficient the circus was when it came to town back in its heyday—the circus could have nothing on Hallmark set dressers/makeup, wardrobe, and hair crew/evergreen crew/sound/lighting/script—the list is endless. They all worked together like an oiled machine.
- It’s hot out when they film these movies. The actors remove their scarves and coats between takes, but if you’re a female star, someone sticks a curling iron on your head! Yikes!!
- The cast and crew eat constantly. They break for a generous lunch, but someone is always circulating with a wagon of sandwiches, snacks, or water. They’re all in motion the entire time, so they burn off the calories.
- Background noises in a city—sirens/helicopters/city busses—frequently make themselves known and necessitate retakes.
- Producers and directors notice something out of place from 1000 yards. Their attention to detail is uncanny.
- It is positively thrilling and quite emotional to hear actors say the words that you’ve written.
- They asked my husband and I if we’d like to be in the background! Look carefully at the people in the bakery. My “Alfred Hitchcock” moment is when I’m seated at a table with Gertrude, eating cheesecake (which was delicious). My husband is sitting on a bench seat along the back wall.
A Fun Look Behind the Scenes of ‘The Christmas Club.’ Enjoy a guest post on the Christmas Club with Barbara Hinske on the "behind the scenes" of her book as a movie. #TheChristmasClub #ChristmasMovies Click To Tweet
Thank you so much Barbara for joining Finding Wonderland’s Hallmark Christmas movie fangirl-ing! I appreciate you sharing some memories of your time on set, a few secrets of movie-making, and wish you all the best on this new adaptation.
You can see The Christmas Club premiere on Hallmark Channel, Wednesday November 27th. Check your local listings for specific times.
Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland