‘The Selection’: A YA Dystopia Faces Courage in a Love Story. A YA book review of Kiera Cass' popular dystopian. All review text (unless noted) © Rissi JC

Exciting Novel News! ‘The Selection’ Comes to Netflix

April 14, 2020 10 Comments

All of us have those guilty pleasure type stories that make us tie a kind of nostalgia to them. One of mine is The Selection penned by Kiera Cass. A series of, originally, three novels, the series inspired two spin-off like novels, and for years, has sparked rumors of a TV or film adaptation. In fact, a number of years ago, there’s a pilot featuring Aimee Teegarden, William Mosley and Ethan Peck. But, recently, good news has come; you’ll see The Selection on Netflix (!!!). At least this is what the rumor mill says. Someday.

LIST | The Faces of a Romance Adaptation: The Persuasion One

Given that the publisher’s official blog, Epic Reads, breaks this news, I’m pretty sure this is more than a rumor, but as of yet, we know nothing of the cast, timeline or the “when” of its debut. But here’s what Epic Reads does say:

The film rights were initially optioned (and a director was brought on in 2016), but since then it’s been a waiting game, and Kiera Cass has been ever so patient with us asking for updates pretty much all the time.

Haifaa Al-Mansour is attached to direct The Selection movie and we are here for it! She’s an internationally-acclaimed director from Saudi Arabia and has shown that she’s more than capable of handling stories that are both entertaining, awe-inspiring, and incredibly deep. – Epic Reads

Though I don’t really have any casting ideas off the top of my head, I feel as though I would like unknowns to take on the roles. But since I’m not “up” on all the up and comers, I cannot put names to faces or vice versa. What I will say is, Netflix feels like this will be a good place for this, as would any streaming company. It seems as though the film will do better here than elsewhere. While I know this is “old news,” given how much I’ve talked about this series, and hoped to someday see an adaptation, I couldn’t skip out on not sharing about this.

From what I see, this will also just be a feature film that covers only the titular first novel. While I am trying not to get my hopes up too high given sometimes the translation from page to screen comes out wrong. That said, I do like what Netflix has done with To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, so I’m hopeful. Here’s to crossed fingers.

Exciting Novel News! ‘The Selection’ Comes to Netflix. Have you heard?? We'll see Kiera Cass' The Selection on #Netflix! #TheSelection #BookNerd Click To Tweet

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

You can find the novel, The Selection, on Amazon.

Tell me, are YOU excited? Will you be watching this adaptation? Do you like or dislike these books? What do you think about The Selection on Netflix; who would YOU cast? Comment all of your thoughts below.

Exciting Novel News! ‘The Selection’ Comes to Netflix. Have you heard?? We'll see Kiera Cass' The Selection on Netflix! Text © Rissi JC

• Angela April 15, 2020 at 7:27 AM

This is so exciting! I love these books, they are just fun escapes!

• Ruth A Hill April 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM

Oh my goodness!! I even got my mom to read this series I loved it is much!!

• Rissi JC April 28, 2020 at 3:06 PM

Really!? That’s so cool, Ruth. Hopefully the Netflix show will have some of the same “feels” that we like about the novels. :)

• Tracy @ Cornerfolds April 15, 2020 at 3:17 PM

I am SO HYPED for this! I loved the trilogy and I’m super excited to see it made into a movie!

• Rissi JC April 28, 2020 at 3:14 PM

SAME!! I still need to read The One, but I’m sure I’m going to love it. :)

• Carlyn April 15, 2020 at 6:32 PM

I’m excited to hear that theere will be a movie. I can’t wait to see all the beautiful costumes too.

• Rissi JC April 28, 2020 at 3:15 PM

Hi, Carlyn! Nice to “see” you again. :)

YES! The costumes should be gorgeous! It will all be lovely on-screen, or that’s my hope. :)

• Ashley S. April 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM

I’m so excited for this! I have high hopes it’ll be good! :)

• Rissi JC April 28, 2020 at 3:20 PM

Me too, Ashley – and the costumes should be smashing! :)