Film Teaser: Into the Woods Photos

October 23, 2014 16 Comments

Today EW has released more photos of the upcoming Disney musical extravaganza that is Into the Woods, which we’ve chatted about earlier this year. Last time I was in the theater, I saw the teaser for this film and was – if possible – even MORE excited for the holiday 2014 release. From what I gather it’s a kind of “mash up” of multiple fairytales including Cinderella, Rapunzel and Little Red Riding Hood, that somehow all connects back to a an evil witch (played by Meryl Streep) who is in the wish granting business, but as all fairytale wishes do, these come with strings attached. Here’s a brief synopsis:

Into the Woods is a modern twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales in a musical format that follows the classic tales of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel-all tied together by an original story involving a baker and his wife, their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the witch who has put a curse on them.

Film Teaser: Into the Woods Photos #FWarchives Click To Tweet

The movie is rated PG and arrives in theaters Christmas Day.

Have a look at the pretties!

INTO THE WOODS PHOTOS

Film Teaser: Into the Woods Photos. Upping the excitement for Disney's upcoming fairy tale with MORE photos! All text (expect where noted) © Rissi JC

Cinderella’s Stepmother (Christine Baranski, center) with evil stepsisters Lucinda (Lucy Punch) and Florinda (Tammy Blanchard)

Rapunzel (Mackenzie Mauzy)

Rapunzel’s Prince (Billy Magnussen)

The Wolf (Johnny Depp) and Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford)

The Baker (James Corden) and Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford)

Concept art of The Woods

Production employed a tree scout but had a ringer in production designer Dennis Gassner, a former lumberjack. ”I would walk through Central Park and photograph trees, and it was really about informing ourselves visually because, tree by tree, each one has character and individuality,” says Gassner. ”Sondheim is a puzzlemaker, and so you’re going to be putting a puzzle together as intricate as the story and characters and songs, and that goes through with the design in every way.”

Image Credit: Dennis Gassner/ © 2014 Disney Enterprises

Cinderella (Anna Kendrick) and The Baker’s Wife (Emily Blunt)

Cinderella’s Prince (Chris Pine)

Designer Colleen Atwood’s sketch of Cinderella’s Prince

Atwood pulled from various time periods—”days of olde, with an e,” she says—for all the costumes, but kept certain outfits in their familiar place, including the high romance look of Rapunzel and the Princes. Image Credit: Costume Design by Colleen Atwood/© 2014 Disney

Cinderella (Anna Kendrick)

The Baker (James Corden), The Baker’s Wife (Emily Blunt), and The Witch (Meryl Streep)

The Baker (James Corden), The Baker’s Wife (Emily Blunt), and Jack (Daniel Huttlestone)

Designer Colleen Atwood’s sketch of The Witch

Streep, along with her frequent design partner J. Roy Helland and Atwood, worked out every detail of the Witch’s post-transformed look. ”I wanted there to be a big difference between the short, hunched witch and the tall and beautiful one,” says Streep, who sported four-inch heels. ”The movement, we talked about a lot. I’m an old theater horse and have kicked a lot of trains around in my life.” Image Credit: Costume Design by Colleen Atwood/© 2014 Disney

What do you think, guys? I’m pretty darn excited and am even more so now I’ve learned Colleen Atwood is the costume designer – she is a great visionary for period films and it’ll be fun to see her creations come alive in full HD glory.

• Heidi Robbins October 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I've never seen the play so I'm excited to see the movie, especially Anna Kendrick as Cinderella!

• Rissi October 24, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I've not seen the play either, but I guess Disney has made the film much more family-friendly as in comparison, so I'm glad for that – the play is very adult. And Anna will be lovely as Cinderella; she seems like she'd kind of break the normal "idea" of the character and I think that's neat. :)

• Hayden October 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

The costumes for this are amazing!!

• Rissi October 24, 2014 at 1:43 AM

I agree; it's shaping up to be FANTASTIC, which I heart. :)

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com October 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

OMG I can't wait.

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com October 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Maybe I'll convince my sister to go see it with me on Christmas day.

• Rissi October 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Neither can I, Juju; it's going to be fantastic – and YES! You should totally convince your sister. My mom and I are so going though we'll probably wait until after Christmas considering how crazy busy the theaters are over the holidays. :)

• Bekah M. October 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM

These cool pictures just made me even more excited for this movie's release–like you!! Originally I hadn't heard of 'Into the Woods', but I'm quickly learning that it's pretty popular. The designer's sketches are incredible…SO excited!! Great post, Rissi! :)

• Rissi October 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I agree, Bekah; I thought it was cool that EW put in the sketches in along with the stills – makes the process all the more unique. Definitely seeing this one in theaters sometime before it leaves the local theater because, ahhh! It looks awesome. :)

• Rachel Hoyt October 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM

These pictures are so preeeetty! I'm in love with the costumes and the mix she does of time periods. I've never seen the musical, but I'm really excited to see this. :)

• Rissi October 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Same here, Rachel; Colleen is awesome at costume design, so if nothing else, that element will be epic – here's hoping the story is as well. :)

• Ella October 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM

So cool!!!
    Thanks for posting the released photos:)

• Rissi October 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Aren't they awesome!? Cannot wait to see this one – and you're welcome. I love sharing gush-worthy things. :D

• Shannon October 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

My girls and I can't wait! This looks amazing, right up there with Maleficent! :) Love the darker Grimm (tastic) tales!

• Rissi October 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Yay! Me too, Shannon; hoping this one is good – like you probably will, my mom and I are going to see it sometime during the holidays. :)

• […] Into the Woods, don’t you look […]