The Huntsman, Winter’s War Trailer

November 18, 2015 14 Comments

Back in 2012, a re-telling of Snow White appeared in theaters. It starred Kristen Stewart and fan favorite, Aussie star, Chris Hemsworth. I thought, though very dark, the concept was well done and I loved the nuances and subtle changes the script wove into the film. In reality, the adaptation may be closer to the original canon than we realize considering the Grimm brother’s fairy tales are, in their origin, dark and dangerous.

The Huntsman, Winter's War Trailer. Sharing the trailer for the fantasy film The Huntsman with Chris Hemsworth. All text is © Rissi JC

Now, in 2016, filmmakers are inviting us back to this twisty world by giving us a sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman. Or more accurately, they are giving us mix of both? This is a prequel and sequel? Over its filming and pre-filming stages, there have been lots of conflicting reports about this film – would it be a sequel? Was Kristen Stewart return? – and on the list went. But given my reading of it, I think it’s going to take both ideas (Stewart is still not returning), and make it into something that tells the Huntsman’s origins while also visiting the future after Snow White and the Huntsman’s tangle with Ravenna.

FILM REVIEW | Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
The Huntsman, Winter's War Trailer #FWarchives Click To Tweet

Today I spotted the first trailer for this one and I have to admit, this film looks epic! I’m not sold on it being a sequel simply because I liked the direction ‘Snow White’ was heading, but nonetheless, this one looks too good not to see. The designs and costumes not to mention the cast all look to serve this film to its greatest potential. Here is a synopsis of the film:

Long before the evil Queen Ravenna (Theron) was thought vanquished by Snow White’s blade, she watched silently as her sister, Freya (Blunt), suffered a heartbreaking betrayal and fled their kingdom. With Freya’s ability to freeze any enemy, the young ice queen has spent decades in a remote wintry palace raising a legion of deadly huntsmen —  including Eric (Hemsworth) and warrior Sara (Chastain) — only to find that her prized two defied her one demand: Forever harden your hearts to love.

When Freya learns of her sister’s demise, she summons her remaining soldiers to bring the Magic Mirror home to the only sorceress left who can harness its power.  But once she discovers Ravenna can be resurrected from its golden depths, the wicked sisters threaten this enchanted land with twice the darkest force it’s ever seen.  Now, their amassing army shall prove undefeatable…unless the banished huntsmen who broke their queen’s cardinal rule can fight their way back to one another.

The film opens April 2016.

Have a look at the trailer

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this trailer and film! Comment down below with any thoughts you have.

• Ivy Miranda November 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM

It actually looks really good!

• Rissi November 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM

I agree, Ivy! But then I'm all for any and all fairytale-esque productions. ;)

• Shantelle H. November 18, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Wow, it does look quite epic and thrilling! I must say, I fast-forwarded a lot in Snow White and the Huntsman because it was so dark … but I may want to try this one someday! :)

• Rissi November 20, 2015 at 5:49 PM

I agree, Shantelle, the first film WAS dark. In fact, I remember by surprised how dark it was. But nonetheless, I did wind up liking it and as you say, this one looks thrilling. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. :)

• Bekah M. November 19, 2015 at 7:34 AM

This whole prequel/sequel thing really confuses me, but I have to admit this trailer is pretty awesome. Love the Blunt and Chastain additions! Sill gonna miss Stewart/Snow though. :( Anyways, thanks so much for sharing this one Rissi! I hadn't seen this yet…looking forward to it! :)

• Rissi November 20, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Me too, Bekah. Me too. I think it's going to start off by telling The Huntsman's origins (when he was little?) and then skip forward to Ravenna's return and pick up where "Snow White" left off? Or that's my best guess. Either way, those new cast additions look fabulous and much to my surprise, I too will miss Kristen as Snow. *sigh* I'll just hope this sequel is too epic for me to notice. ;)

• Joni November 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM

The trailer definitely caught my attention. (Can you say, "POTENTIAL"?) I liked SWatH and this sequel (?) seems like it has all sorts of fun bits thrown in. I just how the Ice Queen (yay Emily Blunt!!!) doesn't get "Frozen" gimmicky. Also, it was hard to tell how much Character the Huntsman will have by the trailer… Everything looks fantastically pretty, I just hope there's also some meat to the story.
    Thanks for sharing! I'm excited and curious about how this will turn out. ^^

• Rissi November 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM

My reaction was the exact same, Joni. If this trailer is any indication, this film screams with potential. I'm super excited about it despite the new change and cannot wait to spend more time in this world because I do really like Chris's "Huntsman." (Plus that line about him taking on two queens and their entire army was funny… so hopefully they'll be bits of humor.)

Thank you for coming by to share your thoughts! :)

• Meghan Gorecki November 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM

This looks so good. Definitely want to try and see it when it comes out despite my not having scene Snow White and the Huntsman. (Kristin Stewart: eehhhhhhhhh not a fan)

• Rissi November 20, 2015 at 5:55 PM

It does indeed, Meghan – and hopefully, this one will stand alone in some sense for those who haven't seen/aren't interested in SWATH. Ironically (I'm not a K-Stew fan either), I think her absence will somewhat harm the film… unless she's been written out by killing off her character. I'm conflicted because on the one hand I think making this a strict prequel would have worked best but there are drawbacks to that to, so… yeah. Either way, I hope this one is good! :)

• Wesley Hoffmann November 19, 2015 at 9:25 PM

I still talk about the carnivorous butterflies in the first movie. I'm scarred! haha

• Rissi November 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM

That first movie was DARK and at times, creepy, I agree, Wesley! I'm looking forward to re-watching SWATH at some point prior to this sequel and hopefully, this one will turn out to be good albeit likely creepy, too. :D

• Dawn Janis November 23, 2015 at 2:56 PM

It doesn't matter to me what Chris Hemsworth will be doing in that movie. He could be reading a phone book, and I'd happily pay money to see him. :)

Actually this one looks a lot better than Snow White and the Huntsman.

• Rissi November 25, 2015 at 1:27 AM

LOL, you do have a point, Dawn! I'd be much the same. ;)

I'm glad you are more intrigued by this than SWATH! Let's hope it's as good as it looks.