Carrie Underwood: Good Girl

Credits: Carrie Underwood, Chris DeStefano and Ashley Gorley
Label: 19 Recordings
Genre:
Country, Pop
Debut: #1
My Thoughts: although “Good Girl” has a ring of
familiarity to it, it does not diminish how awesome
this track is – seriously. Each time I listen to it, I like it more. (I’ve
probably listened to it half-a-dozen times since its release Thursday!) As
early reviews have claimed, Carrie nails this song – yet again. In much the tradition
of her prior tracks, I don’t feel like we are being asked to listen to a song
that has been sung time and again only with different titles and words (example
being “Cowboy Casanova”) but rather another destined-to-become-number-one-single
from an artist who is multi-talented.

The message
of the song itself has a good-bad vibe going for it. On the one hand, it is
encouraging girls to stay away from guys that are “bad news” but on the other
hand, in getting there, some of the lines aren’t always above criticism. At its
best, the song tries to steer ladies in the direction of relationships that
involve a “hand you can hold” and a marriage with a “white wedding.” Plus its message
isn’t double-sided like the title might suggest. I was expecting a girl-power
song in which the “good girl” was one who was labeled as such but underneath
was really a wild thing. Instead it is an anthem about a girl “with a heart of
gold” recognizing when something (a relationship) is not good and the signs
that should lead us to walk away. If I had to pick, I’d chose this song over her
“Cowboy Casanova” from
Play On any
day.
Carrie sounds
fabulous on this single – at the top of her game, as does the easy, breezy
tempo of the song; the hand-claps and little hints of rock-tempo that come through in the song
just seem to “complete” the singer’s current single, which is also the first
off of her upcoming, untitled fourth studio album. If this is any indication of what the
American Idol alum has in store for fans, I will be counting down the days for
the release of said album.
The Lyrics: His
lips are dripping honey but he’ll sting you like a bee / So lock up all your
lovin’ go and throw away the key / Hey good girl / Get out while you can / I
know you think you got a good man
Hey good girl / You got a heart of gold / You
want a white wedding and a hand you can hold / Just like you should girl / Like
every good girl does / Want a fairytale ending / Somebody to love

• Ella February 25, 2012 at 6:37 am

I just bought this!! And yes, I have listened to it four times already =D I do love some of the catchy tunes that might not have the most positive of message (like "Temporary Home" "Mama's Song" for example)….yet I don't care =D

And you and me both….I am counting down the days for her new CD!!!

• Trinka February 25, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I like it {I just listened to it on youtube} but…it's not really my thing… I mean, the lyrics are great, but I'm not into the country/pop thing :P …But I do like her "Before He Cheats" :)
    It's not one of her "cleanest" but…I just like it :)}

• Natalie February 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

LOVE this song! Thanks for sharing about it =) Went and bought it!

• Rissi February 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Ella – I was only half-interested in the song when I heard Carrie had a new single to promote her new album. Something about it just didn't appeal to me – but then after each listen I loved it!

Cannot wait until that May 1st album release. =)

Trinka – that's cool; I love a variety of music. Until about six or seven years ago, I wasn't all that "into" country music either but my cousin kind of got me interested and ever since then, I've found several artists who I enjoy within the genre.

"Before He Cheats" does have a catchy beat but as you say, it isn't the "cleanest" of Carrie's signature songs – still as long as we keep that in perspective, it's a fun listen. =D

Natalie – cool! Glad you enjoy this one too. ;D

• Lydia October 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm
    • Rissi October 30, 2012 at 3:10 am

You and me both, Lydia. :)