Give Thanks

November 22, 2012
    Every year,
    Thanksgiving Day brings up a bounty of memories and traditions that come flooding into
    our minds as if they happened only yesterday. The day
    represents something special in traditional activities but also our history and
    heritage. Although it’s a common holiday we share and celebrate, for American’s
    Thanksgiving Day may hold a different meaning. It may be merely another day for
    those who still have to go to a 9-5 job, for others, it could signify seeing
    family members that we’ve not seen all year or it may be a tradition of helping
    out others.

For my family, Thanksgiving holds more of a traditional meaning. We
    are either at home or spend the better part of the day with my mom’s family but
    whichever one works out, we always enjoy a meal with all the trimmings, watch a
    customary version of Miracle on 34th
    Street
    and have lots of laughs. (Since my family is hosting this year, who knows how things will turn out! *fingers crossed*)

Today is the day in
    which we all sit down to a beautifully set table that is not just laden with
    our best china but also a meal that proudly boasts a turkey as its centerpiece.
    We are used to this American tradition including our loved ones around the
    table and enjoying the meal that those hands prepared. Too often we lose sight
    of what also the day represents – it’s a day to remember, and be thankful for
    all the blessings we’ve been privileged to hold. While it is not wrong to enjoy
    the meal, a parade or shopping (is there really any other type of “Black
    Friday” shopping other than sitting in front of a computer screen… in pajamas
    and clicking “buy”?), if ever there was just one day when we should recall our
    bountiful blessings, Thanksgiving would be it. In daily life, I often forget
    how blessed I am to live in a free country. To be a part of the family I am. To
    enjoy… life. It’s something I take for granted far too often… and it shouldn’t
    be.

On this day, I wish
    you all a wonderful holiday filled with the simple joy that surrounded by loved
    ones brings: Enjoy your family, friends, good food and laughter!

Happy Thanksgiving,
    friends!

• AnnaKate

November 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Rissi. =) I'm thankful for your blog and the way you make me smile…. xo

1. Rissi

November 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm

The same to you, AnnaKate – I hope you and your family enjoyed a wonderful day. :)

Thank YOU for all your lovely comments and sweet spirit – I always enjoy your wonderful blog space. :)

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com

November 23, 2012 at 3:26 am

Well said my friend. Happy Thanksgiving :D

1. Rissi

November 23, 2012 at 5:39 am

Same to you, Juju – I hope you and yours enjoyed a wonderful holiday!

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

• Ella

November 23, 2012 at 3:30 am

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, my friend! And I am sure that you did a wonderful job at hosting!!

1. Rissi

November 23, 2012 at 5:40 am

Thanks, Ella – you too, friend! Our day was full of good food and laughter and that is what counts. :)

LOL! My mom is the REAL hostess – she loves to set the table and use decorations so basically… I was just there for the food. ;D

• Natalie

November 23, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Loved this! Happy Belated Thanksgiving! =D

1. Rissi

November 24, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Thanks, Natalie – that same to you. I hope you and your family enjoyed a great day. :)

• Jack

November 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I hope you had a very nice Thanksgiving! With lots of family members about and an enjoyable time!

1. Rissi

November 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I certainly did, Jack – I hope you enjoyed the same happy day. :)

• Rosie

November 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I hope it went well! :D I love family traditions. Sadly, because of our move we weren't able to do one of our favorite traditions, but that's okay. There's always next year. :)

1. Rissi

November 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Aw! Sorry you missed out on some traditions, Rosie… but you had a new kind of excitement with the house! That IS exciting. :)

Regardless, I hope you had a special day – ours was lovely. :)

• Deidre

November 24, 2012 at 6:27 am

Yes! It's so true, it's often hard to put in perspective how lucky us Americans are. Happy Thanksgiving.

I also love the traditions each family has I think that's why thanksgiving memories are so clear and strong the pure repetition of the day!

1. Rissi

November 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Traditions are what makes the day special, Deidre. We do forget all too often how fortunate we are. That should be what we are most thankful for. :)

I am so glad you dropped by! I hope you visit again, Deidre. :)