A Cookie Cutter Christmas (2014)

November 9, 2014 8 Comments

Many fans have been waiting for this film to premiere and
all I’ll say is those fans will enjoy this movie.

Ever since they were small children, Christie Reynolds (Erin
Krakow) and Penny Miller (Miranda Frigon) have been friends-turned-rivals. It
all began with a Christmas children’s pageant when Penny stole Christie’s solo
and ever since then, the two have been competing against each other – even to
this day. Both teachers, the two women enter the Christmas cookie bake-off with
a winning prize being a class trip for the winning cookie recipe. Things get
more complicated when a new student transfers to Christie’s class and her
single dad, James (David Haydn-Jones) catches both Christie and Penny’s
attention.

If my fandom radar is telling me anything it’s that Hearties
(the official fandom for When Calls the Heart) is going to make this a popular movie for the 2014 Countdown to
Christmas season because of Erin and indeed, fans will enjoy seeing her in a
vastly yet not-so-different role – seriously, when it comes down to basics, she
does essentially play the same character only it’s in a contemporary role.
There are disastrous baking results, competition for a guy and of course, the
profession as a teacher. Sounds familiar, right!? It’s a formula that
admittedly is familiar and blissfully, with exception to one or two
cringe-inducing no-no’s (laughs or no, said moments are a peg or two
over-the-top), it does work.

With some flaws here and there, this is another darling
Christmas flick to air on the Heart of TV network. As aforementioned, there is
one serious “taking-it-too-far” scene that the writing just went overboard with
in the rivalry issue and that is a scene at a party that involves a piano and
singing. Every other attempt to “one up” the other I could deal with and
thought was cute, but that one scene… just took things a little too much with a
side of ridiculous. Looking past this, there’s nothing to complain about with
regards to this delicious treat. There is plenty of sweetness in the cozy
scenes between Christie, Lily and even James which leaves us rooting for the
obvious all while making us hungry for some of our favorite Christmas cookie
recipes – and you may want a plate handy while enjoying this treat. You’ve been
warned.

Catch the premiere of A
Cookie Cutter Christmas
tonight, November 9th on Hallmark
Channel. If you tune into this one, let me know
what you thought!

• Hannah Barta November 9, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I thought this looked very cute–and I loved seeing Erin in the promo! But I won't be catching this one tonight … maybe later.

Did you get a chance to see The Nine Lives of Christmas? I loved it SO much! It was adorable. I couldn't believe it–I actually didn't want it to end … and with Hallmark movies and me that NEVER happens. I think I might even make a Christmas gift out of it ;)

walking in the air.

• Rissi November 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm

It is cute, Hannah aside from some of the petty "rival" stuff. Still, you might enjoy catching a re-airing of it sometime. :)

YES! As you discovered I did see 'Nine Lives,' how cute was that!? Like you said, it's one of their best ones and oddly enough, I almost skipped it. I'm glad to know you enjoyed it so – it's fun when a Hallmark movie inspires that reaction because they do have some cliché plot twists, and yay for Christmas gifts! :)

• Anonymous November 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm

This sounds like such a cute novel and makes me wish I had the Hallmark channel!

• Rissi November 11, 2014 at 12:11 am

It IS indeed cute, Laura – and this one is actually going to exclusively be available at Walmart stores starting tomorrow! :)

• Becky Ritta November 11, 2014 at 9:43 pm

This one just made me cringe–and that makes me sad, as I normally have a very high tolerance for the over-the-top nature of many Hallmark movies. The piano scene went way too far, and Penny was just too much. Take out the rivalry, and you'd have a really cute romance (and a really short film).

• Rissi November 12, 2014 at 3:22 am

I agree about that piano scene, Becky – ugh, that went over the top! As for everything else, I dealt with it and most especially just laughed off Penny's craziness. Sorry you didn't love this one but as someone who doesn't count this one a favorite, I totally understand. :)

• Éowyn December 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm

After finding it via your review my mother, younger sisters and I just watched (and liked) this film quite a bit! It's certainly crazy at some parts, but totally adorable too. :) And I thought several of the relationships were very well-done! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

• Rissi December 2, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Glad you liked this one, Eowyn! I got a laugh out of some of the antics and enjoyed seeing Erin in something else (she's also on Hallmark's When Calls the Heart) and as you say, found it cute. It's nice to watch some of these films during the Christmas season!

Same to you; hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful! :)