Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year’s Anna and Declan

February 20, 2016 18 Comments

Today, over on Silver Petticoat, I am again spotlighting a classic romantic moment. The reason for this is simple: there are simply too many (or is there such a term as “too many” when it comes to romance?) poignant, cute and darling romantic moments in cinema. This one falls into the “darling” category, and is found in one of my absolute MOST favorite contemporary romantic-comedies. This film is, Leap Year. And now we’re going to look at a Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year, just because!

RELATED FILM REVIEW | Leap Year (2010)
Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year's Anna and Declan #FWarchives Click To Tweet
Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year's Anna and Declan. Looking back on this Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year, just because! Text © Rissi JC

I’d argue that the end scene is still, these many re-watches later, one of my favorite “proposal” scenes – maybe even one of the best among its peer group. But instead of my continued ramblings, I’ll just leave a portion of said scene down below with links to read it in its entirety. Then, let me know what you think of this Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year scene. Or what your favorite scene from Leap Year is.

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

You can find Leap Year digitally on Amazon Video

Classic Romantic Movie Spotlight: Leap Year – Anna and Declan

THE FILM: Leap Year
THE PAIRING: Anna Brady (Amy Adams) and Declan O’Callahan (Matthew Goode)
THE MOMENT: “Making Plans.”

There are a lot of romantic comedies out there. Some are good for a night’s worth of laughs. Others are the kind we never tire of, no matter the clichés. For me, one of those movies is Leap Year. Cute in a more wholesome way, the plot is also darling. With 2016 being a leap year, I figured there was no better time than now to revisit on of my favorite romantic moments among the ranks of contemporary romantic comedies.

The Lead-In: Leap Year

A Boston girl through and through, Anna Brady has everything; the perfect career and boyfriend. Her dream shatters a little bit when, after four years together her boyfriend gifts her with earrings rather than the shiny engagement ring she was expecting. When he leaves for a conference in Ireland, Anna learns of the Irish tradition that allows a woman to propose to her boyfriend on Leap Day. Not about to be dismissed, Anna takes charge and books a flight. Continue Reading on Silver Petticoat ➔

This “Classic Romantic Moment” article first appeared on Silver Petticoat Review.

• Carissa Miller February 21, 2016 at 1:46 am

Leap Year is one of my favorite chick flicks. My favorite scene is the proposal scene where he answers her proposal with his proposal at the cliffs. Even before I saw Leap Year those Cliffs have been my dream proposal site because of The Princess Bride. Another favorite scene is the end scene with them in the car driving off with the suitcase "Louie" on top of the car.

• Rissi February 22, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Me too, Carissa. I adore this little chick flick. It's one of those modern romcoms that I never grow tired off – and from the moment she returns to Ireland to the end, the film is pure magic. :)

• Kristin February 21, 2016 at 1:49 am

I love Leap Year…such a cute movie! :) I need to watch it again soon.

• Rissi February 22, 2016 at 6:23 pm

As do I, Kristin. It's one of those rare romcoms I never become tired of re-watching. And PS; this is the perfect year for a re-watch. :)

• Meghan M. Gorecki February 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm

My mom and I are watching this movie next week in honor of the month ending. Such a sweet, hilarious rom-com. I do have to say I prefer Matthew Goode in this role to his role in Downton Abbey. ;)

• Rissi February 22, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Aw, that's fun, Meghan. That's part of the reason I decided to re-watch/spotlight this film too – that and I never get tired of this. It's one of the sweetest romcoms ever. I never disliked Goode as Henry, but his character had to grow on me. Suffice to say, by the end I totally "got" and liked him a lot more than his early days. That's thanks to some better character development which, thankfully, the writer's realized he needed. :)

• Amanda Holmes February 23, 2016 at 2:49 am

Leap Year is such a fun chick flick! I love how grouchy Declan is.;)

• Rissi February 23, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Me too. The banter between Declan and Anna is so fun. :)

• Lisa Colangelo February 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm

One of my favorite romantic movies.

• Rissi February 23, 2016 at 8:55 pm

For me as well, Lisa. It's darling. :)

• Kara March 1, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Such an adorable movie! I had a blast twitter-watching it with Amber last weekend. It never fails to make me grin! :)

• Rissi March 2, 2016 at 12:32 am

This one is worth watching any year, at any time, but it's a must on leap year, right!? Your tweets with Amber were so fun. *She admits* Yep, I eavesdropped. ;)

• Jessica March 1, 2016 at 11:08 pm

My Mom and I love this movie a lot! It's one of our favorites! :)

• Rissi March 2, 2016 at 12:38 am

Same here, Jessica. It's one of my most favorite contemporary romcoms. :)

• karen christanell September 12, 2020 at 4:51 pm

I have become totally obsessed with this movie. I love that the two characters have a feisty chemistry right off the bat. And the story moves along really quickly. I adore everything about the Bed & Breakfast part of the story (except “preparing” the chicken). But when he grabs her face to kiss her, and then the two of them realize that they really are kissing each other…there is such chemistry!
    Sigh***I could watch this movie on a constant loop and never get tired of it!

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:46 pm

I quite like this one, too, Karen. It’s such a charming film plus the scenery AND of course, yes, the cast is really good. Needless to say I’ve re-watched it a time or two. :)

• Tina August 26, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Karen, like you, too, I’m obsessed with this movie. I have watched it an embarrassing number of times. Just can’t get enough of these characters. However, I feel the movie just didn’t give us enough of Declan and Anna being together. When it ended I was left with wanting so much more from it. I wanted Anna and Declan to confess their love for each other, wanted them to talk about how they were trying to suppress their desires for each other towards the end of their travel across Ireland. I wanted to know what Declan was going to say to Anna after he left her in the hotel. So I tried to satisfy my craving for this movie by reading some fan fiction, which gave me some closure, something beautiful to think about in relation to these two characters. We need more of them I think.

• Rissi JC August 30, 2021 at 10:22 pm

I love these two together so I wouldn’t object. :)