Femnista: Literary Ladies of Fiction and Film

June 1, 2012 15 Comments

Femnista: Literary Ladies. Sharing the May/June 2012 issue of Femnista that spotlights literary ladies. Who would you pick as your favorite? © Rissi JC

The wait is over! The May/June issue of Femnista is here. Remember the “Literary Men” issue? This time around, we cover memorable leading ladies from the works of Jane Austen and Elizabeth Gaskell,  plus some newer faces from our contemporary world of fiction – some of whom you may find delight in discovering. I hope you all enjoy paging through this issue as much as I did – and as much as you did the edition filled with dashing leading men. Click on the link below to download this issue to print out  and read at you leisure or page through it by clicking on the tab “read Femnista” on the right-hand sidebar.

Femnista: Literary Ladies of Fiction and Film. #Webzine #Movies #JaneAusten #FWArchvies Click To Tweet

Next comes the Fantasy/Sci-Fi issue. In it, you can be sure we will pack it full of great adventures, princesses, and some cool superheroes. To finish out the year, there will be a “true story” issue and one dedicated to Tolkien. Now, readers, we’d love to have your input – what topic would you like to see spotlighted in 2013? Is there one Femnista hasn’t covered that you’ve been awaiting? If so, let us know – and let us know how this issue turned out! Enjoy!

Femnista: Literary Ladies – May/June 2012

• Charity June 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the publicity! =)

I'm also considering doing another Halloween issue this year. Ideas? Villains, maybe? That could be fun…

• Li June 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Isn't this issue fantastic?

I'm also psyched for the fantasy/sci-fi issue and the Tolkien issue–both up my alley in terms of genres and interests =D

• Ruth June 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I have got to read Kendra's book! :)

Charity – I think a villains issue would be loads of fun!! Great idea! :)

• Charity June 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Ruth: It would, wouldn't it? The only problem would be me picking just ONE villain I love to hate. I love far too many of them for it to be entirely healthy. ;)

• Rissi June 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Charity – my pleasure! This one has a great variety. =)

Hm… villains for a spooky issue… yeah that could work. ;D I don't know that I can think of any other ideas considering we already covered fairy-tales in the likes of Red Riding Hood and vampire things. You could do a focus on Grimm works or something of the kind but then we have featured a lot of "fairy-tales." In reality, Grimm's original works were very dark. There are definitely LOTS of villains!

Li – it sure is! I still have to read most of the articles but what I've read is great thus far. =)

The rest of the year for Femnista is shaping up to be grand – and I am sure 2013 will be as well! =)

Ruth – LOL! I hope you get it read soon. I really enjoyed it as it made me see Kendra in a whole new way – in my opinion Mary-Kate does her no favors.

• Charity June 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I liked Mary-Kate's interpretation of Kendra (she comes across as someone I would LOVE to hang out with — my mom busted out laughing when she turned up with a different hair color), but in fairness I never read any of the books. ANYWAY…

Villains would work. I thought about doing a Gothic Tales Volume 2 also (that could include stuff like The Wolfman, Sweeney Todd, etc) but… is there enough to fill it with? (I suppose so, if you included traditional ghost tales, such as the new Woman in Black, the Turn of the Screw, and so forth.) I also want to do an animated Disney issue, but would rather save that for a "proper issue" rather than a bonus issue.

Since we're doing sci-fi/fantasy next time, and Tolkien in December, I don't want to do fairy tales; it's too similar, and we'd run out of material.

If anyone has any suggestions about Halloween, I'm open to 'em!

• Li June 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I like the idea of a villains issue–would it strictly be from fairy tales and genres similar to that or would it be open to villains from any novel/television/movie/whathaveyou? Because for some reason Charles Dance's Tulkinghorn from Bleak House is coming to mind and he's certainly just a mere human, lol

• Rissi June 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Charity – I didn't NOT like MK in Beastly but in comparison to the book, I don't think she accurately portrayed the character – Kendra seems a much more human person (a girl who can be "bizarre," yes but also a normal teen) than MK's depiction would have us believe. In that regard, I just have to separate how Flinn wrote her and Mary-Kate's portrayal.

Sure anything with villains and/or Gothic would be ideal for a spooky issue. ;D Yeah, I don't know if there would be enough to fill a "Gothic tales" issue or not… I am drawing a blank just now on topics that I personally would write about (although I sure there are lots!) but then I am not in the frame of mind either! LOL!

Yes, I see where a sci-fi issue could conflict with a fairy-tale one – and I don't disagree at all. I was merely thinking of Grimm's works which tend to be darker than today's contemporary fairy-tales. Some are even relative unknowns.

Li – of course, Charity would have to give you the final "word" but my interpretation of her idea is that, yes, a villain issue would cover ANY character no matter his or her world so long as they were… "evil." ;D

Tulkinghorn is indeed an ideal villain. Human flesh and all. ;D

*Any more readers/contributors with ideas: Go ahead and comment! We want to know what you'd like to see! Type away*

• Charity June 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Yeah, sometimes you have to do that. It's rare when a movie gets a character right. =/

Gothic Tales would be a challenge for you, since you aren't into the vampires/ghosts/werewolves scene. I don't want to limit my regular writers!

Li — yes, villains would encompass any bad guy from any movie/book/television show. It would be fun to see what we wound up with — Magneto on one page, Tulkinghorn on another?

Tulkinghorn is such a … fink. I hate him. In fact, I think I hate him more than I hate any other villain in literature. Even more than Grandcourt from Daniel Deronda, and that's saying something! =P

• Rissi June 2, 2012 at 3:44 AM

It is more rare than not – you said it right. I love it when they do though, or even if I feel like the character is equally engaging…. just different.

Yes, Gothic would be a challenge but I am sure there would be some, I'd just have to think up some titles, and if not, I would "skip" the issue. (I think most of the writers would be able to write about something Gothic.) The only vampire movie I've seen was a very corny, cheesy, outrageous one! It was one of those TV "Librarian" titles and I'll confess, I had NO idea it was going to involve a vampire. Still, it was unforgettable.

I assumed you meant such an issue could encompass literary villains as well as mystical ones. Honestly? I don't know that I could manage enough things to fill a page about any villain! LOL!

• Ella June 2, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I am very much excited to read this issue!! Everyone's submissions looked fantastic!!

• Charity June 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I'm pretty sure if forced, I could fill the entire issue myself. But what fun would that be? ;)

• Rissi June 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Ella – they did; I need to read it yet (or most of it!).

Glad you are back – don't be a stranger. =)

Charity – I expect you are right. ;D

• Charity June 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Mom and I plopped down this afternoon to watch "Rebecca" and that made me think, what about an Alfred Hitchcock flavored issue for Halloween? Do you think that is universal enough?

• Rissi June 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Sure, I think that issue could work, Charity. Don't know what everyone else would say. I think I've only ever seen one of his films but as I remember it was good – and spooky! His works seem tailor-made for such an issue.

Any other thoughts? …anyone?