Taylor Swift: We are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Label: Big Machine Records
Genre: Country, Pop
Rating: 3 ½ out of 5
Debut: #1
The
Story
A back-and-forth relationship that has been a series of ups and downs finally
ends.
My
Thoughts
: Since she first appeared on the scene, Taylor Swift has
enjoyed a nearly fairy-tale story with the closest thing anyone will ever get
to “overnight” success. This week, she released an all-new single from her upcoming
fourth album, Red. Typical to any
T-Swift song, this is one of a love story gone wrong focusing on the struggles that come up in many
relationships. This one isn’t exactly lyrically mellow though it is vocally, but it allows complications to rule
its premise with a volatile romance that consists of break ups before turning around to “kiss and make up” – though it is fun version of a cliched scenario! As a result, this is one of
Taylor’s more “flirty,” fun songs. It has some cute conversational additions,
almost after-thoughts (like Taylor adding the zinger “like ever” to her claim she won’t be
sucked into the relationship again), which makes the song more infectious – and
a tiny bit sassy.

Even with a very complicated (long) title, this song isn’t anything like that title. Musically, this is a sound tune! It adopts a new, almost mature sound
for Taylor but isn’t an unpleasant one. With its chorus of background “Ooohs”
and instruments (the opening is a subtle country sound, giving nod to Swift’s
roots) the song veers towards a pop, feel-good vibe that is a difficult one to
erase from our mind. I don’t know how many times I listened to it in the
span of (less than) 24 hours but is seems terminally on “repeat” in my head. There
is a good beat to it but yet, the song has something “different” than just the
humming of the “pop” genre. To go along with its vintage-inspired cover, it
also comes across as sounding very old-fashioned though its primary message is
anything but. Despite it seeming to promote unhealthy relationship habits, subtlety
there is a theme of the girl “winning.” It’s “twist” spins a female empowerment
message as the girl has the last say. Something, I suspect teens everywhere
will be giddy about. And maybe, just maybe leave them feeling better about themselves, which, in
the end, may or may not be a good thing.

The Lyrics: Oooh you called me up again tonight // But
Oooh, this time I’m telling you, I’m telling you //
We are
never ever ever ever getting back together
Hear the song in this cute lyric video:
What do you think about Swift’s latest number one hit? Do
you like the new sound – and what do you think about the new album? My thought: Where is October 22nd?

• Sierra August 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I have to say that although I've only heard it on the radio a couple of times that I really like it already :) It does feel a bit new and I'm a bit scared wondering if she can pull of being more pop inclined in her music. But I think that so far she has done really well. I can't wait to hear more of her new stuff! Sierra
    Keep growing beautiful!

• Natalie August 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Confession: I played that song non-stop when it came out earlier this week… but it's so darn catchy! =D

• Rachel Hipps August 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm

love her new song! although… her break up songs are getting a teeny bit old. but i still freaking love her to death. :)

• Ella August 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Okay, I am going to not make any friends here…but I hate it. Oh gosh, I find it really annoyingly repetitive and I don't know, I don't pick up any homages to Taylor's country roots. There isn't a vibe of that. I mean, pop sure but country no.

Does it sound terrible if I say I just want Taylor to fully make her transition over to the pop world so that there is one big country queen. *cough–Carrie–cough*

• Rissi August 19, 2012 at 5:04 am

Sierra – me, too! I have played it several times on the iPod and WMP, and so this song is on "repeat" in my head! LOL! Love it.

I actually think her debut album was her at her "country best." Each of her albums since have become progressively less country-inclined and more pop-infused. Early impressions of Red may suggest it too will be a pop album but… time will tell.

CANNOT wait for October! :-)

Natalie – me, too! it is quite catchy. :-)

Rachel – yeah… I totally know what you are saying. That seems to be almost exclusively what she writes about. And, considering she has been quoted as saying she writes about what she goes through, that makes one pause, doesn't it!? Hmmm… what does that say about Taylor!?

Ella – really!? I think it is a great, catchy tune but yes it may be less of a lyrical story this go round. Her songs like "Love Story" or "Enchanted" are so rich in lyrics and the story-telling is fabulous! Sometimes, I do miss that in songs.

The only part where I heard a hint of her county roots was in the opening notes… after that, it is all pop. If you go back and listen to each of her albums, her first is the most country. Every one after that is progressively less so.

Nope! That'd be a-okay with me, too. Carrie is a phenomenal talent – hands down, she is vocally better than Taylor though not necessarily lyrically.

• Lydia August 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I love this song! :D

• Rissi August 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm

My thoughts exactly, Lydia. :-)

• ginanorma August 21, 2012 at 12:31 am

my daughter and her first "serious" boyfriend broke up about 5 months ago, and she actually loves this song because of it…she's still working through the hurt, but for the most part, she can enjoy songs like this, it's fun isn't it!? So catchy!

• Rissi August 21, 2012 at 1:08 am

Aw! I am sorry about your daughter and her boyfriend – I am sure with time, she will look back on it and realize it was "for the best."

This probably isn't my favorite Taylor song but I have enjoyed it. This is a fun song – I enjoy its catchy beat. ;-)