Taylor Swift: Mine

November 2, 2011 8 Comments

Taylor Swift: Mine. Reviewing the single track from Taylor Swift, recounting a sweet romance. All review text is © Rissi JC and RissiWrites.com

About the song:

Album: Speak Now Released: 2010 Writing Credits: Taylor Swift Label: Big Machine Records Length: 3:51 Genre: Country-Pop Certification: Platinum – #1 Single

The story: after locking eyes with a guy working his way through college, a girl – who is cynical when it comes to love is smitten with him and imagines what their life would look like if they were together.

My thoughts: can I help it if I absolutely love this adorable but juvenile song!? It only further endears itself through the catchy music and lyrics, and the fact that the song tells such a sweet story makes it something I instantly loved. This was the first single off Taylor’s latest album and believe it or not, it actually surprised me. Somehow the song has an undaunted maturity and the music video (see it below) is perfectly delightful.

RELATED | Taylor Swift: We are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Taylor Swift: Mine #FWarchives Click To Tweet

I really like Taylor’s “vision” for this song – her songwriting skills are really fabulous (that is her real talent) and on full display in songs like this because they have such a relatable, pleasant story to tell. Songs that actually do unfold in a story-like pattern are really charming and this one is no exception. Snapshots of the characters lives hanging from tree branches makes for a pretty setting and I like the fact that the song sees love triumphing all in spite of the inevitable conflict – in a positive, healthy way. That particular variety of lyrics is rare in mainstream music today, so whenever I come across a song that promotes or imparts positive messages, I am always impressed. “Mine” is far from the most thought-provoking song, but I liked how “real” the lyrics are. Relationships are difficult, they need nurturing and attention or else, chances are they will fail. Although it might be an immature concept with infatuation as its base, this song offers a perfect example of that truth – even if it is only a snapshot.

The lyrics: you were in college working part-time waiting tables… I was a flight risk with a fear of falling… You made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter; you are the best thing that’s ever been mine.

• C.C.Shoshanah November 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Such a cute video!

• Rebekah Brielle November 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I love love love this song! And the musice vid is just so wonderful!
    I bet half the views on youtube from this song are mine! haha ;)

• Sierra November 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I love this song… the lyrics are great too. And they get stuck in your head so you get to listen to it over and over again :) Sierra
    Keep Growing Beautiful♥ (Cause You Are!)

• Rissi November 4, 2011 at 12:22 AM

C.C – it is, isn't it!? Each time I watch it, I smile at the adorable way it unfolds. =)

Rebekah – LOL! Well… if half the hits of this song on YouTube are yours… I am sure Taylor would think that was awesome. =)

Sierra – me, too! It is such a "happy" song – and the lyrics and tune most definitely do get stuck in your head. =)

• Livia November 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM

This is one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs and music videos!

• Rissi November 4, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Yay! Another Taylor Swift ("Mine") song fan. I actually bought the MP3 of this song prior to Taylor's last album releasing – and for me, that is unusual. I've listened to this single so many times I am surprised I do not know it for memory. =)

Always glad when you stop in, Livia!

Glad to know you all like this tune so well – it is super sweet and, as usual, I've enjoyed reading your input. =)

• Ella November 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM