Casting Scoop Updates: Cinderella

June 27, 2013 37 Comments

Hello, dearies! Wanted to drop by with some grand news about the growing cast list of this upcoming ‘Cinderella’ adaptation in a little ‘Casting Scoop Updates: Cinderella’ post. Here we go.

CASTING SCOOP UPDATES: CINDERELLA

Casting Scoop Updates: Cinderella. Chatting more Cinderella casting updates! Which are you more excited about? Text © Rissi JC

First, Holliday Grainger has been cast as one of the evil stepsisters who many costume drama fans may remember from the recent adaptation of Great Expectations. She’s really a lovely actress who has played “good girl” (Jane Eyre) and “bad,” villainess characters. Either way… I think she’ll do well.   Then… the news I am most thrilled about, Sophie Mcshera has been cast!

Please tell me, you know who this lovely girl is?! No…?

She’s Daisy from Downton Abbey!

Casting Scoop Updates: Cinderella #FWarchives Click To Tweet

Joining the cast to play Cinderella’s “other” evil stepsister is a bit… unfortunate since Daisy is a doll however I have every confidence Sophie will do the role justice and it could be fun to see her is a completely different setting.   Basically this is looking like one big, happy ‘Downton’ reunion considering Lily James will be taking on the title role.   Oh, yes! And I cannot forget to add that Helena Bonham Carter was cast as the Fairy Godmother. Not sure I like the sound of that but…

What do you all think? If you missed any news on this, read below for the “update” that was originally posted back in May.

Published originally May 22nd 2013

Good afternoon, everyone! Just so you all know, I am loving your lovely comments from this past week. The latest on the blog is a review of the 2012 version of Great Expectations starring Jeremy Irvine, which I’ve love your thoughts on if you’ve seen – or if you haven’t (if you have anything to add, please “click” over there), plus the book giveaway will be closing in 1 day and 10 hours, so if you’ve not entered by want too, make sure to do so.

Stopping by to give you all a brief update on the Cinderella news we’ve been chatting about – Charming has been cast! Multiple sources are confirming that actor Richard Madden has been cast for Disney’s upcoming live-action version of Cinderella.

Here’s what Variety is saying: The King in the North is becoming Cinderella’s Prince Charming.   “Game of Thrones’” Richard Madden has been cast as the prince in Disney’s live-action version of “Cinderella.”   Kenneth Branagh will direct the film, which also stars “Downton Abbey’s” Lily James in the title role and Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother.   Allison Shearmur, David Barron and Simon Kinberg are producing “Cinderella” for Disney.

Madden joins Lily James (Downton Abbey), Cate Blanchett playing the evil stepmother and Kenneth Branagh

As most of you know, I am not overly fond of this choice but… I think just knowing that this is the actor who will be the “face” of Prince Charming, the idea has grown on me plus  I am determined to keep an open mind and who knows!? I may be surprised, and Richard my be the “perfect” choice. Bring on the promotional material! If anyone has any thoughts, do share them below.

• Bethany May 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Wow, this looks like an interesting movie in the making, I would love to see it once it comes out!
    Bethany

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM

For sure, Bethany – I CANNOT wait to see this one and will definitely see it in theaters. Me and fairytales are best friends. :)

• Charity U May 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Meh…not a fan. :P But it's not the worst choice, and I think it'll come to work for me! :)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM

…must confess, now that this is "set in stone" (or it looks that way), I am warming to the idea. Certainly I plan on keeping an open mind. It could work very well…

*crosses fingers*

I don't want this to be ruined! ;)

• Hannah Elise May 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I cannot wait to see this! What do you think it will be rated? I hope they won't throw anything nasty in. Cate Blanchett as the Evil Queen will be amazing, and I like Kenneth Branagh as director :)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM

If I had to guess judging from recent Snow White remakes and how the casting is shaping up, Hannah I'd say the MPAA will give it a PG13 rating. Unless it goes more "comedic" or is kept more "traditional" in which case, it'd be nothing more than PG likely. I'd be a fan of it staying closer to its roots – or the idea we have of the Cinderella fable because fairytales are larger than life popular right now… and that could be very charming.

Cate will be A-mazing. With time, I think I'll warm to each of the cast members… or that is my hope. :)

• Alexandra May 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Whooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

There's my very intelligent comment. ;)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM

…I completely understand that. No translation needed, Alexandra. ;)

• Kellie May 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Hey, Rissi! I know this question is going to make me look like the doofus of the century, but what exactly does "live action" mean? :)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM

You could NEVER look like a "doofus," Kellie! Erase that thought.

Basically "live action" means the opposite of animation; it refers to the production of a film that is not animated. So whereas Disney's original version of Cinderella was animated, this movie will be a live-action version starring a cast of people instead of computer-generated characters.

Hope that helps! :)

• Kellie May 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Ahah! So basically….just a regular movie. Perfect. Now I feel like I stand on sure ground again regarding this new version of Cinderella.

Not familiar with this guy, but hey, who am I to turn down a manly face? ;)

P.S. Thinking back on all my recent comments, I fear that I'm beginning to sound like a guy-crazy, hunk-happy female. Now, whereas I DO confess to a certain enjoyment of a good-looking male character…I DO actually go a lot deeper than that. Just sayiin'. ;)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM

You got it. It's just a good-old fashioned, regular movie. :)

Neither am I, Kellie. Something about his looks don't scream "prince" but… hey, I'm willing to give him a chance – I've been told he's a great actor so… bearing that in mind, perhaps he'll be the best Prince ever. A girl can hope.

LOL! That thought never crossed my mind – I knew you did look beneath the physical. Though to be honest, being easy on the eyes doesn't hurt. ;)

• Grace May 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I had no idea that Disney was doing a live-action version of Cinderella. I hope it's good!

Grace

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Me, too, Grace. I DO NOT want this to be one of those movies that gets "ruined." Right now, it's exciting! :)

• Rachel May 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I can't wait!

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Ditto! Just as anxious, Rachel. :)

• Charity May 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Eww, Rob Stark?!?

Well, after this season on GOT, he'll NEED a new job, so… =P

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Considering I've not seen GofT, I cannot judge Richard by that role but… yeah, I am not wild about him getting the role. That being said, I'll keep an open mind – and be grateful I didn't know him as "Rob Stark." ;)

• Charity May 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM

GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS (not that anyone reading your blog is watching it, but still — warnings are good)

Granted, there aren't a lot of characters I DO like on Game of Thrones — but he isn't one of them. Rob Stark is a whiny, pretentious brat who in another week is going to come to a brutal, unfortunate end. (I could care less what happens to him — I'm just sorry his mother is murdered at the same time.) He's just… meh, not even that good looking in my opinion.

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Guess all that whininess is finally catching up with Rob Stark, huh!? ;)

I know, right!? His looks are just NOT my idea of how Cinderella's prince should look. Ah, well! Maybe he'll shock us all. :)

• Ella May 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Okay….I love Cate being the wicked stepmother…..but you know my thoughts on everything else =)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Me, too, Ella! Cate is going to overshadow everyone else in this film much like Charlize did in SWATH. Or that is my impression.

To be honest, Richard being cast doesn't wow me. Yet, now it's happening, I am slowly warming to the idea. (Slowly! ;D) I mean… maybe he'll be the BEST Prince ever. A girl can dream…

• Hayden May 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Can't say I'm super excited about the casting choice here, but I do really, really want to see the movie when it comes out. Can't wait! :)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM

You are not alone, Hayden. That being said, totally with you: nothing will stop me from going to see this on the big-screen. Major fairytale fan here. ;)

• Liz R May 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Ooh me likie! While I'm not a big fan of Richard's character on the show (he knows what he did), he's actually done a really good job I think. George R.R. Martin liked him so much he mentioned wishing he'd written more for the character. I will be sad and yet excited to see this next episode of GOT.

I'm really looking forward to this movie!!!

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Glad you are a fan of Richard's acting – I don't think I've ever seen him in anything so my opinion is based solely on his looks and… well, he doesn't seem to fit the mold of Cinderella's prince. That being said, I'll go into this with an open mind and hope for the very best!

That's quite a testament to Richard's acting if the author said that!

Enjoy the rest of GofT.

As I am, Liz – 2014 cannot arrive soon enough. :)

• Kara May 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Well, that particular picture isn't making him look very "Charming". But the wonders of Hollywood make up and effects are amazing. So I'm sure by the time the movie is all ready to go, we'll be ready to enjoy it. Here's hoping anyway! :)

• Kara May 23, 2013 at 6:48 AM

The longer I stare at his picture though, the more he grow on me. So we'll see! (I'm definitely looking forward to the movie regardless! :)

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

See that's the thing, Kara – Richard doesn't fit the idea we all had of how Cinderella's prince should "look." Perhaps, he'll be such a great actor (I've been told he is) – and once he's outfitted with the princely attire, we won't be able to imagine anyone else.

I'm with you on both accounts. Now this seems set in stone, seeing Richard in the role is slowly growing on me and also, once we get a peek at all that promotional material, I suspect we'll be giddy with anticipation. ;)

• Kara June 28, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Seeing Sophie in such a different role ought to be loads of fun! *fingers crossed* I continue to get excited about this movie and this news just further clinches that excitement of mine. :D

• Rissi June 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

That was my thought also, Kara! Some of the pics I saw of her had her made up to be very "dark," so she can probably nail the look. We'll see how the acting goes. ;)

As am I, Kara! Between this and 'Into the Woods,' fairytales seem to continue to visit the screens of the cinema. That's grand!

• Jemimah May 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I don't have a right to judge since it's not like I've seen Game of Thrones or any film with Richard Madden. He may not look like a typical Prince Charming, but maybe he'll prove himself. We will just have to wait and see!

• Rissi May 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Indeed, Jemimah. I'm in the same boat. If we had our pick, there were several actors we'd likely have rather seen but I think he's a great actor (or that's what the chatter suggests) so obviously that will count.

Plus once we see the promotional material of him in all that regal costuming, we just may change our minds. ;)

• Little Lady May 24, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Wow!!! I had no idea they were doing a live-action Cinderella!!! SUPER SWEET! Honestly…I've always loved Cinderella. I LOVED the book "Ella Enchanted" growing up (HATED the movie), and loved the film "Ever After". Hopefully they do this thing well! Can't wait to see it! :)

• Rissi May 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

That's my greatest wish also, Micah. If filmmakers take the right approach, this could be wonderful! Cinderella is certainly one of the sweetest fairy-tales. Adore it.

Aw, I really liked both the movie and book for Ella Enchanted; they were different although each had their merits. Ever After = LOVE! :)

• Sierra May 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I'm not familiar with any of those actors, I hope they turn out to do well and the movie turns out to be interesting and a good version :)

• Rissi May 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Haven't ever seen Richard in anything, Sierra. Lily was in 'Downton Abbey' and Cate Blanchett is a well known actress – she was in both of the Elizabeth movies among dozens of other popular films. Like you, I am anxious to discover the results this movie will met. :)