Meet the Blogger: Jamie + Historical Fiction

July 8, 2015

For a good long while now, I’ve wanted to introduce you to some of my favorite bloggers in a series of “meet the blogger” type posts. I’ve become friends with some bloggers through various emails or conversations on our blogs, but I never had a good idea to “pitch” to said bloggers (all the really good ones were taken). This spring I finally forged ahead and got in touch with some bloggers, asking if they wanted to put together something they might be comfortable writing – i.e., a topic they wanted to talk about, a random fun and popular book tag. Because of that, this isn’t a traditional “meet and greet” blogger introduction. Rather, it’s blogging friends putting together something they enjoy, and hopefully because of that it reads like you’d be getting together and having coffee with them. That’s what – in my opinion, makes this such fun. Fortunately even without an organized “this-is-what-I-want” plan, they agreed to the invitation. Today, we are here to meet one such blogger.

——-

Unless I miss my guess, “all” of you are likely to have met the fabulous Jamie. But in case you haven’t today’s the perfect opportunity for you to do just that.  Jamie’s the owner of Books and Beverages, a unique book review site unlike any other. Aside from her kind, sweet personality, what makes her site unique? Well, for starters she writes about awesome bookish things that we might not be able to resist adding to our shelves (because shelves deserve some fun bookish knick-knacks, right?) or clothing that’s bookish, nerdy and fun, she also hosts authors frequently, and she writes reviews in a unique, stylish fashion by putting her own spin on reviewing formats. She incorporates her love of photography into each review by not posting an image of the book cover and instead uses her own photo of the book she’s spotlighting (you can get a glimpse of Jamie’s photography down below).

I met Jamie through Twitter and have enjoyed getting to know her first through book blogging, then through the INSPYs. We were both “recruited” to join the Advisory Board the same year, so it was fun to have someone I knew being the “newbie” with me as we worked with the veterans of the board, trying to learn the ropes.  Today, I’m introducing you to this fabulous blogger. You can meet her through this insightful article she contributed to today’s post about her love of Historical Fiction, and some of the recent favorite historical novels she’s discovered.

Without further ado, let’s get started.

——-
Why I love Historical
Fiction
– by Jamie –

(Before I dive in, I want to say thank you to Rissi for
hosting me on her fabulous blog! I love how you’re featuring fellow bloggers
and any excuse to chat about books is a win for me!

…thanks, Jamie! I’m glad to have you here, and appreciate YOU joining in the fun.)

One thing you’ll notice if you hang around my blog for a bit
is that I have a rather “healthy” obsession with history. I never tire of
learning fun facts and I’ve be known to go on rabbit trails in the world of
Wikipedia. What starts out as a “quick” search of 1830s Native Americans can
quickly turn into a discovery of Scandinavian Vikings and Norse mythology. It’s
just that, well, I want to know all the historical things.

There’s something about history isn’t there? It never changes
and I often find myself asking:

What can we learn from these people? How was it back then?
What was it like for women? Who defied the rules and changed the world? I love
being inspired from people of the past (or learn from the not-so-wise). This is
just one of the many reasons I love reading historical fiction – learning,
laughing and being inspired. Plus, with so many amazing historical fiction
authors out there, my need for history is overwhelmingly met and I absolutely
love it!

And if anything, after reading historicals I’m reminded of the
sweet blessing of showers and toothpaste. :)

I couldn’t have a post about why I love reading historical
fiction without including some of my favorites, so here’s a few!

Favorite Series

Price of Privilege Series by Jessica Dotta

Longtime favorites from a favorite author (and favorite time
periods)

Fire by Night
by Lynn Austin

A Woman’s Place
by Lynn Austin

Two new-to-me authors I read this year and enjoyed

The Baron’s Honourable Daughter by Lynn Morris
Prelude for a Lord by Camille Elliott

What about you? What’s one of your favorite historical reads
or your favorite genre?

Thanks for reading and I’d love to connect with you! I write
over at Books and Beverages (booksandbeverages.org).

——-

A Photographer. A Dessert Specialist. A Reader. The Walking Dead. Del Taco’s #1 fan. A Wannabe Inkling. An INSPYs Advisory Board Member. A fan of Sports. An Adventurer. A Traveler & I heart Jesus a whole lot.

——–

• Rissi

July 8, 2015 at 3:40 am

Thanks so much for joining this random series, Jamie. I appreciate you being willing to take part in said randomness and loved hosting the fabulous post you wrote. It's a blast to know you, read your blog and of course, work with you on the INSPYs board. Glad to have met you in this terrific community we all love. :)

1. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

July 8, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Thank you so so much friend! Your words are so encouraging and made my day! I couldn't agree with you more – this community is amazing and I'm so blessed by it!

2. Rissi

July 9, 2015 at 1:29 am

You said it best, Jamie. This community does constantly surprise, bless and encourage. It's a wonderful thing to join in once you find your niche. :)

• Meghan Gorecki

July 8, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Great to "meet" you, Jamie! :) I feel quite the same about historical fiction as you do–reading *and* writing the genre. Two of my favorites–books, author and era–are those Lynn Austin books!

1. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

July 8, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Yay for new connections!! I think I've read Fire by Night about 10 times. Lynn Austin is the best! I love that book (it's been a couple years, might need a re-read soon :).

• Rel

July 9, 2015 at 5:36 am

Two of my favourite people together!! Love it :)

As for historical fiction, I can't go past Tamara Leigh's medieval romances, Tessa Afshar's Pearl in the Sand (Biblical), Lynn Austin (of course!), Joanne Bischof, Jody Hedlund, Lori Benton, and Laura Frantz :)

1. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

July 9, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Thanks friend!! :) :)

I have all of Tamara's books on my kindle and trying to go slow in reading them, so they last longer :) :)

2. Rissi

July 10, 2015 at 12:59 am

Hi, Rel! Glad you stopped by. You (and JAMIE!) are one of my VERY favorite bloggers and I'm so glad we "met" through this world. Thanks for being a lovely person to know and call friend. It's been such a pleasure to work with BOTH of you on the INSPYs. :)

Jumping into your historical fiction comments… I must say I love Jody Hedlund's and of course, Joanne Bischof's novels. It's been a long time since I read any of Lynn Austin's books, but I remember loving them. Perhaps someday I should read them again. :)

• alyssa zech

July 10, 2015 at 1:37 am

This series is going to be FUN!! My fave historical read this year was Beyond All Dreams by Elizabeth Camden. Otherwise, I've loved Code Name Verity (love the audio!) And the Butterfly and the Violin!

1. Rissi

July 10, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Great picks, Alyssa – and thanks for visiting. Always glad to introduce new bloggers to fellow blogging friends.

…I've heard amazing things about Code Name Verity, but never read it. Have you, Jamie?

Ps; I agree. Elizabeth Camden's books are always great. :)

2. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

July 13, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Oooo! I haven't heard of Code Name Verity, but I'll have to check it out!

• Heather

July 20, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction as well! I need try a novel by Lynn Austen. I've had so many folks recommend her books to me.

1. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

July 20, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Yay for historical fans! You definitely need to try Lynn Austin then!!! She's one of the best!

2. Rissi

July 21, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Echoing, Jamie, Heather… Lynn's books are pretty amazing! :)

• Bekah M.

July 24, 2015 at 5:13 pm

How did I miss this awesomeness, Rissi?!

It's nice to "meet" you Jamie–I love your site Books and Beverages. The Price of Privilege series is one of my all-time favorites as well…I think I cried about that ending for a couple weeks. ;) Recently I've been really loving Sarah E. Ladd's historical novels. I will have to check out your other picks too because I love all things historical as well! :D

Such a fun post!! Love your graphics, Rissi. Looking forward to meeting more bloggers! :)

1. Rissi

July 25, 2015 at 12:13 am

Glad you caught it this time around… and thanks, Bekah. Here's hoping some additional bloggers have the time to join in, because it certainly is fun. Or I think so. :)

Yay for historical reads! So many good ones to discover.

2. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

July 28, 2015 at 12:55 am

Hello Bekah and thanks for joining in! I'm glad to know there are many who felt the same way about Price of Privilege – but I still love it!

I just finished Sarah's first series and her latest. She keeps getting better and better! Love them too :)

• Kara

August 15, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Two awesome people in one post?! How did the blogging world survive the resulting epicness on the day this posted? :D

I love your blog, Jamie. As Rissi mentioned, your book reviews are so unique and refreshing! Plus you always point me in the direction of awesome bookish stuff and are just all around a wonderful blogging friend to have. I'm very grateful we had the chance to "meet"! :)

As for historical fiction, I tend to read it in spurts. But I think my absolute fave historical author currently is a toss up between Laura Frantz and Julie Klassen. I confess I haven't read every single thing they've written, but what I have read has done nothing but make me happy. They're both writers that have yet to disappoint me, which is rare! So many authors I tend to pick and choose certain books I love and others I don't. So yay for Laura and Julie and their fabulous writing! :)

1. Rissi

August 17, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Kara. I was thrilled Jamie could join in – and put up with my random, "whenever-you-get-around-to-it" attitude. ;)

2. Jamie Lapeyrolerie

August 17, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Thanks so much Kara! You're so sweet and so grateful we "met" too! #BookBesties :)

I love Laura and Julie too! I can't wait for Laura's next book in September!