Romantic TV Scene Moment: Gilmore Girls’ Lorelai and Luke

February 13, 2016 7 Comments

On this Valentine’s Day eve, I decided to feature one of my favorite TV couples: Lorelai Gilmore and Luke Danes. With the exciting news about Netflix reviving the beloved classic Gilmore Girls; featuring this couple’s first kiss seemed like an excellent idea. So today we’re celebrating. How? Well, with a snippet of a romantic TV scene moment: Lorelai and Luke as first published on Silver Petticoat.

Romantic TV Scene Moment: Gilmore Girls' Lorelai and Luke #FWarchives #GilmoreGirls Click To Tweet

These two are universally liked as a pair in my reading unlike daughter Rory’s who’s many entanglements spark “team x” fangirls. Lorelai always had Luke’s attention, and he loved her silently for all those years. Pretty much my reaction (with exception to Rory’s teacher) to all of Lorelai’s other suitors would be the following. Christopher, who? Jason, who?

Read on below to relive this sweet (and sassy!) moment between these two beloved TV characters. And while we’re on the subject, what do you want to see in Netflix’s upcoming revival?

Romantic TV Scene Moment: Gilmore Girls' Lorelai and Luke. Remembering one of our favorite classic TV ships. All text © Rissi JC

Classic Romantic Moment: Remembering Gilmore Girls’ Luke and Lorelai

THE SHOW: Gilmore Girls
THE PAIRING: Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) and Luke Danes (Scott Patterson)
THE MOMENT: First Kisses, Season Four Episode 22, “Raincoats and Recipes.”

WB’s mother-daughter coming-of-age show Gilmore Girls still remains one of the most popular shows out there. At least, without looking at the technical numbers, this seems to be a general consensus thanks to the news of its return. For those unfamiliar, Gilmore Girls is about a single mother, Lorelai who is raising her daughter in the small town of Stars Hollow. While daughter Rory had a rotating group of young men vying for her heart – a primary three that sparked various “team X” fan girls, the will-they-or-won’t-they pairing of her mother, Lorelai with diner owner Luke Danes is the one relationship most viewers were most united on.

With all of the Netflix revival news related to Gilmore Girls, I thought it might be fun to spotlight a moment between the epic romance of Luke and Lorelai. Because this show aired for seven years, making a compelling case for these two without a reader knowing the context isn’t the easiest of tasks. But I shall endeavor to at least try and hope anyone unfamiliar with this show might be curious enough to finally see what the fuss is about. Continue Reading ➔

What about you? Do you love this romantic TV scene moment: Lorelai and Luke? What’s your favorite romantic moment with Lorelai – and WHO WITH? Comment all your thoughts below.

• Meghan M. Gorecki February 13, 2016 at 10:39 pm

I love Luke and Lorelai. The Netflix reboot makes me nervous since Luke's daughter is in there and indirectly she (but really, Luke's own issues) kind of broke them up. PAINFUL. PAAAINFUL. (Could be pain meds talking thru my fangirling…sorry)
    But I do love Luke and Lorelai–they fit so well and quickly became one of my top…oh, ten fictional (TV/Movie) couples.

• Rissi February 16, 2016 at 3:54 am

I've not met Luke's daughter yet, Meghan, however I do know all the gory details (major spoiler reading! :D) and while I am kind of excited his daughter is returning (because the actress is hilarious), like you, I hope it doesn't affect Luke and Lorelai being a couple in this revival. Because if there is one pair that NEEDS to be intact, it's Luke and Lorelai. Do with Rory's love life what you will (who cares!? ;D), but… Luke + Lorelai = FOREVER.

• Miranda Atchley February 15, 2016 at 12:36 am

I remember being kind of surprised by this when I first watched it. I mean, of course everyone knew they were interested in one another, but I wasn't expecting anything to happen at that particular moment. But then it did! And it was great!

• Rissi February 16, 2016 at 4:04 am

That's a great way to sum this scene up, Miranda. It's such a crazy one really (for a first kiss) but also SO Luke and Lorelai, which is what made it ideal – and ROMANTIC! :)

• Kara March 1, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I loved that moment!! I wasn't expecting it and it just made me all giddy with happiness. Luke and Lorelai are just….*swoon* :D

• Rissi March 2, 2016 at 12:19 am

This moment was CLASSIC Luke and Lorelai. Sure they are fighting but who else BUT Gilmore Girls could turn an argument into a swoony romantic moment!? :)

• […] ROMANTIC MOMENT OF THE WEEK | Gilmore Girls’ Luke and Lorelai   […]