EIGHT 2021 BOOKS I PROBABLY COULD OR SHOULD HAVE READ. Some of the dust gathers on my shelf that deserve reading. © Rissi JC

EIGHT 2021 BOOKS I PROBABLY COULD OR SHOULD HAVE READ

January 17, 2022 28 Comments

Creating a list like this seems, at this point, moot. If you wonder why it’s because honestly I just don’t read right now. I still have this deep and nostalgic love for reading and books. I still have more books than I can count. I still love the books I own. Additionally I still want to read most if not all I have, which is where we’re looking at some books I should have read in 2021. Or maybe more accurately, the books I’d have liked to read.

QUIZ | A FUN LITTLE VALENTINE MOVIE ROMANCE HALLMARK QUIZ

Honestly, I don’t know that there are books I really wanted to read in 2021 simply because I wasn’t in a read-y mood. Apart from Christmas boos (which I’d always like to sneak in), there aren’t any I can find that I wanted to read so bad in said year. Still, these books are still on my shelf so I would still ideally read them, it’s just one of those who knows scenarios. Does this mean I’m less excited about them? Not at all. It’s just a question of rediscovering reading and getting back into the swing of reader-ship. So that’s the skinny on that. Such as it is. Let’s get talking about some of the books we wanted to read in 2021.

*Also, next time I publish one of these, the goal will be to have different books from the norm. Sorry for the repeats.

BOOKS I SHOULD HAVE READ IN 2021

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: SO, THIS IS CHRISTMAS, TRACY ANDREEN

Pretty sure it was the title that caught my eye here because I always pick up a few new Christmas-y reads. Amazon | Goodreads

* This is secular YA fiction

2: PRIDE, PREJUDICE AND OTHER FLAVORS, SONALI DEV

Could very well be that this is one of those “not for me” books because I find many secular fiction fits this parameter. That said, as I’m a fan of Pride and Prejudice, I do always take a look at re-tellings. Some I love and some I loathe. Ideally, they all fall into the former, and even though this is a 2019 publication, I just picked it up in 2021. Amazon | Goodreads

*This is secular adult fiction

3: DEAREST JOSEPHINE, CAROLINE GEORGE

This one earned some pretty good reviews. I did buy it when it released, but haven’t read it. I have this hope that it’d give me the same kind of “feels” (though obviously a different story) as Jo & Laurie did earlier this year. It follows a character who finds a novel from someone in the 1800s in which she seems to play heroine, and their intertwining stories. Amazon Goodreads

4: BLAME IT ON THE MISTLETOE, BETH GARROD

This one sounds ALL SORTS OF CUTE! Says it’s “Tweet Cute meets The Holiday,” which I am here for. Amazon Goodreads

EIGHT 2021 BOOKS I PROBABLY COULD OR SHOULD HAVE READ #BOOKWORM #READERS #READERCOMMUNITY #TOPTENTUESDAY #ROMANCFICTION #ROMANCEBOOKS Click To Tweet
5: TRULY DEVIOUS (SERIES), MAUREEN JOHNSON

The “original” books in the Truly Devious books didn’t release in 2021, but I do wish I’d read another one (or both) books in the series. Since the first three all interconnect, I feel like I’ll forget all the details of Truly Devious if I don’t read them. Amazon | Goodreads

6: LAST CHANCE BOOKS, KELSEY RODKEY

Gotta’ tell you, any book that has a book store setting makes me curious! Amazon | Bookshop.org | Goodreads

7: YOU AND ME, BECKY WADE

Another Christmas story that I wish I’d taken the time to read in 2021 (partially didn’t because I try to buy things elsewhere and I just did via the author’s webpage), plus it’s penned by an author who I always make time for. I may not have read it in the prior year, but someday I will and hopefully it’ll be well worth that delay. Amazon | Goodreads

8: A CROSS COUNTRY CHRISTMAS, COURTNEY WALSH

This book seems to have “blown” up on Bookstagram as a fan favorite. I’ve liked what I did read by Walsh in the past, and she seems to have that engaging “it factor” presence to make bookstagram work for her. She’s not afraid to show up every day (unlike me who hates the idea of being on the Internet all the time) and writes contemporary fiction (my favorite!) that readers love. The concept of this novel does sound way fun, plus I’m a softie for a good Christmas romantic-comedy. Amazon | Goodreads

What books did you wish you’d read in 2021? Do you plan to read any of these titles asap? Are there any you decided won’t be “you reads”? Any you plan to unhaul? Comment all of your wish-I’d-reaed-in-2021 titles below! Let’s chat.

PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE

Thank you for visiting! Please, do come back soon.

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl January 18 Top Ten Tuesday

• Laurie January 18, 2022 at 4:16 AM
    • Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 5:32 PM

That could work! Sometimes you have to keep that running list. :)

• Dini @ dinipandareads January 18, 2022 at 5:23 AM

Great list, Rissi! I absolutely loved the short story by Sonali Dev that I read in early January and I can’t believe I haven’t read her romances yet! I immediately went out and bought Pride, Prejudice and Other Flavors cos I loved her writing! I hope you enjoy all of these (so many cute covers too)! 😊

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:23 PM

That’s awesome! Glad to know this, Dini. Hopefully I get to some of these, including Sonali’s, soon. :) Appreciate, as always, you taking time to visit.

• Pam @ Read! Bake! Create! January 18, 2022 at 5:28 AM

I have Last Chance Books on my TBR. It seems like every time I find a book about book lovers, I automatically add it. Hopefully, I can get to this one in 2022.

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:24 PM

I’m similar. I sit up and take notice of any book lover book. Sometimes it’s a great read, and other times it’s not! :) Thanks for visiting, Pam.

• Lydia January 18, 2022 at 6:13 AM

Good for you for knowing your limits. I spent part of 2020 and 2021 not being in a reading mood, either!

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:28 PM

It’s sad to me, but I know some of this is my mentality. Someday I’ll get back into the reader groove. :)

• Marianna @ Tell me a Yarn January 18, 2022 at 9:21 AM

Great list. Hope you get to reading these books. I did a different topic for this week because I just don’t keep up with new book releases,

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:29 PM

That’s cool! We love a good topic change. :)

• Jo January 18, 2022 at 9:54 AM

I have Truly Devious on my TBR too, I definitely want to get around to it at some point.

Jo recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday #351
    • Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:35 PM

It’s a fun read for sure. Now I just need to read the sequels. :)

• Lori @ fifty-two January 18, 2022 at 10:05 AM

I just added a few of those to next year’s Christmas reading list!
    My list is here: https://fiftytwo.blog/2022/01/18/ttt-2021-books-i-didnt-get-to/

Happy TTT!
    Lori

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:35 PM

Sounds like a great plan! Thanks for the visit, Lori.

• Leslie @ Books Are The New Black January 18, 2022 at 10:17 AM

The Truly Devious series is so fun! I just read the latest book a month ago., I hope you are able to catch up on some of these this year! :-)

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:37 PM

YAY! Glad to know this, Leslie. I did enjoy book one so I’m curious to see where the other books take the story. :)

• Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) January 18, 2022 at 10:25 AM

These look like great reads. I hope you get to them in 2022.

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:37 PM

Thank you, Deanna. Me too! :)

• Astilbe January 18, 2022 at 10:47 AM

I haven’t read Dearest Josephine either.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:37 PM

I’m hearing it’s a pretty good read. :)

• Stefani at Read with Stefani January 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM

I’m hoping to read Cross Country Christmas for the next holiday season. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/2022-resolutions-and-goals/

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:49 PM

Thanks, Stefani! And yay! We’ll be in the same situation. :)

• Melanie January 18, 2022 at 11:46 AM

Dearest Josephine and You & Me are books I’m looking forward to reading. Still need to pick up a copy of You & Me.

I hope you enjoy these books when you start reading again. I’ve just recently *wanted* to read again after I don’t know how long (I think at least a year).

Melanie recently posted: Weekend Wrap-Up (January 17th, 2022)
    • Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:57 PM

YAY! Hope you enjoy both, Melanie. I grabbed “You & Me” from Becky’s website which is a place I’m WAY happier to spend the money. :) This is awesome! Hope you discover some amazing reads in 2022.

• Cindy Davis January 18, 2022 at 12:16 PM

Last Chance Books is one that I wanted to read last year and didn’t, but currently have it checked out of the library…so I have hoe that I will get to it ;) I agree these lists are hard. Have a great week!

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 6:58 PM

Fun! Hope you enjoy Last Chance Books, Cindy. It sure sounds fun. :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads January 18, 2022 at 1:17 PM

Last Chance Books is on my TBR too. Hope you’ll enjoy all of these, whenever you’re ready to read them Rissi :)

• Rissi JC February 7, 2022 at 7:05 PM

Thanks, Lindsey – and you too. Hope you enjoy “Last Chance Books.” :) Appreciate your visit.