IN THE HERE AND NOW: LESSONS FROM THE FILM ‘IN TIME’

March 17, 2012 12 Comments

Time. in the here and now

It is the one thing that escapes us. That one word literally has the “power” to freeze us in our tracks; the very thought of it can “scare” a person senseless. Some of us might have simply wasted what is a precious commodity… others might not have a choice. Whatever the case, it all comes down to one thing – time is fleeting. Those 24 hours that comprise one single day
seem to move faster than we give them credit for.

IN THE HERE AND NOW: LESSONS FROM THE FILM ‘IN TIME.’ Chatting about the illusiveness of time inspired by the film. Text © Rissi JC

Because I was raised “differently,” I feel like I view life from a different perspective. Even as a young adult, the rate time’s passage amazes me. I remember being in “awe” at 2011’s arrival and ringing in that New Year. I remember some six years ago being freaked out (like every year) at my piano recital and mentally berating myself for messing up my piece (as a teen, this seems “big”). Now adults’ standard answer or remark to me is, “that’s because you’re so young.” It may be true that my viewfinder on life is not yet full on its complexities but I’m entitled to my thoughts. And believe me when I say; life is moving at a rapid speed that no one can keep pace with.

RELATED FILM REVIEW | ‘In Time’ – A SciFi Bonnie and Clyde Romance Thriller
IN THE HERE AND NOW: LESSONS FROM THE FILM ‘IN TIME’ #FWarchives Click To Tweet

After watching the futuristic drama In Time, the reminder of how fragile life is, hit me. The protagonists in the movie literally must survive on time alone. Before it morphs into a kind of Bonnie and Clyde heist story, the film is a thought-provoking story that not only places its characters in danger but also fighting for their next breath. Imagine a world where time literally pays rent; where time is legal tender to put food on the table. A universe where they trade time on a Wall Street stock market. A world in which choosing between the household bills or time could mean the end of life. That is the reality Will Salas’ must live on a day-to-day and hour-by-hour scenario. He doesn’t have a guarantee of the next hour let alone another sunrise. During a pivotal “reckoning” like scene the heroine of the movie, Sylvia, says these words:

We’re not meant to live like this. We’re not meant to live forever. Although I do wonder, Father, if you’ve ever lived a day in your life.

Unlike Will and Sylvia’s life, our time is not something we can buy and sell. In looking back, all we have left are the memories and tomorrow – and even that is not promised. I believe up to a certain point that life is what you make of it. A person can live out
their time moping around and believing the worst is going to happen, or we can be optimistic in realism. That is how I have chosen to see life. I do not want to spend my time sad or depressed at the ways Christianity has become a mocked religion or the current state of our beloved country. It saddens me, yes, but I want the time I’m given on earth to be about more than tears.

Time may not be something we can hold in the palm of our hands, saving to cherish for a time of our choosing but it offers us something more important. Each day that we do begin again, start another day, another week, is a privilege. It’s a privilege to learn – not just about things that might interest us but also take away knowledge of spiritual teachings. To make memories. To form strong bonds and relationships with those who mean the most to us.  Perhaps the greatest lesson that we can learn from “time” is in a popular adage; Don’t leave things unsaid. The truth is that with time, no matter its length, there is never “enough.”

We may not be in a world that is post-apocalyptic where time is literally money, and although I don’t believe God takes lives at will, each day we have here on earth is truly a gift from our Creator.

• Ella March 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I struggle with that too!
    But then I have to remeber how important our eternity is.

• Gwendolyn Gage March 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Isn't that the truth! And it seems as if time is going even faster these days. What can we do but try to make every minute count? :-)

• Sierra March 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I love that last paragraph. Especially that one line:Perhaps the greatest lesson that can be learned from “time” is found in a popular adage: Don’t leave things unsaid that you might want a loved one to hear. The truth is that with time, no matter its length, there is never “enough.”

Time is something I'm constantly arguing with…not enough time, I should have done this. Wish I could have done that. There are some days that I am happy that I got a lot done. But it feels like a battle. How to control the disappointment of not having enough time when we never do…but also to control the things a choices that we choose to use with time. The last is the most important and I pray that I can make use of the time, the gift, given to me. Sierra
    Keep Growing Beautiful♥ (Cause You Are!)
    P.S. Sorry for the longgggggggg comment :P

• Rissi March 17, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Ella – "time" is a funny thing, isn't it!? Generally we only think of it in terms of a 24-hour day or something that is in our near future. Whatever, it is thought-provoking.

Gwendolyn – time doesn't seem to slow down for anything or anyone! It makes how we spend our time all the more important. =)

Sierra – thanks!

We all have "battles" like that. Regret (i.e., wishing we'd done something different) is a part of life but it is in those mistakes that teach us important lessons – lessons that will hopefully resonate with us and teach us not to make the same choices over and over again.

Long comments = awesome! I don't mind in the least. ;D

• memory March 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM

"I don’t believe God takes lives at will, each day we have here on earth is truly a gift from our Creator"… I love that. Great post, Rissi!

And thanks for your sweet words on my 'i am happy' post.. that really means a lot to me :)

SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

• Rissi March 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Thanks, Memory! Your kind words are appreciated.

Awww – you are most welcome. I always enjoy my visits to Southern Pinky. ;D

• Anonymous March 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

oh that was so deep; i loved it. it is so true though. people are worried about running out of time before they can do everything, but what they don't realize is, they're wasting that time just thinking about it!
    Juliet

• Rissi March 20, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Thanks for commenting, Juliet – and for your kind words. =)

We often don't think of "time" in a manner of what it means to spend it wisely but rather just in getting through the day. Thinking about it differently isn't a bad thing and something that should be considered as "important."

• Charity March 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Good post. =)

Time does seem to speed up as you get older, maybe because by then you are acutely aware of your own mortality, unlike a child, who believes they will be here "forever."

• Rissi March 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Excellent point, Charity. As children we do not think about "someday" but are caught up in the innocence of childhood joys.

• his little Lady March 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

what an interesting point. i think time just seems to escape us because as we get older we have more things put on our plate, with schedules, and so forth. i think as long as we just try to live in the moment as much as we can time will not escape so quickly ;)
    xo TJ

• Rissi March 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Thanks, TJ. I thought it could make for an interesting blog post. =)

I think you make an excellent point; we don't really think think of "time" as more than our immediate future. We don't stop to ponder what life will look like next week, next month or a year from now. Or, for the most part we don't.

Thank you SO much for dropping by my blog. I hope you do so again sometime. Your blog is really cute – I love your "about me" blogger profile. =)

(Oh! I am now following you on Twitter and Blogspot.)