‘CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC’ (2009). Isla Fisher plays Becky Bloomwood, Sophie Kinsella's lovable but financially irresponsible heroine. Text © Rissi JC

‘CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC’ (2009)

January 2, 2013 27 Comments

I didn’t grow up in the culture obsessed world of “shopping” nor did my parents spoil me with every fad. However if you get me inside my favorite retail store, I enjoy buying new fashion pieces (perhaps a bit too much). This movie did look hilarious and plays into that this cultural mentality. Add in the fact that the leading man is one of my favorite actors and this film is irresistible.

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009) Film Review

If there’s designer sale (or even not), Rebecca “Becky” Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) is happy. Ever since she was a little girl, Becky wants to have what all the grown-ups have; a “magic card.” Now all grown up, living in New York, she works at a crummy little magazine, she’s ready to take the fashion world by storm. Unfortunately her current boss decides to retire, so her job comes to an end, and the timing cannot be worse! Becky has a debt of sixteen thousand dollars along with a pesky debt collector hot on her stiletto heels.

Just when she thinks she can land her dream job, the position fills. Through a series of unfortunate events, Becky is unexpectedly hired at a financial magazine run by Luke Brandon (Hugh Dancy). Following one mishap after another, she becomes an overnight sensation as a financial expert columnist. The irony of which is not lost on Becky, or her penchant for spending.

No matter how old I get, wholesome films never go out of style. Sophie Kinsella’s Confessions of a Shopaholic is another story that fits this mold. This is a book-to-screen working script that benefits greatly from the right filmmakers. When I did try to read the novel, it’s to discover it’s full of profanity and after only twenty pages, I DNF’d.

FILM REVIEW | ‘PATRICK’: A REALLY CUTE AND UNDERRATED BRITISH COMEDY
‘CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC’ (2009) #FWarchives #Movies #GoodMovies Click To Tweet

In this medium, Confessions of a Shopaholic is a sparkler of a comedy. The humor is fantastic; Dancy and Fischer are both excellent comedians, albeit for different reasons. Fischer is superb in the lead role because she manages to make the character of Becky so likable and cute (it would be hard to make that bridesmaid dress actually look good! She pulls it off). She annoys us with her lack of self-control one minute, and the next you love her for her frivolous personality. Dancy is officially leading man status. His character is fun to watch develop because he’s so “in control” while at work, but after he meets Becky, he’s smitten. The complete 180 his behavior takes is adorable and awkwardly sweet.

Because she makes a mess of her life, in the end through humility, she comes to realize the importance of honesty. Surprisingly this film deals with the serious side of debt, and its crippling effect. Seeing the responsibility Becky (finally) takes correct the problems she makes is an important lesson. If I do have one complaint about this production, it’s the wardrobe, which is too “out there” for my tastes. (The pairings are too “busy,” and at the ball the men outshine the ladies looking quite handsome in their tuxedos.)

Petty complaints aside, Confessions of a Shopaholic is 100% darling. In my book, that makes it a must see.

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

You can find this digitally on Amazon Video

CONTENT: a sprinkling of profanity makes litters script, including the phrase “you can stick your job up your a**.” There is some alcohol consumption. An engaged couple is shown living together. A woman is referred to as a prostitute [she isn’t]. Plunging necklines and short dresses are the dress code. The film rates PG.

• Mette January 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Oh well, I did like the Shopaholic books, I think they're some of the best representatives of the "chick-lit" genre – which isn't one of my favourites otherwise.
    The movie however belongs to my favourites; you could say there's nothing very special about it, but I just think it has that certain x-factor.

• Rissi January 3, 2013 at 4:45 am

I tend to be a conservative reader so I didn't like all the profanity in the novel. Had that been toned down, I'd have probably loved them also, Mette as the stories sound SO cute. Did you read all of the books?

No, this film isn't the most "special" out there but like you say, it's a favorite! There's something really charming about it. :)

• Mette January 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I read most of them… I think there's a new one which I haven't read yet though.

• Rissi January 4, 2013 at 12:14 am

Good to know, Mette. Thanks! :)

• Ella January 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm

This is my friend's favorite movie.
    It has some funny parts in it.

• Rissi January 3, 2013 at 4:45 am

It does have great humor, Ella. Your friend has excellent taste. :)

• Jemimah C. January 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I never finished this film, although I want to. It was pretty cute and funny.

Wow, how long was it since I last commented here? Happy new year, Rissi!

• Rissi January 3, 2013 at 4:46 am

Really!? Gosh, girl, you should sometime – the ending is adorable. :)

…and you have been missed, Jemimah! Hope you visit again soon. Happy 2013 to you also!

• his little lady January 2, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I've only seen this movie once, I wasn't too impressed, but there are some funny parts :)
    xo TJ

• Rissi January 3, 2013 at 4:47 am

To be honest, TJ, the wardrobe fell really flat for me. Being the sort of film it was, I was expecting to be impressed in that but wasn't. However, in all other regards, I loved this one! It's one of those feel-good movies that just make you smile. :)

• Renee (SteelerGirl83) January 3, 2013 at 3:34 am

Okay so confession (no pun intended), I LOVED this movie! Like you, Hugh Dancy is one of my faves not only is he a total cutie pie but he's a fab actor. He always seems so likeable. Isla is terrific too and I gotta say also one of my fave actresses even though she hasn't been in too many films that I've wanted to watch lately. The clothes ARE pretty terrible but still this is so fun and now I feel like I need to go watch it again right now LOL! Glad you enjoyed it.

xoxo,
    Renee C.

• Rissi January 3, 2013 at 4:52 am

You and I both, Renee! It's a feel-good flick that doesn't require much thought. I like those. ;D

I wish Hugh and Isla were in more movies that interested me because yes, I like both of them also. He's very cute and he does seem to usually play that likable character we easily root for. Here, he's adorable!

The clothes were horrible. Certain pieces I liked but not how they were paired. I think it was partly to set Isla's character a part from the polished career women of the fashion world she wanted to be a part of; it was a way to separate her from them and show that she had her own ideas about style.

I just re-watched it New Year's Eve and enjoyed it as much as ever. :)

• Renee (SteelerGirl83) January 6, 2013 at 2:47 am

Isla is going to be in The Great Gatsby later this year so that should be interesting! It will be a completely different role from what I'm used to seeing her in.

xoxo,
      Renee

• Rissi January 6, 2013 at 5:16 am

Oh, really!? I'd forgotten about her being a part of that cast. That's neat. Since I'm not a big fan of sad endings (and I think that story is a tear-jerker…?), I don't know how well I'll like it but it is on my "to-see" list since I love period drama. :)

• Charity January 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I can't watch this movie often — it makes me feel guilty for all the stuff I own. =D

• Rissi January 4, 2013 at 12:17 am

Your comment made me smile, Charity. Gotta' love our materialistic side, right!? :D

• Jess-Rose January 3, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I saw this movie a little while ago, and remember being struck by its over-the-top fun. It's one of those ones that, while being rather unbelievable, is even more enjoyable as a result, if that makes sense!
    Annd, yes, I may or may not love Hugh Dancy, too. . . ;)

• Rissi January 4, 2013 at 12:16 am

'Confessions' is over-the-top fun, Jess-Rose! I am always thrilled with it's cute premise and equally cute stars. :) Glad you liked it also – and yes, I know just what you mean about being "more enjoyable." :D

Hugh Dancy has really become a decent actor in the years since he played the "prince-ly" sort of character. Wish he was in more "good" roles.

• Rosie January 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I think I've heard of this one… Sounds like a funny flick that my family can enjoy! :D

Sorry I've kind of disappeared, our internet went crazy Jan. 1st. The internet company isn't going to repair it until tomorrow. :(

• Rissi January 4, 2013 at 12:17 am

It definitely is, Rosie! Hope you can see it sometime (if you like this sort of film).

Ah! So sorry about your Internet connection – I can totally sympathize. Looking forward to your return. :)

• Charity U January 4, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Ha, sounds stupid…but the kind of stupid that I enjoy (isn't it awful? ;). Fun review, I'll probably watch this someday! ;) :)

• Rissi January 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm

This is one of those movies that makes me smile. I love watching it because it's so light-hearted and happy-go-lucky, and given that I'm a happy ending sort of girl, it hits the spot.

Enjoy if you see it, Charity. :)

• Camille January 8, 2013 at 4:23 am

Such a cute movie. Although not squeaky clean, it reminded me of the fun of "Legally Blonde" without most of the content. And, yes, Hugh Dancy . . (but somehow I watched this before I discovered him in the period drama world). It's a cute film that should get more kudos!

• Rissi January 8, 2013 at 4:34 am

This is actually one of my most favorite movies, Camille. Is it sappy? Yes, but it makes me so happy. :) You made a good comparison there. I'll confess to really liking the Legally Blonde movies but am disappointed by the amount of sexual humor contained in the film. Have you ever seen the "teen" version of those movies? I think it's called Legally Blondes but don't quote me on that. :) It's also adorable albeit much more juvenile.

Have to agree: This should be noticed more.

Oooh! Hugh Dancy is always so cute. I just wish he was recognized in movies more often. ;D

• Camille January 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hmmm . . I haven't heard of the "teen" version of Legally Blonde, is it a series or just a movie? I don't mind sappy or juvenille at all! :)

One of my favorite comeback lines is from Elle when she is stowed up in her dorm room crying after being dumped. When I don't like what someone says, I whine/scream "LIIAAARRR" and pretend to through a box of chocolates at them (although they usually can't hear me as I frequently use this when I don't like how a plot is progressing in a movie or want to take out my aggression on a villian, teehee).

• Rissi January 9, 2013 at 1:04 am

No, it's a movie, Camille. It stars a pair of twins from Britain as I recall. I believe at one point I wrote up a review that is not published here – I'll have to find it, "dust it off" and post it sometime. Honestly, the sappier a movie, the more it makes me smile. :)

I vaguely remember that scene – it's been so long since I've watched that series, which should be corrected considering I, A.) love Reese Witherspoon and B.) am a sucker for any sort of light-hearted rom com, girly flick. :D

• […] fashions will cause us to wish our closest was a bit bigger. Unlike fellow cinematic fashionista Confessions of a Shopaholic, these “fashion plates” are actually fabulous. Each ensemble is either cutting-edge and sharp, […]