LINK LOVE: APRIL 2013

April 4, 2013 22 Comments

Just because it’s so much fun, here’s another set of favorite Link Love: April 2013 installment. It’s full of things I’m lovin’ and things I cannot wait to see and enjoy.

Although I am not convinced I could pull this look off, I kinda want it.

Why do I love this new Spring 2013 “bubble” jewelry trend? I have no idea, but I do

Who’d thought I’d like this button-down style so well!? Gotta’ love classic blues

Still in pursuit of the “perfect” shade… perhaps this will be it

Music that is popular on my playlist: this album is groovy, loving the “classic” sounds of this Broadway star’s delightful debut album plus rockin’ out to this duo’s country album I mentioned it, yes but.. where is April 23rd!?

Guess, I am finally a part of the fan club… or something

Don’t know anything about this but its cute cast and cool promo pics make it look exciting

As the picture above would suggest, I am *dying* to see this super hero movie. Oh, the cast!

Wishing this were more than mere rumor

Breathing a sigh of relief that this couple and these two are all “safe”

Lovin’ this April first release of the coolest online e-zine around

A milestone, BIG 1-0-0 episode, this was spectacular. Here’s to the next 100

In all its dance-out-loud fun, this has become a favorite music video

Oh. My. Goodness. This book. How does the author keep her reader so enchanted!? (Hint: there may be a giveaway for this one. Soon.)

June 11th. Finally. Nuff said

There you have it, friends. Some of my favorite link love: April 2013 edition these days. What are yours? ♥

…and one random question for you: What is some YA/teen or secular fiction you’d recommend?

• Charity U April 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Go read River of Time by Lisa Bergren. Seriously. SO good. That's about all. There are a few other YA that I've enjoyed, but none are popping to mind at present.

• Rissi April 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Hey, that's okay, Lisa's books shouldn't be clumped together with other titles anyway. :) Thanks, Charity!

• Rosie April 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Jill Williamson's Replication was good and I've heard her fantasy series By Darkness Hid is really good as well. Oh, and I concur with Charity. The River of Time series by Lisa B. is fantastic!

Don't think I've said this yet but I REALLY like your new header. ;)

• Rissi April 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I've seen a lot on Jill's novels but have yet to read them, Rosie – glad to have a trusted recommendation! I am going to be reading Heather Burch's novels also so we'll see how that goes…

Soon, I am going to read Lisa's series. Love her Grand Tour novels so I except nothing less than a brilliant fantasy series also. :)

Aw, thank you! I really appreciate the feedback – mostly I am nervous about how new layouts "code" in everyone's browsers. Since I only use IE, that's what I judge it by. Hope it looks okay in everyone's browser!

• Hamlette April 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I loved "Pies and Prejudice" by Heather Vogel Frederick. One of my favorite YA books ever is "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin.

• Rissi April 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Thanks, Hamlette! Glad to have some new recommendations – any sort of Austen re-telling is my cup of tea. :) And, I will be looking into your second title also – haven't heard of that one…

• Hamlette April 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

"The Westing Game" is an undefinable mystery. I only read it once every 5+ years so I don't remember it too well and get delightfully surprised by it over and over.

• Rissi April 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

That is the sort of book that a reader doesn't mind reading over and over again – when it continues to surprise. Every author should strive for that. Thanks for sharing, Hamlette. I'll definitely be looking into that one. :)

• Kellie April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Ooh! So much to comment on! I say go for that gorgeous red shade! I couldn't pull that off (since I have two sisters with natural red-hair, I know that I'll never go "red" myself…gotta maintain that individuality!), but I'm gearing up to one day dye my hair the color of Belle's in Once's S2. :) I've not heard of Duchess or that author before, but with your rave reviews? I'd better get going before I'm totally left behind! I need to check out Burn Notice, too! A friend of mine loves it and I'm woefully opinion-less on it since I've never seen any of it! Thanks for helping stay up with the times, Rissi! ;)

• Rissi April 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Hey, Kellie! Always love your comments, girl. :)

I'll be keeping an eye out for Belle in S2 of 'Once.' She is a sweet character so I admit to being nervous about her "multiple" personalities or whatever it is that's going on with her this season. Hoping I'll still like her. I have colored my hair auburn about twice and love it but am still wanting to find a more "vibrant" shade. It's cool to do something different now and again. So… go for your dream shade also! ;)

Loving Duchess. They'll be a review soon and I also got an extra copy because of a pre-order and getting a review copy, so… I am excited about that.

If you can get past the first one or two episodes of Burn Notice, it is awesome. The pilot is nothing like the pinnacle the show has now reached. Instead of just mediocre, it has become quite good, throwing unexpected and nail-biting twists at us by using brains instead of brawn. Hope you like if you give it a try. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

• Ruth April 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The book question…let's see, the Heist Society books by Ally Carter or the Ghost and the Goth series by Stacey Kade. :)

• Rissi April 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

After your splendid reviews, Ruth, I am *dying* to read Ally's novels. Sounds right up my ally. Oh, yes! I totally forgot about Stacey's novels too – thank you! Now I know what to look for. ;)

• AnnaKate April 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Random question, random answer: The Maze Runner series by James Dashner, the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke, the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan new and old series (so worth the hype. SO worth the hype.), and "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin

• Rissi April 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Hey, AnnaKate! Thanks for the random answer to that random question. :)

Thanks for the recommendations! I am always excited to uncover new authors and their novels. I will certainly add these to my list to look into.

Hope you are doing well. :)

• Kara April 5, 2013 at 5:37 AM

So is it true? Or did I read it wrong? Did you say you're enjoying the LBD? As in possibly making it past the first 10 episodes or so? Please say yes! No really, is that what that means? You sorta confused me or something. Course it doesn't take much to do that late at night…..

The Mortal Instruments movie does seem intriguing, I will admit. But having read the first three books in that series (only because once I started I had to find out what happened!), I really wouldn't recommend them. There are too many reasons to list here and bore you. And who knows, you could like it. I'm sure the movie is different from the book by quite a bit (they usually are). But I'm perfectly okay not seeing it. :)

As for recs? Goodness where to start! Are you sure you want to ask me this? I would say you could back out but too late! ;P

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith, Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman, The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, The Agency trilogy by YS Lee, and definitely the River of Time series by Lisa T Bergren!

All of these are clean and cute. Some are epic. They all are some of my favorite reads!(Now are you sorry you asked? ;)

• Rissi April 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM

LOL! No, I still haven't made it back to Lizzie's video diary. I was merely repeating myself. :) I am holding out for that DVD set and hoping against hope it will arrive this summer.

Yes, I am so curious about that film. Charity is reading the book also and she hasn't been that impressed with it so who knows, I may find the story not at all to my liking. I do think the cast looks spectacular though – have enjoyed Lily Collins in everything I've seen her in and am anxious to see Jamie in something. The closer the release comes, the better I'll be able to gauge if it's something I'll want to see and then I'll think about trying the novel. Either way, I appreciate your feedback!

Have heard so many good things about Lindsey's books , am unfamiliar with several of your other recommendations though save for Lisa and Sarah. The first I've read ('Grand Tour'), the latter I just have seen advertised and in particular wondered about the book you mention of hers – 'Forever.'

Sorry to have asked? Absolutely not! Love discovering new authors/reads – these will be added to my list to look into. Thank you, Kara! :)

• Kara April 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM

The Truth About Forever is absolutely my favorite Dessen novel. I've read most of hers, but that one is just sweet and cute, yet dealing with the aftermath of the death of a father really well. I truly felt like I was with Macy every step of the way out of her grief and confusion. (Plus the romance is adorable!) Dessen is a great author and I highly, highly recommend that particular story of hers. I've reread it several times. :)

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Good to know, Kara! I've seen Sarah's books plenty of places so it's wonderful that she comes so highly recommended – or this novel in particular. A sign of a talented author is when they can draw on a character's weakness, sorrow or quirks and pull in the reader. Adorable romance is a huge plus! Love those sorts of stories best. :)

Will definitely be looking into some of Sarah's books now – thanks!

• Camille April 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I'm dying waiting for the new Superman…eeeekkk!! Cannot wait. Thanks for sharing your links – I always love looking at them.
    Cheers!

• Rissi April 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You and I both, Camille! Oh, gosh! It looks so good and I am a huge fan of the cast, so… that helps. :)

Thank you for reading – glad you stopped by, Camille. Hope things are going well with you. :)

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com May 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

OMG a Pushing Daisies movie? Be still my heart! I want it to be true too!

• Rissi May 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I know, right, Juju!? This could be a jewel – wish it were true kinda like Veronica Mars! :)