Importing Blogger to WordPress

August 1, 2013 20 Comments

Good afternoon, all! With all the changes and rumors occurring with Google and their blogging platform, many bloggers – myself included, had considered moving to WordPress permanently. I’ve gone so far as to import my blog into WordPress because if Blogger continues on taking away certain privileges, I will be likely to make the switch. If you are a Blogger who is considering moving, there are two different WordPress platforms. There’s a .com and .org option, the former limits nearly everything (design) and the latter has more options though is also more complicated. (People say that a Blogger should know what they’re doing before jumping into WordPress.org world.) My experience is limited to the .com options. However, that is not the purpose of this post. Back when I wrote a post chronicling the pros and cons of both platforms, Hannah asked if I’d share how Blogger was imported into WordPress.

The process is simple and most of all, it’s been easy to continue adding new posts as I publish them on Blogger plus (yay!), I’ve been able to import all of your comments.

IMPORTING BLOGGER TO WORDPRESS

Step one is creating a WordPress account. This process is similar to Blogger although I fell into a WP account by “accident” after I signed up for a Gravatar profile in order to have an easier time of commenting on friend’s blogs. Either place you enter your information, you’ll end up with a WP blog. A Gravatar page is like your Blogger profile except with Gravatar, you can add a number of links to your page; if you’re on Twitter or Pinterest, the links are easy be add on your profile page.

Importing Blogger to WordPress #FWarchives Click To Tweet

Once that’s done, you’ll be able to view your WP “dashboard.”

1. First step is finding the “tools” button on your left sidebar
  2. from there, the “import” page.
  3. click the “blogger” link.

Next, they ask you to “authorize” the import.

Finally, you’ll come to the page that will display the progress of the import. Soon as the “initial” import is done, if you continue to use Blogger, on this page, you’ll also see where it says, “reset importer.” This allows bloggers to continuously move (or import) their Blogger information into WP.

…and voila, you are now ready to blog on a WordPress platform. Whew!  I hope after all that, something made sense. Happy Thursday – and happy Blogging!

• Ivy Miranda August 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Will everything you have on your Blogger platform (pages and such) be imported as well?

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Sadly, no, Ivy. You will have to add your pages and any special photos (on your sidebar) into WordPress. You can copy and paste your Blogger page information into a new WP page but you'll want to re-link the posts/reviews on your new WP pages, otherwise the link will go back to Blogger.

Hope this was helpful! :)

• Hannah Elise August 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Thank you, Rissi, very much!

I'm still contemplating switching. Not sure that I want to yet, but. . . . Does the Blogger blog you have stay intact?

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM

My pleasure, Hannah – I hope this made sense! If you have further questions feel free to ask. :)

Yes, the Blogger blog you operate stays intact. This was something I had reservations about also though I do know a Blogger can "back up" their blog prior to messing with HTML coding or the like so I suppose that would be a wise thing to do before an import also. :)

• Renee (SteelerGirl83) August 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I'm not sure if I'll ever switch but this is good to know. Like you, I'm a bit frustrated at the things Blogger has taken away so who knows what I'll do in the future LOL! Thanks for sharing!

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Unless Blogger ends up making good on the rumors to take about GFC and essentially our dashboard, I probably won't leave either, Renee. That being said, it feels good knowing I have imported to WordPress. Just in case. :)

• RaeAbigael August 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

great tutorial! thanks for sharing! i'm not gonna move to wordpress as of the moment though. haha

xoxo,
    rae

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Thanks, Rae! Hope it made sense. :)

Have a great weekend!

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com August 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Great info doll. So what privileges (other than Google Reader) are gone? :)

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

So far… nothing! (This post came more from those last month rumors and a readers request that I share the import process.) It's just that last month, there were rumors that the dashboard was leaving and really, I do not like Google+ so if I were forced to use that as my dashboard substitute (I never really used a reader per se), I wouldn't be happy. That being said, I will probably try and acquaint myself with Feedly or BlogLovin' better. Just in case. :)

• Livia Rachelle August 2, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I have imported my blog because my blog roll display was hacked somehow with horrible photos and Google essentially doesn't have customer service. I intend to actually customize it eventually and used the domain name which I own. I cannot figure out how to import GFC though.

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Oh, sorry to hear that, Livia! There's no way to delete the things you are referring to?

I don't think you can import or carry over your GFC followers – last year Blogger took away those privileges for WP users. Best of luck with your new blog, Livia! Hope you have fun with that personalization.

• Kate August 2, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Thank you for the informative tutorial! It's better to be safe than sorry, that's for sure. :-)

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Absolutely! Once I learned the dashboard would remain intact, I was happy as a clam to stay with Blogger, Kate. That being said, I put this together because a reader asked about the process of importing to WordPress. Thus… this post was inspired. :)

• Lianne August 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Sorry to hear that certain things are being changed on Blogger. Google really needs to stop =S But I'm glad to hear that the transfer was pretty straightforward; years ago I actually had 2 blogs on Blogger that I transferred over to my present day blog and I was surprised at how quick everything was, no problems…

Great tutorial! :)

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Me, too, Lianne – a simple process made everything MUCH easier. Now I just need to re-link everything plus rework some of the posts since Blogger and WP's HTML don't match. That's where the real work begins.

Thanks for reading – I was hoping things made sense. :)

• Kellie August 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

As long as I know where to find you, I'm good. :)

• Rissi August 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Thanks, Kellie. :)

Since Google is leaving the dashboard intact, I'm sticking with Blogger for now. I wrote this after our discussion back in June/July when a reader requested the details of importing to WordPress but for now, I'm happy where I am. :)

• Melissa Tagg August 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

What an information-filled post, Rissi! I was thinking to changing to WordPress awhile back myself. Sounds like a smart move. I ended up hiring a web designer who's at work building me a new site right now. I actually love web work and probably would've enjoyed doing my own site. But sadly, I'm a wee bit lacking on time right now. But I know a couple friends who are considering moving to WordPress, so I'm going to point them this direction. :)

• Rissi August 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Hey there, Melissa – thanks for checking this post out! I am always concerned if I make any or no sense. ;)

How fun! Cannot wait to see your new site. I'm curious about the process of HTML coding or designing in that vein but I rarely understand it so that makes it hard not to mention a challenge. That being said, I detest how WordPress puts limits on the process of personalizing a blog via the design. That's part of the fun in blogging – being able to add in your personality not only in the writing but visually.