June in January – A Romance Story about Unexpected Plans

January 18, 2014 19 Comments

June in January (2014) Hallmark Review

Romantic comedies and chick flicks – whatever catch phrase you wish to use, is one of my vices. With a fresh new year ahead, television networks have a new year to deliver on what promises to be another year of family-friendly productions. When networks continue to put out such adorable films like this, it’s easy to imagine it will be another fabulous year. June in January gets things off to a grand start.

June in January

Dreams is all June Carver (Brooke D’Orsay) has left of her mother. Dreams and the wishes she’ll be able to make all she and her mother memorialized for June’s wedding day a reality. After two years of dating her successful lawyer boyfriend Alex (Wes Brown), June is finally able to use the wedding book she and her mother put together. An engagement on New Year’s Eve leaves plenty of time for planning the perfect June wedding just like the plan. The one snare she doesn’t see is Alex getting a job in Ohio. A job that begins the first of February.

As pressure to pull together the wedding she envisions mounts (in four weeks!) she deals with more than one issue. The list includes: a soon-to-be mother-in-law (Marilu Henner) who hates June; and finding a qualified replacement for her job.

Like the numerous wedding disaster-esque movies that came before, June in January is a charismatic piece of television. There is so many reasons to enjoy about this movie, one is its leading lady who I absolutely adore. Some of you may know her from her role as Paige Evans on the comedy Royal Pains (or you may also recognize Brooke from a prior Hallmark film, How to Fall in Love). Then there is Wes Brown. He plays the dashing leading man though I don’t think he and Brooke are “perfect” together; something is missing from their scenes together – as if maybe he over does the male disinterest too much. Also a possible irritant is the script’s tendency to play up the crazy obsession that can accompany wedding plans.

Beyond these minor nit-pick comments, this Hallmark film is adorable. It’s a nice switch-up to meet a couple in an established relationship which means its ups and downs are realistic. They are “comfortable” with one another, and aren’t written to fall in love in a month’s time to squeeze into 80-some minutes. Even though we don’t see it, since Alex and June have dated for years, this helps sell the script and that’s icing on the cake. There’s a little “mean girl” drama and a strict mother to add possible breaking points. Either way, fans of the genre cannot go wrong with June in January.

Hallmark Channel again produces a sweet treat that will coax a smile from any interested viewer.

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.) You can own June in January digitally on Amazon Video or buy on DVD.

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com January 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Oooooo looks good. You make me want Hallmark.

• Rissi January 18, 2014 at 9:23 pm

It is very sweet, Juju! We don't have cable either but if I think one looks look, I watch it on-line plus some of the Hallmark movies are on DVD, so maybe check Netflix or something. You may find some there. :)

• Ella January 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm

This looks too cute:)

• Rissi January 18, 2014 at 9:23 pm

That it is, Ella. That it is. :)

• Ella January 19, 2014 at 6:30 pm

That means I will want to watch is once it's released on dvd.

• Rissi January 19, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Absolutely! I know it's a movie I'll be sure to snag a copy of if/when it arrives. So cute! :)

• Carlyn Brody January 18, 2014 at 8:30 pm

It looks like a fun movie. I like how you added a trailer onto the post.

• Rissi January 18, 2014 at 9:26 pm

It is, Carlyn! I really enjoyed it plus I like the actress so that always helps.

Thanks – with these Hallmark movies, I like to add in the trailer. Seems a good incentive for would-be viewers. ;)

• Renee (SteelerGirl83) January 18, 2014 at 10:25 pm

This looks absolutely darling! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm a sucker for anything involving weddings. :-)

• Rissi January 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm

It is, Renee! And, me, too! I love movies like Bride Wars or Monster-in-Law only this one is a sweeter, more family-friendly approach to the concept and I like that. :) Hope you enjoy the film if/when you see it.

• Melissa Tagg January 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Ooh I'll have to watch that one. Secret (okay, not so secret since I'm writing it here) sidenote: The main character of my third book is a scriptwriter for a Hallmark-esque network…only she doesn't believe in true love. :) Sooo I probably need to watch some Hallmark movies as research. Haha!

• Rissi January 21, 2014 at 12:52 am

…I'm excited that you're excited about this one, but MOST of all… Melissa! We get a teaser of your third novel!? Squee. That made my Monday. Thanks for sharing that. And watching some Hallmark's in the name of research…? I like that. :)

• Tressa S January 24, 2014 at 8:25 pm

This looks/sounds really good. We don't have cable, so I'll have to figure out a way to watch it some other way. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Rissi January 24, 2014 at 11:19 pm

It was, Tressa – especially if you like darling romances. :)

Hope you can see it soon; its already one of my favorite Hallmark rom-coms.

• Net, the Movie Blogger February 13, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Enjoyed your review of "June in January", Rissi! I adore Brooke D'Orsay, too! She's so expressive!

I was just wondering… where were you were able to watch "June in January" on-line? I have Hallmark, but not not Hallmark Movie Channel – so I was wondering if there's a special place where I could see those movies, too, online!

• Rissi February 13, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for reading, Net! I appreciate you stopping by. :)

Brooke is a great actress – hopefully she'll be in more Hallmark films, too.

In regards to your question – yes! I'm sending you an email this afternoon with all the details. :)

• Anonymous February 22, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I'm sorry but this movie was truly awful. All of the women were selfish, self-centered, spoiled stereotypes. It's not adorable, nor admirable.

• Rissi February 23, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for sharing.

• […] TV MOVIE REVIEW | June in January – A Romance Story about Unexpected Plans […]