The Lone Ranger (2013) – Western Adventure with Comedic Flair

March 26, 2014
Seeing Disney putting out a new action-packed adventurer with Johnny Depp headlining it should be par for the course these days. With four Pirates of the Caribbean films to his resume, this re-boot of the classic shouldn’t have been a surprise – especially given studios affinity to re-make instead of, hey, here’s a novel idea, originality.

All of the whispered tales of The Lone Ranger and his trusty
sidekick, Tonto tell of heroic adventures. Or so that is what the
young would-be cowboy questions an aged Tonto when, while touring an exhibit on
display at the carnival, Tonto (Depp) suddenly comes to life and
regales the youngster. Stories of how the Lone Ranger legend came to be…

It
starts on a train ride to a dusty Texas town where John (Armie Hammer), a good
peace-loving lawyer who believes everything can be solved without gunfire, is
on the train that will lead him back to his hometown only when the train is
attacked by a gang looking to free a prisoner, John finds himself trying to handle
the situation and instead finds himself shackled next to a second prisoner
watching as the criminal rides away. That prisoner is Tonto.

Unlike his brother in personality and choice of work, John’s
return brings him face to face with his Texas Ranger brother and the woman he
still desperately loves, his sister-in-law (Ruth Wilson). As the rangers
prepare to ride out after the escaped prisoner who was being brought to their
Texas town in order to be hung for his crimes, John insists on accompanying his
brother and fellow lawman unaware that an ambush awaits the group of men.

Despite some hit or miss feelings about “modern” westerns, trailers for this movie had me laughing at its antics. Couple that with my cousin recommending this as a really good movie despite
its unwelcome reception from critics, and I was game to see it. Though I won’t be a girl reviewing this
in consideration of the original, I will say that I understand some of
the complaints. They’re reasonable though to be honest, this
would-be blockbuster is too much fun to dismiss.

Starting off with a bang and
a surprising bout of humor, the movie has a great albeit familiar set up, with an exception. Honestly, I wasn’t fond of the script starting in a latter “present” only to
retreat into the past. I’m not sure what purpose this served aside from its
powers of implication without really telling
the audience how its characters eventually sought to be a part of something
beyond story origins, and upholding justice in a system that became corrupt. This method seemed most foolish if studios have sequel plans (which is likely not going to happen considering the box office
showing) and at the very least leaves the audience sort of depressed by what is, an otherwise rip-roaring hilarious
film.

Of course, the acting is nothing to sneeze at. Depp’s
character acting continues to amaze. Then there is newbie
Armie Hammer who many fairytale addicts may recognize from Mirror Mirror. He really stepped up to
fit this role very well and it made me happy to see a cast suited to their
respective roles plus Helena Bonham Carter logs some screen time. Disney has again created a production full of genius with its
spectacular stunts and costuming though the film does run overlong (this isn’t
helped by its “stops” in the middle of a sequence to return to the “present”),
the excitement makes up for it as does the humor though for anyone who isn’t a
fan of “slapstick,” this can flirt with the silly on occasion. Perhaps not my
favorite adventuring blockbuster, one cannot argue that The Lone Ranger knows how to do exhilaration and they do it with a
snazzy attitude all their own.

(Parental review: there are some “tense” sequences in which
characters are threatened with guns or other violence [explosions, hanging sentences]
and a group of rangers are murdered in an ambush. There is some thematic elements revolving around Tonto’s heritage, cheeky innuendo as one
character is a madam and perhaps a minor profanity here and there. The film is
rated PG13.)

• Rosie W

March 26, 2014 at 2:19 pm

My family just watched this for the first time a week or so ago. We loved it. :) The humor in the script was really well done. Glad you liked it, Rissi!

1. Rissi

March 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Yay! Glad you did, too, Rosie. I really enjoyed the film's humor as well – it was, of course, tops. And Johnny Depp is a large part of the reason why. He's comical brilliance. ;) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Funtó

March 26, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I haven't seen this one. But with your review I probably should! Putting it on my list of "to be watched".
    Also wanted to mention that I always enjoy reading your blog Rissi :)

1. Rissi

March 26, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Hi, Funto! Glad you stopped by. :)

Wait, you mean I'm not the only girl who hadn't seen this one?! ;) I laugh at myself because I'm always SO behind seeing most blockbusters that it feels like I'm the last person to watch them. I thought this one was fun. Of course, the cast (Depp is always hilarious) was a huge part of that as they make the film/characters "pop" on screen. Happy watching if/when you see The Lone Ranger. Glad you visited – and thank you. I enjoy your blog muchly, too!

• Kristin

March 26, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I hadn't really planned on seeing this one, but now I might have to give it a try! :) I do love Johnny Depp (I just watched Benny & Joon again yesterday…that's probably my favorite role that I've seen him in so far), and I thought Armie Hammer (please tell me that's not his real name) was hilarious and adorable in Mirror Mirror. So I think I'll go add it to my Netflix queue! :)

1. Rissi

March 27, 2014 at 6:56 pm

You've named a Depp movie I've not seen, Kristin. I'll have to hunt it down next rental store trip. Love him in Finding Neverland, Cholocat, The Tourist, Pirate films and even as odd as the film was that one in which he played a vampire – cannot think of its title.

Oh. My. Gosh. Armie Hammer… yep, you're right, please tell me that's a stage name. *giggle* He was cute in Mirror Mirror and while this role may be more of a "tough" guy, he still retains that adorableness. ;)

If you see it, hope you enjoy!

2. Kristin

March 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Dark Shadows? :) I didn't see that one, though my parents did (for nostalgic reasons because apparently both of my grandmothers used to watch the DS soap opera, ha). Except for a couple of swear words and one scene that I could do without, Benny and Joon is practically a perfect movie. It's hilarious (Johnny Depp plays a Buster Keaton wannabe and he is so sweet and likable), while still dealing with the more serious issue of mental health.

I just looked it up: his real name is Armand Hammer- apparently he's named after his father. :) I added this one to my Netflix list, so I'll probably see it soon!

3. Rissi

March 28, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Yes! Dark Shadows. He was quite funny in that also though it wasn't really "my thing" just because I don't get the appeal of vampires. Aw, that one sounds good. I like movies that can use humor and serious issues to the best advantage and still be a great film. Those are the best kind – what I don't like is when it's too lopsided.

Well that makes sense then. Family names are fun and coming from a family who all the times uses nicknames, it makes sense to shorten the name. :) Yay! Hope you enjoy The Lone Ranger then. It runs a bit overlong overall, it's entertaining.

• Missie

March 27, 2014 at 1:22 am

I was kinda bored with this one, I wanted it either to be funny or serious, but not both!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

1. Rissi

March 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

It does run overlong, Missie though for the most part, I was entertained. Depending on the script, I like a good balance of comedy vs. serious but it has to be done "right" otherwise it just comes across as absurd. ;)

• Kate

March 27, 2014 at 3:20 am

I saw it when it first came to DVD. I thought it was hilarious, my mom wasn't as impressed. I will say, I don't go into see a blockbuster with huge hopes, but just for fun, which helps a lot. :-) The train chase with the Lone Ranger theme music. It was the best part of the movie I thought. Johnny Depp can make any character pop. I will watch anything with him in it.

1. Rissi

March 27, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Well said, Kate! I love what you say about going to blockbusters with the expectation of having fun. That is such a cinema truism. :)

I completely forget about mentioning that train scene – that was the best sequence in the film and it really pulls a viewer "into" the film with the action excitement plus great music. I've seen several of Depp's roles and find it funny when he plays a "normal" character – he does crazy so well. ;)

Glad you liked this one!

• Tressa S

April 5, 2014 at 6:49 am

I really enjoyed this one! I grew up watching some of the old shows, but I didn't really compare the too because they are just different and that is ok. Really, it was just a fun movie and I loved Depp as always. :)

1. Rissi

April 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm

YES! This is a fun one, Tressa. But then, really, anything with Depp really has no choice but to be fun, right!? ;) I didn't see the oldie show so there was nothing for me to compare this to an original source however on its own, it was a fun ride. :)