Christmas Under Wraps (2014)

November 29, 2014

We’re over halfway through the 12 brand-new premieres of the
Countdown to Christmas season (*sad face*) and tonight’s film is a cute (albeit
familiar) story about elves, a doctor and the beautiful (but limiting – particularly to our leading lady) location
of Alaska. Here’s the story’s 411. Dr. Lauren Brunell (Candace Cameron Bure) has
everything in her life neatly planned out. First she becomes a doctor following
in her father’s footsteps (which she can check off), next she has plans to get a Boston fellowship, same
as her dad and things are falling nicely into place with her boyfriend who she
suspects is about to propose. Things instead take a detour. Despite her dad’s
connections, she doesn’t get the fellowship and her boyfriend isn’t as crazy
about her as she thought. This leads her to a tiny town in Alaska where she
practices general medicine and meets a guy named Andy (David O’ Donnell) whose father is
suspiciously alike a widely loved Christmas figure.

In case you couldn’t tell, it’s a blast to watch the new
Christmas movies, and to pick favorites and add to that list of re-watches each
year. Having familiar faces star in their films also is a big incentive and
leading lady Candace has certainly garnered a following that enjoys seeing her
return to the channel for any number of roles. For me, this movie fell a bit
flat merely because I’d recently rented a movie in which Candace played a
doctor (Finding Normal) so everything
felt very familiar. That being said, I still loved the fun concept of the story and of
course, the setting.

Having family in Alaska, it was a blast to see a script set
in Alaska even if it wasn’t filmed there the general look and feel came across
well. The scenery was pretty and rarely looked fake or “off” (or what I saw
wasn’t – I admit sometimes I multi-tasked while watching this). The
characters were fun albeit many recycled plots came into play during the story, mudding up the personalities sometimes.
On the flipside, the story is super festive and I liked the emphasis on family
as an important relationship not to take for granted as well as the cute subplot of Lauren’s nurse. If you’re looking for something cozy to snuggle under your favorite blanket and enjoy while finishing up some of those Thanksgiving leftovers, this isn’t a bad way to end the holiday week.

Catch the premiere of Christmas
Under Wraps
tonight (Saturday the 29th) and if you plan to watch
or see this one, don’t forget to share your thoughts on it; I’d love to chat about them.

LimelightPlayerUtil.initEmbed(‘limelight_player_987310’);

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com

November 29, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Ooooooooooo fun. I want to see this.

1. Rissi

December 1, 2014 at 3:39 am

So. Cute. :)

• Dawn Janis

November 30, 2014 at 2:23 pm

So I went to mom's to borrow the Hallmark Channel last night to watch this one. I thought it was VERY cute! Acting could have been better at times. And it took me about 30 minutes to remember that she's not DJ Tanner anymore! LOL. I"m glad that she gave up Boston to stay in Alaska. She needed the town and the town needed her. Plus Andy was just too cute!

1. Rissi

December 1, 2014 at 3:40 am

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Dawn. I did too – it had a few too many familiar twists (because I've seen it done SO many times), but overall, it's a sweetheart of a movie for its genre. Plus, yes! I also like seeing Candace in something – she was fun in 'Let it Snow' also. :)

• Ella

December 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Sounds very cute and fun.
    Gotta love Hallmark Christmas movies:)

1. Rissi

December 5, 2014 at 6:41 pm

It is, Ella! But as you say, we've gotta love these Christmas movies! :)

Have you found favorites this year?

2. Ella

December 11, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I watched a movie called ' A Christmas Wedding Date', which is a few years old, but I hadn't seen it before. It was kind of silly, but cute.

What about you?

3. Rissi

December 11, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I haven't seen that one yet but was eyeing it on Amazon. Thinking I'll now have to order it. :)

Let's see, my favorites thus far (this year) have been The Christmas Secret, A Royal Christmas or Nine Lives of Christmas. Also, The Best Christmas Party Ever is darling too! It airs on Saturday night (December 13th). :)

4. Ella

December 13, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Cool! I haven't watched those so I will have to check them out.

Have a great weekend?

5. Rissi

December 14, 2014 at 4:21 pm

You too, Ella! Hope you enjoy/ed a lovely weekend. :)