CHRISTMAS UNDER WRAPS (2014)

November 29, 2014 10 Comments

We’re over halfway through the 12 brand-new premieres of the Countdown to Christmas season (*sad face*). Tonight’s film is a cute (albeit familiar) story about elves, a doctor and the beautiful location of Alaska. Here’s the story’s 411.

CHRISTMAS UNDER WRAPS (2014). Candace Cameron Bure costars in this Hallmark Countdown to Christmas title. All text is © Rissi JC
Christmas Under Wraps (2014) #FWarchives Click To Tweet

Dr. Lauren Brunell (Candace Cameron Bure) has everything in her life neatly planned out. First she becomes a doctor following in her father’s footsteps (which she can check off). Next she plans to get a Boston fellowship, same as her dad. Things are falling nicely into place with her boyfriend who she suspects is about to propose. Instead, life takes a detour. Despite her dad’s
connections, she doesn’t get the fellowship and her boyfriend isn’t as crazy about her as she thought. This leads her to a tiny town in Alaska where she practices general medicine and meets a guy named Andy (David O’ Donnell). A guy whose father is suspiciously alike a widely loved Christmas figure.

Christmas Under Wraps (2014) Hallmark TV Film Review

In case you cannot tell, it’s a blast to watch the new Christmas movies, and to pick favorites and add to that list of re-watches each year. Having familiar faces star in their films also is a big incentive and leading lady Candace has certainly garners a following that enjoys seeing her return. For me, this movie falls a bit flat merely because I’d recently rented a movie in which Candace plays a doctor (Finding Normal). This means everything is quite familiar. That being said, I still like the fun concept of the story and of course, the setting.

Having family in Alaska, it’s a blast to see a setting in Alaska even if it didn’t film there; the general look and feel comes across well. The scenery was pretty and rarely looked fake or “off” (or what I saw wasn’t – I admit sometimes I multi-tasked while watching this). The characters were fun albeit many recycled plots came into play during the story, mudding up the personalities sometimes.

On the flipside, the story is super festive and I like the emphasis on family as an important relationship to not take for granted as well as the cute subplot of Lauren’s nurse. If you’re looking for something cozy to snuggle under your favorite blanket and enjoy while finishing up some of those Thanksgiving leftovers, this isn’t a bad way to end the holiday week.

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

You can find Christmas Under Wraps digitally on Amazon Video

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com November 29, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Ooooooooooo fun. I want to see this.

• Rissi December 1, 2014 at 3:39 AM

So. Cute. :)

• Dawn Janis November 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM

So I went to mom's to borrow the Hallmark Channel last night to watch this one. I thought it was VERY cute! Acting could have been better at times. And it took me about 30 minutes to remember that she's not DJ Tanner anymore! LOL. I"m glad that she gave up Boston to stay in Alaska. She needed the town and the town needed her. Plus Andy was just too cute!

• Rissi December 1, 2014 at 3:40 AM

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Dawn. I did too – it had a few too many familiar twists (because I've seen it done SO many times), but overall, it's a sweetheart of a movie for its genre. Plus, yes! I also like seeing Candace in something – she was fun in 'Let it Snow' also. :)

• Ella December 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Sounds very cute and fun.
    Gotta love Hallmark Christmas movies:)

• Rissi December 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM

It is, Ella! But as you say, we've gotta love these Christmas movies! :)

Have you found favorites this year?

• Ella December 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I watched a movie called ' A Christmas Wedding Date', which is a few years old, but I hadn't seen it before. It was kind of silly, but cute.

What about you?

• Rissi December 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I haven't seen that one yet but was eyeing it on Amazon. Thinking I'll now have to order it. :)

Let's see, my favorites thus far (this year) have been The Christmas Secret, A Royal Christmas or Nine Lives of Christmas. Also, The Best Christmas Party Ever is darling too! It airs on Saturday night (December 13th). :)

• Ella December 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Cool! I haven't watched those so I will have to check them out.

Have a great weekend?

• Rissi December 14, 2014 at 4:21 PM

You too, Ella! Hope you enjoy/ed a lovely weekend. :)