‘My Christmas Love’: A Festive Romance Inspired by Lyrics

December 17, 2016 16 Comments

No matter how many originals Hallmark packs into their annul programming, I make the effort to see as many as possible. I make time for them each holiday season. Their latest (which edges us far too close to the final premiere) is, in my opinion, one of their sweetest.

My Christmas Love (2016) Hallmark Review

Working in the publishing industry, Cynthia (Meredith Hagner) is a success story. She came from a small town, moved to the city to begin her career, and still remains close to her tight-knit family. When her no nonsense sister plans her wedding for Christmas, Cynthia returns home, complete with a cute guy in tow. Only trouble is, the guy isn’t exactly who she planned to bring home.

Her plus one should have been her boyfriend. Instead he dumps her shortly before they’re meant to leave which doesn’t set well with Cynthia’s romantic heart. So, as the next best thing, she invites her book illustrator – and close friend, Liam (Bobby Campo) along. Upon her return to her hometown, not only does she discover her father (Gregory Harrison) is struggling, but a mystery also draws her attention. She sets out to solve the mystery of the identity of her secret admirer, the man who has been sending her the “12 Days of Christmas” gifts.

Each new campaign Hallmark undertakes impresses me. This is for a variety of reasons not the least of which being the simple fact that I respect what they do and their brand. Their entertainment has meaning (even in the lighthearted fluff), and if ratings are a source to trust, is a wanted source of entertainment in today’s “darker” Hollywood. My Christmas Love is no different.

TV FILM REVIEW | Memories of Christmas – How To Remember Christmas Joy

The charms of this film don’t stop. From the creative story to the characters, everything sparkles. In fact, I do believe My Christmas Love is, quite possibly one of my most favorites to bear the gold crown emblem to date. The script is sassy, fun, romantic and poignant. I loved Cynthia’s father’s quip to a young man about “designs” on his daughter, and the quick wit of Cynthia’s character.

No review is complete without my mentioning how much I love the characters. This is certainly the case here. Everyone is delightful. I enjoy their interactions and the stark contrast between the sisters. The acting is another thing to praise. I loved seeing Meredith Hagner as a leading lady after liking her recurring character, Libby from Royal Pains. The men also make for dashing potential love interests.

Despite the short run time, another impressive feat is the pace and timeline. Nothing ever feels “too little” (like the “meant to be” couple not sharing enough screen time) save for the fact that I’d have liked this to go on. Simply because it’s that cute. The fact that this isn’t the typical girl-returns-home story also makes this one stand out. As do the scenes of family joy, which were genuine and special, not to mention something that left me with miles of smiles.

Same that is said of Christmas in Homestead can be said here. This is another one that, while sweet in its promos, wasn’t one sure to endear itself as a favorite. But this is an occasion I’m so pleased to be proven wrong. The 2016 Countdown to Christmas has been Hallmark’s best year yet. I’ve not seen every one of their originals, but this is one year that’s been packed with one impressive production after another. From the acting to the sets and scripts, they’ve gifted us some gems this season.

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

You can purchase My Christmas Love on DVD or digitally on Amazon Video.

Photos: Hallmark

• Becky December 18, 2016 at 3:15 AM

I almost skipped this one because the promo didn't wow me. I'm so glad I watched it anyway–so charming! I was so glad to see Bobby Campo as the romantic lead–I've liked him since "Snow Bride"–and I always enjoy when Gregory Harrison pops up in one of these films.

I totally agree that 2016 has been a great year for Countdown to Christmas–I've really enjoyed almost all of the new ones!

• Rissi December 21, 2016 at 2:21 AM

Same here, Becky. Although I did think it looked cute, I was just "worried" it'd be a little "too goofy" or something. I so need to re-watch Snow Bride again because it was one of my favorites, and yes! Me too. I like Gregory Harrison in all of these fatherly roles. Or even back when he played the leading man in films like Au Pair.

Me too! I don't think I haven't liked a single one I've seen so far, although because of certain actors, etc., I have had my favorites. :)

• Dixie George December 25, 2016 at 1:20 AM

I have watched this twice!!! Loved it and plan to watch it again. I would love to know the last song that was sung at the wedding.

• Rissi December 28, 2016 at 11:44 PM

I don't blame you, Dixie! It's SO cute. One of my favorites of this season. If you find the song, let us know. :)

• Kathleen Voutsas December 25, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Hi,can you please tell me what the song at the wedding is….this christmas kiss and who sings it.

• Rissi December 28, 2016 at 11:47 PM

I'm not sure, Kathleen – sorry! But a reader says the song is from Niki Hexum. Here are the three songs she has on the listing for My Christmas Love: "By the Fireside," "Every Day is Christmas," "This Christmas Kiss." Hope this helps. :)

• Anonymous December 28, 2016 at 5:03 AM

The song is from Niki Hexum but can't find how to download it.

• Rissi December 28, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Bummer. Hope you can find it somewhere. :)

• Melissa Carey January 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM

Who is the one that sings this version of the 12 days of Christmas?

• Rissi January 2, 2017 at 5:11 AM

Sorry, Melissa, this I do not know. Perhaps a reader knows? :)

• Elizabeth January 4, 2017 at 6:04 AM

I caught this when I went on a huge stress binge of Hallmark films last month (which was rather perfectly timed for fluffy wonderful Christmas love stories luckily) and it was so cute! They aren't all created equal, but this one landed at the top of my list as well :)

• Rissi January 10, 2017 at 9:33 PM

I watched a TON of Christmas (Hallmark) movies last month, Elizabeth. They're always so much. This was actually one of my favorites from the year. It's so cute and festive, and well, just old-fashioned fun. :) Glad you liked it too!

• […]  TV MOVIE REVIEW | My Christmas Love (2016) – A Festive Romance Inspired by Lyrics […]

• Tracy Mendez December 24, 2019 at 10:28 AM

I like the opening song and have been looking for it since the movie aired many years ago… some of the lyrics…. “What a Christmas this is your everything on my wishlist…. “
    love the song but can’t find it !!!

• Yvonne October 27, 2020 at 3:14 PM

Today is 10/37/20 n this movie just played on the Hallmark channel. A beautiful story. I love the the music but especially love the final song of the movie. I would love to know the name of it and who sang it.

• […] My Christmas Love | This was yet another one that Imisjudged thanks to “first impressions.” Imagine my surprise […]