Top Ten Tuesday | Books that Live up to the Hip, Hip, Hooray Hype!

July 31, 2018 32 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Books that are Hip, Hip, Hooray – and
Hype!

Hey, friends! After taking a week off from the fun that is
the Top Ten Tuesday meme, Finding Wonderland is back in the popular meme game – and ready to talk about the subject of popularity.
That Artsy Reader Girl July 31: Popular Books that Lived Up to the Hype – That Artsy Reader Girl

Top Ten Tuesday
(This
post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost to you, I may
receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Read
the
disclosure page for details.)
As
I looked at this topic my first impression of it was that I wouldn’t be able to
come up with enough books to create a ten-book list. Turns out that’s right.
The reason for this is that I haven’t read so many of the books that fit
into this category. Books written by authors like Sarah J. Maas
, Diana
Gabaldon, or Janet Evanovich. But the favorite authors and books I do read are all worth
celebrating I think. Plus, I have read a few books by author’s who’s books make
it onto best-seller lists.
Below you’ll find a few books
that I have read and seem to receive lots of hype in my bookish world. Then a
few that I’ve not read, but seem to be highly praised. Let’s have a look at
what they are.

Part 1: Top Ten Tuesday | Books that Live up to the Hip, Hooray Hype!
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann
Shaffer | Recently read this one as a read-along (shout-out to everyone who
joined, and apologies I dropped off the convos in the end!) in anticipation of
the film. It’s a lovely and bittersweet story that’s surprising, but also
delightful. Amazon | Goodreads
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han | Finally, I read this
charmer. Anyone whose read posts here for a while knows I talk about this book
(in an anticipatory manner) a lot. It can finally be checked as a “read”
book on Goodreads! Amazon | Goodreads

Warcross by Marie Lu | Such a fun albeit way-outside-my-comfort-zone read.
Amazon | Goodreads
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins | I don’t know if a re-read would
yield the same results, but my first read of this novel was all the bookish
feels. Suffice to say, this book was exactly what I hoped it’d be and then
some. Amazon | Goodreads
Kasie West | Yes, I am adding an author at the bottom of “part one” rather than
a specific book. Having now read several books by her, I now
get why
she’s so popular and her books receive all the good vibes. There are too many
adorable Kasie West novels to choose from, and I feel like though I have
favorites. The two I read most recently were
P.S. I Like You and Love, Life and the List. Amazon | Goodreads
Part 2: Books that I hope Live up to the Hip, Hooray Hype!
1: Fawkes by Nadine Brandes | This one is receiving so much hype. From bloggers and trusted endorsers
alike. It’s outside of my typical reader wheelhouse (I don’t read much
fantasy), but I’m certainly curious. Have you read this one? Amazon | Goodreads
2: The Map from Here to There by Emery Lord | There’s zero
information for this one, and as such this is a kind of preemptive add, but
seeing as it’s the sequel to The Start of
Me and You
, I’m 100% here for this 2019 release! Amazon | Goodreads
3: Austenland by Shannon Hale | Given how much I adore the film,
I’d like to think the book can put a “fresh” perspective on the story in a way
that allows the reader to fall in love with the story anew. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Save the Date by Morgan Matson | Once upon a time I read Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour. Though I
thoroughly enjoyed the story, it wasn’t my most favorite contemporary which I
attribute not to the characters or writing, but the “road trip” plot. (One that
isn’t my most favorite.) Still, this one seems like an ideal “me read,” and
it’s getting some good reviews, which makes me super excited! Amazon | Goodreads
5: The Hating Game by Sally Thorne | I know very little
about this one. The reason I have a copy is owing to the fact that someone else’s
Book Outlet order was shipped to me by mistake (and I was told to keep the
order). One of the books was this one, and though I might not have otherwise
picked this one up, given how cute it sounds and the hype, I may give this one a chance. Plus, it’s recently been
optioned to film! Amazon | Goodreads
*video publishes Tuesday afternoon;
channel linked above
 ____________
There’s some of the books that did –
and I hope do, live up to the hype
expectations. Have you read any I mention? Do you want to? What authors or
books did you feature today!? Tell me all about the hyped books – good or bad –
that you’ve read!
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland.

• Anne Bennett July 31, 2018 at 4:38 am

I liked, not loved Austenland, though I haven't seen the movie. The premise starts off good but in my mind it kind of gets un-Austenlike toward the end. Let me know what you think when you read it. My TTT hyped list

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:30 am

Thanks for sharing, Anne!! I'm all about reading what others thought. I have seen the film and though it's silly, it's one of my favorite guilty pleasure watches (plus that ending!! So swoony). Let me know if you see the film.

Thanks for making Finding Wonderland a Top Ten stop. :)

• ChrissiReads July 31, 2018 at 6:45 am

Oh yes. I love Kasie West and her name totally deserves to be on your list! :-) My TTT

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:30 am

Right!? One of my always favorites. :)

Thanks for visiting, Chrissi.

• Greg July 31, 2018 at 7:43 am

Warcross was fun- I enjoyed that a lot! And Austenland sounds good- I like Shannon Hale's stuff usually.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:33 am

I haven't read any of Shannon's books, but this one sounds cuuute, and now you've made me want to look up her other books. Yay for another Warcross fan. Thanks, as always, for visiting, Greg. :)

• Brittaney July 31, 2018 at 1:05 pm

I put off reading the Guernsey book until recently too, mostly because of how much hype it received. But thankfully I loved it. I also really enjoyed The Hating Game. And I totally agree with you about Kasie West!

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:36 am

You read The Hating Game? This I didn't realize, and am now more curious. I'm glad you found it enjoyable, and three cheers for Kasie West. Her books are forever favorites.

Seeing the 'Guernsey' movie is one of the things I'm most anticipating for August. I'm all about the simple joys. ;)

Thanks so much for visiting, Brittaney.

• Kelly July 31, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Okay I'm probably going to have to pick up Save the Date… I'm not a huge reader of contemporaries but I've hear super good things from everyone I know who's read it.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:36 am

Doesn't Morgan's look delightful? I'm hoping inside these pages rests a story as fun as the cover would suggest! :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Kelly.

• Poinsettia July 31, 2018 at 2:43 pm

I'd really like to read Austenland too. I enjoyed the movie so I'm hoping the book is just as good (or better as books usually are!) Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:40 am

Isn't the movie fun? It's one of my "happy place" movies, and I take the silliness as it was meant to be enjoyed. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Jaymi at Orange County Reads July 31, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Jenny Han is on so many lists!!! Need to get on it. 📚🦋

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:42 am

I only recently read To All the Boys I've Loved Before because of the Netflix film, but I loved it. :)

Thanks for visiting, Jaymi.

• Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses) July 31, 2018 at 5:13 pm

To All the Boys I've Loved Before is amazing! One of my favorites!!
    Warcross really surprised me. It's normally not the type of book I enjoy.

Our TTT: https://thebookdutchesses.com/2018/07/31/ttt-38-popular-books-that-lived-up-to-the-hype/

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:43 am

I'm the same when it came to Warcross. In this case, I'm pleased to be proven wrong. :)

…YAY! Glad to meet another fan of Jenny Han's – are you also excited for the movie!?

Thanks for visiting, Isabelle.

• Ashley Sapp July 31, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I really need to read Warcross. It's in my TBR pile, but I just haven't found the time to read it. I definitely need to remedy that.

Fawkes was amazing! It was so interesting the way history and fantasy were mixed together. I can't say enough good things about Nadine's books.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:52 am

Hope you enjoy Warcross, Ashley. I thought it was super entertaining. Plus, if you read it in the next month or so, you can simply jump right into the sequel. :)

YAY! Glad to know Fawkes is good. That's one I'd like to give a chance. For reasons. :D

Thanks so much for visiting, Ashley.

• Angela Lawrence July 31, 2018 at 11:32 pm

I'm hoping Save the Date lives up to the hype when I finally read it, too. I've never read Morgan Matson, but I see a lot of other bloggers raving about her, so I have high hopes.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:54 am

Me too, Angela. I did read 'Amy & Roger' by Morgan, and liked it. Not my favorite contemporary, which I attribute to the fact that I'm not a big road trip trope girl. Hope we both enjoy Save the Date. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense August 1, 2018 at 12:41 am

I'm so glad to see To All the Boys I've Loved Before on your list. I just reread it and fell in love all over again.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:56 am

Me too, Alicia! It's such a good book, and one I suspect will easily make me love it more in a re-read. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• AJ Sterkel August 1, 2018 at 12:45 am

I haven’t read any of these, but I have seen all of them on lists today. It makes me wonder what I’m missing.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:57 am

I'm the same, AJ. Sometimes I think, "hmm… did I say 'no' to buying [insert title] too quick?!" :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Brooke Lorren August 1, 2018 at 1:41 am

Warcross was my favorite book from last year. I'd like to read some of the others at some point.

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 2:58 am

Warcross is one of my favorites from 2017, too!! So fun. :)

Thanks for making Finding Wonderland a Top Ten Tuesday stop, Brooke.

• IloveHeartlandX August 1, 2018 at 10:54 am

I'm reading Fawkes at the moment and really enjoying it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/31/top-ten-tuesday-170/

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 3:02 am

WONDERFUL! I think everyone's comments have convinced me: I'm buying Fawkes. :)

Appreciate you stopping in, JJ.

• Lauren Stoolfire August 1, 2018 at 5:13 pm

I loved Warcross and I can't wait for the sequel. :)

• Rissi August 4, 2018 at 3:02 am

In the same bookworm boat, Lauren. :)

Thanks for visiting!!

• Alyssa August 2, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I loved To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, but it looks like I finally need to check out Anna and the French Kiss.

• Rissi JC August 10, 2019 at 2:34 pm

‘Anna’ is such a fun read, Alyssa. Or I remember it as such. Let me know if you read it. :)