12 COLORFUL BOOK COVER DESIGNS THAT REMIND ME OF ISLAND LIFE. Showing a few colorful book cover designs that reminds me of an island! Text © Rissi JC

12 COLORFUL BOOK COVER DESIGNS THAT REMIND ME OF ISLAND LIFE

July 26, 2021 31 Comments

When I think about lists that ask me what books I’d take to a desert island, I kind of bulk. Sure there are books that I love and in theory would be nice to have with me on an island, if not for reading than at the very least for a kind of feeling of comfort. However really, if you think about it, if you happen to be on a desert island, likely, we’d be extremely grateful for almost any kind of reading. For me, that would mean even a 500 page classic novel (and we ALL know how I feel about classic literature). Instead of trying to pack up a list of books I’d like on desert island living, I’m looking at some summer island book cover art designs! Because, why not?

LIST | SIX COMMON & CUTE HALLMARK TROPES WE PRETEND NOT TO LOVE

I’m realizing as each week goes by that I cannot keep featuring books solely from my bookshelf; I’m running out of books to feature (that I haven’t already a million times!) and therefore am “on repeat.” That said, I’ve already recently made a reading re-commitment to myself to be wiser with the books I buy and what TYPE of book I read. As a result, I also want to practice this in my list-making. Clearly I have a bit of a conundrum. With that said, I am including some books that either are on my shelf (likely repeats), were or I’m curious about (because I’d read about them). So, given all of that “too much information” introduction, let’s unpack this list, shall we?

SUMMER ISLAND BOOK COVER ART DESIGNS

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: SOMEONE ELSE’S SUMMER, RACHEL BATEMAN

This is one that’s in residence on my shelf for a LONG time now. It sounds like more of a moody YA about a girl who loses her sister. Amazon | Goodreads

Note: This is secular YA fiction

2: THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS, ANN BRASHARES

Haven’t actually ever read a novel by Ann, but the movies are all kinds of sweet and fun. Amazon | Goodreads

*Don’t Own; this is secular YA fiction

3: TO THE FARTHEST SHORES, ELIZABETH CAMDEN

Once upon a time I ADORED Elizabeth’s historical novels. I didn’t love the last book I read by her, however I can hope that’s just a fluke. Amazon | Goodreads

4: BRIDAL BOOT CAMP, MEG CABOT

Never have read a Meg Cabot novel despite loving The Princess Diaries films. Maybe someday I’ll remedy this and if I do, which should I start with? Amazon | Goodreads

Note: This is secular adult fiction

5: THE SIREN, KIERA CASS

Pretty sure I have discussed this one on lists such as this before. So far, this is the only Cass novel I really have not cared for. However I did own it at one time and this newer cover re-design sure is pretty! Amazon | Goodreads

Note: this is secular YA fiction

6: REBECCA, DAPHNE DU MAURIER

This Netflix cover art is really pretty and as much of the story takes place around water with waves often drowning out conversations or causing an atmospheric drama moment, I kind of HAD to include this one, too! Amazon | Goodreads

12 COLORFUL BOOK COVER DESIGNS THAT REMIND ME OF ISLAND LIFE #BOOKNERD #READER #READNIG #AMREADING #BOOKWORM #BOOKTWITTER #TOPTENTUESDAY @COURTNEY_WALSH, @JENBJONES, @MEGCABOT, @AMYMATAYO Click To Tweet
12 COLORFUL BOOK COVER DESIGNS THAT REMIND ME OF ISLAND LIFE. Showing a few summer island book cover designs that reminds me of an island! Text © Rissi JC
7: FOREVER YOUR GIRL, JENNY B. JONES

Haven’t read anything in this series yet, but I know a lot of people who enjoy the Katie Parker books. This one is about a grown up Katie (the original books chronicle her teen years), a novel that the author wrote later to kind of compete her story. Amazon | Goodreads

8: THE WAVES, AMY MATAYO

Yes, I did just feature this one! What can I say, it’s ideal for this week and in spite of its actual design, it actually features a story about a couple in a stranded situation. Amazon | Goodreads

9: DIAL ‘A’ FOR AUNTIES, JESSE Q. SUTANTO

This one makes me laugh out loud. By this I mean its title and cover because it sounds a bit out there. It’s a murder mystery about a girl who is caught up in one and she must rely on her aunties for help! Reminds me of a kind of cozy British mystery premise! Amazon | Goodreads

Note: This is secular adult fiction. Reviews say this one has f-bombs and sexual detail/content

10: THE LAYOVER, LACIE WALDON

Not sure about this one because I don’t own it nor have I read it. But it sounds like it might by something I’d be okay giving a chance AND I’m always all for a new contemporary read. Amazon | Goodreads

* Don’t Own; this is secular adult fiction

11: A SWEETHAVEN SUMMER, COURTNEY WALSH

These I’ve seen around and heard of and I’ve even read 5 or so of Walsh’s newer releases. However not these. But they seem like summer-y reads in their cover design and plus, it has a beach on its cover and the word SUMMER in its title. Amazon | Goodreads

*Don’t Own

12: MOONSTRUCK [SERIES], LINDA WINDSOR

These all how kind of “island” vibes going for them. (Although they take place in Mexico.) All set against a romantic and shiny moon, plus I love the black with the sprinkle of bold color as their color theme. Paper Moon on Amazon | Goodreads

Your turn! What types of books would you takes with you if stranded somewhere? Any of these I mention on your TBRs? Or have you read any of them? Which of these summer island book cover designs are favorites? Which ones do you detest? Spy any cover art designs you like? Which prominent ones did I miss? Comment all the thoughts below! I look forward to chatting in the comments.

PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE

Thank you for visiting! Please, do come back soon.

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl Top Ten Tuesday July 27 (Official Topic): Books I’d Want With Me While Stranded On a Deserted Island

• Lauren @ Always Me July 26, 2021 at 11:14 PM

I do like that Rebecca design. Great picks!

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:02 PM

Thanks, Lauren; and I agree. It’s just so striking. :) Thanks for the visit.

• Anne@HeadFullofBooks July 26, 2021 at 11:38 PM

Rebecca. Yes. I’d want books I’d like to reread over and over…or super long books. My TTT is off-topic this week. My list

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM

Depending on the book, I think I’d just be grateful for any novel. :) Thanks for visiting, Anne.

• Greg July 27, 2021 at 3:12 AM

I love book covers that are summery or feature islands, or just have that vibe. Awesome picks! I like Bridal Boot Camp a lot, and Dial A for Aunties is fun. :)

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:11 PM

Ooh, good to know! Thanks, Greg. I don’t think I’ve read a book by Cabot despite loving “The Princess Diaries” and ‘A for Aunties’ sounds fun! :)

• Lydia July 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM

I’ve never read Rebecca. Did you like it?

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:12 PM

I actually haven’t finished the book, Lydia (yet). I was way too anxious to see the movie. However, yes! I do like it WAY more than I’d ever anticipate (and fully intend to finish reading it) because I’m not a classic lit reader. Let me know what you think if you ever read it. :)

• Angela July 27, 2021 at 6:30 AM

The Meg Cabot cover is so cute – I love those illustrated covers!

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:14 PM

I do too, Angela. They’re just so fun and cute. :)

• Brittaney B July 27, 2021 at 10:07 AM

Paper Moon! What a blast from the past. I always loved Linda’s books.

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:15 PM

RIGHT!? It’s the same for me, Brittaney. Anytime I look at my “old” overflow shelf, I’m reminded of ALL the books I used to read. :)

• Jo July 27, 2021 at 11:21 AM

I’ve read Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants, it is definitely the perfect summery book. I actually have read The Princess Diaries books and I actually enjoyed the movies more (even though only the first one is really based on the book).

Jo recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday #326
    • Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:16 PM

I feel like I’d enjoy the Princess Diaries movies way more, too, Jo! Although this could in part be that I never read them and now they’re SO far out of my age range. Either way, it might be fun to read it or a ‘Sisterhood’ book just for a kind of nostalgia read in the sense of I used to love (and still do) the movies. :)

• Poinsettia July 27, 2021 at 11:25 AM

What a fun take on this week’s topic! These covers are very pretty. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 8:16 PM

Thanks! I had fun even though I put it together very last minute. :) Appreciate your visit.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads July 27, 2021 at 12:04 PM

Love how you went the cover-route, these all look so pretty! I’m especially excited about The Layover, it sounds like a fun read :)

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 9:49 PM

The Layover DOES sound fun! I haven’t read much about it so I don’t know if it’d be something I’d love, but I’m sure curious. :)

• Stefani July 27, 2021 at 3:57 PM

My copy of Rebecca didn’t have the beach but I see where you’re coming from. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/ten-books-i-want-to-read-by-the-end-of-2021/

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 9:58 PM

It’s probably not a “proper” beach on this cover, but you know, it “felt” kind of island-y with the colors and the water. :)

• Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books) July 27, 2021 at 6:56 PM

I love the Camden cover! It’s gorgeous.

Happy TTT!

Susan

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 9:58 PM

I agree! But then Elizabeth’s covers usually get that pretty kind of design treatment. :) Thanks for visiting, Susan.

• Carmen July 27, 2021 at 8:46 PM

I love what you did with the theme, really creative.

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 10:02 PM

Hi, Carmen. Thanks! Appreciate your visit.

• Christopher @ Plucked from the Stacks July 27, 2021 at 9:10 PM

Love your take on this week’s theme! And it’s great seeing Dial A for Aunties on your list … I seriously need to get around to reading it because it sounds like a ton of fun.

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 10:02 PM

I haven’t read ‘Dial A’ yet, but I’ve been seeing it SO many places, so I caved and snagged a copy. Hoping it’s as it looks, which is indeed fun. :)

• Cindy Davis July 28, 2021 at 7:28 AM

I enjoyed Moonstruck and The Waves…loved your list, thanks for sharing :)

Cindy Davis recently posted: TTT-Stranded on a desert island
    • Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 10:03 PM

The Moonstruck books take me back SO many years. All those nostalgic reader vibes for sure. :) Thank you for the visit, Cindy.

• Dedra @ A Book Wanderer July 28, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Great twist! I’ve only read Someone Else’s Summer and Rebecca from your list, but several others are on my TBR. I so enjoyed Rebecca, but I still need to watch the latest adaptation. :)

• Rissi JC August 2, 2021 at 10:12 PM

Hope you enjoy the latest adaptation of “Rebecca,” Dedra! Let me know what you think if you see it. :)

• Marianne @ Let's Read July 29, 2021 at 4:26 AM

Nice twist to the topic. Beautiful covers. Makes me want to go to an island right now.

My TTT.