The Ruby in the Smoke (2006)

April 11, 2013 16 Comments

Masterpiece is better known as a stage for proper costume
dramas like Downton Abbey or Jane
Austen miniseries. Way back when, novels by Phillip Pullman were adapted in
what producers probably hoped could become more of a mainstay on our television
screens. Instead all that was ever shot was a follow-up sequel. For a mystery, Ruby in the Smoke is more smoke and
mirrors than clever.

Armed with only a mysterious note referencing the “seven
blessings” and a head for numbers, young Sally Lockhart (Billie Piper) sets out
with determination – and a small pistol – to expose the questions surrounding
her father’s death. Haunted by dreams that she cannot interpret, the note leads
Sally to one of her father’s long ago fellow shipmate who hands her a book that
has all the answers but after it is stolen from her, Sally learns she has a
deadly enemy by the name of Mrs. Holland (Julie Walters) leading her to take
shelter in the home of the artistic Fredrick Garland (JJ Feild). Along with the
support of the street-wise Jim (Matt Smith) and Rosa (Hayley Atwell), Fred’s
sister, Sally’s childhood reality unmasks one of the greatest thefts – an
exquisite jewel that has caught the eye of more than one potential enemy.

Victorian mysteries are something of a rarity. My idea of a jolly
good mystery is usually set in the 1940’s to say nothing of contemporary spy
thrillers – which are popular at my house. On the surface, this film is quite
good. It does everything right with contrasting shadows and light vs. dark
filming to set the mood of a scene but it misses its marking, never fully
morphing into a “great” mystery. Ducking and weaving in and out of clues that
do lead somewhere, the script isn’t that original. Clocking in at eighty-six
minutes, the pacing is actually quite good boiling down a novel of more epic
proportions and using the cast to keep the viewer curious if not totally
confused – an attribute that if done properly, a thriller should embrace.

Helping to off-set darker subjects is the lovely costume
design. Stunning patterned bustled dresses and white shirt, waist coated, and
brocade vested gentleman. Some of the pieces that costume designers put
together are not always pleasing but within the staging of the scene,
everything does look pretty – whether it’s a parlor or walking down a busy street.
Then there are the characters that are actually a fun bunch. Jim has a
surprisingly good heart, full of compassion and a protective nature. Sally
takes more warming too. I liked her but felt as if her character was more of a
contradiction than a study in good character. Admiring her spunk and
fearlessness is one thing that is easy to like in such a heroine and then there
are the prideful decisions she makes that make us want to shake sense into her
– it’s an igneous error that too many leading ladies suffer the omen of.

Lest it suggest otherwise, I would like to clarify that this
is a good movie. The style of its filming lends credence to the fact that it is
meant to be a mystery first and foremost, and for a more “lighthearted” title
in the genre, it is entertaining. It mixes two delightful types of stories and
features a young, fresh-faced cast – one who would go on to be an Austen hero,
a girl who once was a favorite “companion,” and another who was about to break
out as a loveable sci-fi icon. Fans of the cast or costume dramas should check
into this one; those who may have reservations of opium induced dreams or some
unresolved plots, you should be aware that some of the subjects could be “troubling”
but as a fictional piece of ambiguity, this is a decent production – the
villain is surprisingly more chilling than you anticipate and the unanswered
questions leave us gasping for more. Its greatest flaw is getting lost in the
smoke rather than focus its lens on the better points building whatever
mysterious potential it could have had.

(Parental review; flashbacks show a murder in quick, successive
shots – blood does splatter a by-stander. Two or three scenes take place inside
an opium establishment, one person is an addict and a character smokes in order
to enter a dream. Four or more people are murdered; one is cut across the
throat, and another is stabbed. More still are shot or otherwise threatened; a
young girl disappears after being ill-treated by her mistress – she finds bones
of the girl whom she replaced. The film rates
TVPG.)

• Rosie April 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I loved Billie while she was on Doctor Who, especially because our names are similar. I haven't seen her in anything outside of DW so this would certainly be different to watch. Hehehe… Good review! :)

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Very cool, Rosie! Amy is the only 'Who' companion I've met. She's a doll. If you like mysteries, you should rent these sometime then. It's always nice to find other productions starring favorite actors, and I'd enjoy hearing what you think of it. Recently I re-watched this, and the sequel and wound up liking it more the second time through. It's really quite entertaining if nothing else – plus the costuming is pretty. :)

Appreciate you reading and each of your comments, Rosie! :)

• Jess-Rose April 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm

ooh–I can't believe I haven't heard of this one! Billie? J.J? Matt?! I'm such a sucker for period dramas–and have to admit, I'm (obviously, lol) often drawn by the actors. I'll give this one a try!

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Know what you mean, Jess-Rose. Familiar faces do catch my eye also – in some cases (like the new Cinderella), I do want to see a "fresh-faced" cast just because it's fun to discover new talent.

Hope you enjoy this (and it's sequel!) if you see it. :)

• Hannah Elise April 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Okay, so this is very prejudiced of me, but I don't think JJ Field belongs in any movie as anyone other than Mr. Tilney….

• Rissi April 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm

That's okay, Hannah – sometimes a viewer feels as if an actor is made for only one role! :)

• Ruth April 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I like this one, and its sequel. I always wish they'd been able to go back and film the 3rd installment!

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Seeing the third and final (?) book made into a film would have been fabulous, Ruth! In writing/editing these reviews, I had that same thought. As unlikely as that is, we can dream, right!? ;)

BTW: Lovin' your new profile pic!

• Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com April 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Too cool. I've heard of the books and had no idea. I would love to see this.

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 7:22 pm

This film – and its sequel, is fun, Juju. Especially for those of us who like mystery combined with costume dramas!

Enjoy if/when you see it – and let me know what you thought! :)

• Kellie April 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm

All you have to say is JJ Fields and I'm already looking it up online to find the nearest copy. ;) Thanks, Rissi! This sounds like it has potential! :D

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm

For those of us who are costume drama fans and enjoy mysteries, this one is good, Kellie. I hope you can find it – I'd love to know what you think of this one, and if you wind up liking it, be sure to watch the sequel, The Shadow in the North also. :)

• Net, the Movie Blogger April 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm

This is one of those movies I would love to catch on PBS instead of buying the DVD- due to some of the violent scenes. The picture you included looks great.

• Rissi April 11, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Do they re-play re-runs of "old" Masterpiece productions on PBS, Net? Since I don't get PBS, I have to buy the DVD's (nor do I use Netflix, etc.). Sometimes a friend will loan me a copy but usually after doing my "research" I make an educated choice and haven't been disappointed too many times. With these, I will enjoy watching them now and again. :)

Hope you can see this soon – and enjoy!

• KatySue Pillsbury April 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm

That was Billie Piper!! I knew I'd seen her somewhere when I started watching Doctor Who!
    The books that the movies are based on are really good too!

• Rissi April 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Funny how seeing a familiar face doesn't always "click," isn't it KatySue!? It almost becomes a game for my family to try and recall where we've seen some of the actors. :)

Thanks for stopping by – and it's nice to know that the books are good also. As with this, I usually don't read the books first. Don't know why but there never seems to be any time. ;)