Romantic Comedy Bliss: 10 Memorable Proposals in Cinema

July 28, 2016 9 Comments

No matter the genre, cinematic kryptonite for me are the swoony romantic nuances that accompany a story. Or at least this is true if you’re a romantic such as myself (when it comes to my fictional pursuits). This is why I began pondering the romantic proposals in the films that sweep us off our feet, although not all of these proposals end in happily ever after. Still, let’s look at “10 Memorable Proposals in Cinema,” because it’s fun!

LIST Period Drama Bliss: 14 Memorable and Swoony Proposals in Costume Drama
Romantic Comedy Bliss: 10 Memorable Proposals in Cinema. Looking at ten of the favorites in movies! Text © Rissi JC / RissiWrites.com

Today, we’re looking only at memorable film proposals from the box office. This means that while research went into putting this together, this list isn’t all-inclusive for the following reason: My scattered brain has plans for a period drama list which excludes (for the time being) any of the swoon-worthy proposals reenacted from classic literature (Pride and Prejudice) will come later…

10 Memorable Proposals in Cinema: Read the list in its entirety on Silver Petticoat →

Romantic Comedy Bliss: 10 Memorable Proposals in Cinema #FWarchives Click To Tweet

PS: In the meantime, enjoy the following photos as a tease of what’s on this list!

Curious about the final four on this list? Head over to Silver Petticoat to read the list in its entirety! Continue Reading ➔

How many of these can you identify by their photo alone? What film proposals rank as your favorites? Do you like any that we feature here? How many did you recognize? I’d love to chat with you all about these scenes (or films): Agree? Disagree? Share in the comment section!

• Meghan M. Gorecki July 29, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Love all these, Rissi. I'm a sucker for proposal scenes. LOL I'd have to say my favorite period drama one though would be a tie between Edward Ferrars and Elinor Dashwood in either S&S (but lets be honest, my fave's the Dan Stevens one LOL) OR the 2009 Romola Garai Emma.

• Rissi July 30, 2016 at 4:39 AM

My most favorite scene between Edward and Elinor is definitely the 2009 Masterpiece Theatre adaptation. To be honest, I MUST prefer their entire relationship in this adaptation. For some reason I've never warmed to Hugh Grant as an actor.

*happy sigh* 2009 Emma is such a sweet miniseries! SO good. :)

• Heidi Robbins July 30, 2016 at 12:55 AM

I love the proposal in Runaway Bride! (Both of them, really). Richard Gere does a good smolder ;) I also love the one in Little Women, even though Laurie gets rejected. And While You Were Sleeping and Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken.

• Rissi July 30, 2016 at 4:40 AM

OHMYGOSH! Heidi, how did I forget While You Were Sleeping!? I had that one in mind early on, and when it came down to writing the list out, I clearly overlooked that one. I adore that scene too. Haven't seen 'Wild Hearts,' and Little Women is always a delight. Love the 90s adaptation of that one! :)

• Bekah M. August 14, 2016 at 4:02 AM

How. Did. I. Miss. This. AWESOMENESS??!? I am *such* a romantic (like you said so nicely, of the “fictional pursuits” variety lol) so all of these proposal moments are swoony and AMAZING!

“The Proposal” proposal scene will always be one of my favorites. I don’t remember Runaway Bride well, so I’ll have to give that one a rewatch soon. I really want to see “He’s Just Not That Into You” again as well.

Again, this was just plain amazing. So glad I was "stalking" your posts from July and this caught my eye! ??? I do apologize for all the comment spam. *facepalm*

• Rissi August 19, 2016 at 1:56 AM

HOW DID I NOT REPLY TO YOUR AWESOME comments before now!? My apologies for the delay. Life is such a bother, right!? ;)

I adore The Proposal both for specific scenes and also for the cast (chemistry!), and overall story. Re-watching the two you mention is high on my cinematic priority list too. :)

Never apologize for comment spam, friend. Anytime you want to comment (no matter the number), you are most welcome. Glad to chat with you.

• Julia Gomez August 28, 2016 at 3:25 PM

THE PROPOSALLLLLL!!!!!

• Rissi August 30, 2016 at 4:45 AM

My reaction precisely, Julia. I adore this film and the scene in question. :)

• […] LIST | Romantic Comedy Bliss: 10 Memorable Proposals in Cinema […]