The Books I Read, Liked, Marked on Goodreads & Remember (Almost) NOTHING About

January 23, 2018 42 Comments

Welcome, lovely readers and friends. The calendar again tells me it’s Tuesday which means one thing: a new edition of
Top Ten Tuesday is here. This time it’s Books I Read But Don’t Remember. Let’s do this.

That Artsy Reader Girl January 23: Books I Really Liked but Can’t Remember Anything/Much About – That Artsy Reader Girl

The Books I Read, Liked, Marked on Goodreads & Remember (Almost) NOTHING About. Talking books I read but don't remember. What would make your list? © Rissi JC

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Read the disclosure page for details.)

So, this is a fun (interesting??) topic. Why? Well, because I have a great many books I read, know I really liked (at the time) yet honestly cannot remember much about. Below I’ve collected books that I really remember zip-o about, and would like to re-read because of this. (Those that fall in this category are the books I read as a teen, so reading them again today might net a totally different result.) Then there are the books I cannot remember but 100% know I’d still adore (JENNY B. JONES!!) if I were to pick it up again today.

So, below are a list of 10 books that fall into one of the two categories I just talked about – or perhaps some variation of them. Here’s hoping 2018 is the year I maybe (yeah, see I’m already not feeling it happen) re-discover some of these books. Or at least decide whether or not I “need” to keep them when my annual unhaul-bookshelf-reorganization comes around. Without further ado…

Books I Read But Don’t Remember

1. Split Ends by Kristen Billerbeck | I’m 99% sure I read this one. I’m also 99% sure itmade me laugh the entire way. I’m 100% sure I’m super excited Kristen Billerbeck has a new novel (after a hiatus) releasing in 2018! Amazon | Goodreads

2. Roses Will Bloom Again by Lori Copeland | Pretty sure I totally stole this book from my aunt… and I still have it. Years later.
Oops! But it’s ok. I adored the story at the time, and still have the book, so… it’s all good. Amazon | Goodreads

3. Speak to Me Of Love by Robin Lee Hatcher | I really remember next to nothing about this one except that at the time, I’m pretty sure I thought it was about the most swoon-y romance I’d ever read. Amazon | Goodreads

4. Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones | Without question, I know this is a book that will remain on my shelf. I remember it making
my laugh so much and loving its fabulous romance and the characters who make it all work. Amazon | Goodreads

5. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine | I’m one of those people who actually likes the film adaptation starring Anne Hathaway (*realizes I need a re-watch*). Is it sillier than a Youtube video about cats? Yes. But what can I say, I love a good silly romantic-comedy now and again. While I remember the book being quite different, I don’t remember much else. Amazon | GoodreadsRent Ella Enchanted on Amazon Video

6. The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows | At the time I’m pretty sure I enjoyed this one. But trying to call it to mind leaves my mind blank. Part of this stems from the fact that I haven’t read much in this genre or this type of story. Or that’s my working theory. Amazon | Goodreads

7. Happily Ever After by Susan May Warren | Among the first of Susan’s novels I read, this one is all about the cozy mystery/bookish vibes. Amazon | Goodreads

8 & 9. The Princess and Sophie’s Heart by Lori Wick | Both of these books fall into the nostalgic reads category. In fact someday I would really like to sit down and re-read both – most especially The Princess considering I tend to think I loved that book, and I know I did enjoy Rachel Hauck’s ‘Royal’ series as well as Hallmark Channel’s royal romances. The PrincessAmazon | Goodreads ● Sophie’s Heart Amazon | Goodreads

10. It Had to Be You by Linda Windsor | I thought I really enjoyed this one (it has all the markings of a Rissi-approved-story:
contemporary, romance), but then I saw (at some point) I rated it a mere three stars on Goodreads. Perhaps a re-read is in order? Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE* *video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

This brings another edition of the Top Ten bookish meme (Books I read But Don’t Remember), and a walk down memory lane, to its close. Thanks to those of you who stuck with said sappy memory lane.

Tell me about the books you read, liked, and yet cannot remember a thing about. I’d love to hear more about them and if you know why you cannot remember much or anything about them. Let me know down below – maybe I’ll remember a few more I read but cannot remember.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

• Katie Fitzgerald January 23, 2018 at 5:26 AM

I read Ella Enchanted for the first time a couple of years ago and still haven't seen the movie. I didn't love the book as much as I had hoped, and I'm not a big Anne Hathaway fan, but I'm still really curious about what was changed for the film.

• Rissi January 23, 2018 at 6:14 AM

Nothing wrong with not being a fan, Katie. I hope if you see the film, you do enjoy. For me, it's one of those "silly" films I can unplug and simply enjoy without having to have my mind fully engaged. That's what makes it so charming. :)

Appreciate you visiting!

• Anonymous January 23, 2018 at 5:31 AM

I think it's the struggle of being a bookworm! We read so much it's hard for those books to stick with us unless they are amazing!

• Rissi January 23, 2018 at 6:16 AM

Too true! But I do not that I enjoyed many of these at the time, it's just… well, I've read so many since then. :)

Glad you stopped by, Chrissi!

• Greg January 23, 2018 at 6:42 AM

I've got stuff I want to re- read too, due to not remembering much. *sigh* I guess it's impossible to remember them all! I hope you get a chance to revisit some this year. :)

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:32 PM

Same here, Greg. Someday I'll re-read some of these AMAZING books. Until then, I'll be happy discovering new ones (and trying to remember the oldies). Thanks so much for visiting! :)

• Lydia Mazzei January 23, 2018 at 7:06 AM

I have read Lori Wick's The Princess no less than six times. It was the first of her novels that I read and still remains my favourite. The emotional depth still gets me every time!

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:37 PM

Ahh!! Lydia, I feel like The Princess would STILL be one of my all-time favorite novels if I were to re-read it today. I read it years ago, so there is a chance I might walk away with different thoughts, but it has that "feel" of a nostalgic favorite. :)

You've made me realize I really SHOULD make every effort to give this one a re-read. So glad you visited!

• Verushka Byrow January 23, 2018 at 9:27 AM

It is a bit of a sappy memory lane, isn't it? At least it kind of reminded me of books I once liked.

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:38 PM

Yes it is! But because it's all the bookish stuff, it's still fun. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Olivia January 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM

I've not read any of the books on your list… sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get to the bottom of my tbr list and I fear I won't.

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM

…this is a feeling I know all too well, Olivia. Someday we'll get there. (Or that's the hope – power of positive thinking and all that!)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Flipping Through the Pages January 23, 2018 at 10:23 AM

I haven't read any of these books, but they look quite interesting. I guess we have limited brain storage to remember all the bookish information :P

I hope you get to re-read a few of them soon :P

My TTT :http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/01/ten-bookish-websites-apps/

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:41 PM

I think this is true… and the fact that we continue to keep reading (new novels) doesn't help either. :D

Thanks for visiting.

• Kate Midnight Book Girl January 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM

I've re-read Ella Enchanted a few times, and loved it. The movie is quite different, but I enjoy both of them for different reasons. I just try to see them as two things that share a name and very basic plot and not much else. :)

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM

Well said, Kate. I enjoy both the film and book (Ella Enchanted) for very different reasons too. Each one has their pros and cons. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Katherine P January 23, 2018 at 1:21 PM

I once read 150 pages of a book before realizing I had read it before and even then I was only sure because I went back through my reading notebook (this was pre-Goodreads). I haven't read any of these but now you've got me wanting to read and watch Ella Enchanted. I never did either!

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:44 PM

That sounds like something I'd do, Katherine, though I don't *think* I have… but yeah… I wouldn't be surprised to discover I actually have. :)

Ella Enchanted is so cute! It's got that "silly" vibe (film) to it, but overall, it's just one of those fun flicks you can enjoy without feeling like you have to engage your brain to figure out the big twist.

Thanks so much for visiting!

• IloveHeartlandX January 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM

I haven't read Ella Enchanted, but I loved the film, yes it's a bit silly and I have no doubt it's probably not all that similar to the book, but it's so much fun!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/23/top-ten-tuesday-143/

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:46 PM

I AGREE!! Ella Enchanted is too much fun NOT to enjoy. :) Hope you enjoy the book if you ever read it.

Thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Hamlette January 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM

I agree this has been one of the most-fun TTT topics in a long time! I actually grabbed time to post my own list this morning :-o

And… I kind of like the Anne Hathaway movie of Ella Enchanted too. I've read a little of the book and didn't like it particularly well, though maybe I should try it again sometime.

• Rissi January 28, 2018 at 9:49 PM

YAY! I look forward to read your list, too, Rachel. Glad you had fun putting this topic together.

Ella Enchanted, for me, is just a fun little flick you can enjoy without having to overwork your mind. Sometimes, when you sit down to watch a movie, that's really all you want. I don't remember the book terribly well, but do recall it's different and it's more "childish" than the film even.

Let me know if you ever do finish it and what you think. Thanks, as always, for visiting. :)

• Crazy Lady January 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM

I've not read any of these so sorry, can't help you out today! But Speak to Me of Love looks really good!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

• Rissi January 29, 2018 at 3:28 AM

Speak to Me of Love IS lovely (or that's my memory of it). If you ever have a chance to give it a second look, it might be one you'd indeed enjoy. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Abbi Hart January 23, 2018 at 6:50 PM

Speak to Me of Love should have made my list! I remember adoring that book but I don't remember much beyond that! I also loved Save the Date, Happily Ever After, and The Princess but I do remember those-lol!

• Rissi January 29, 2018 at 3:31 AM

I don't remember 'Love' all that well either, Abbi. But at the time I do know I was head over heels for it – and I seem to remember thinking the hero was pretty swoon-y. Cannot wait to read your list. Thanks for visiting! :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads January 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM

I haven't read Ella Enchanted yet, but I do remember liking the movie. It's a silly romantic comedy, yes, but I do love them a lot so that's okay :) The Orphan Queen is on my TBR to be read for the first time, so glad to hear you did enjoy it!

• Rissi January 29, 2018 at 3:55 AM

ME TOO, Lindsey. I'm always ready for a good (and silly!) romantic comedy. They're (one of) my guilty pleasures. Hope you enjoy The Orphan Queen. Thanks, as always, for visiting. :)

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense January 23, 2018 at 8:44 PM

I also don't remember much about The Orphan Queen. Did it have a sequel? See, I can't remember much.

• Rissi January 29, 2018 at 3:57 AM

Yes, The Orphan Queen does have a sequel (something with 'King' in it), but I haven't read it. Perhaps at some point I will. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Alicia.

• Brittaney January 23, 2018 at 8:49 PM

Well, thanks for adding to my list of books I've read and forgotten. Although none of yours made my TTT list, they should have, but not only did I forget I read them, I just plain forgot them completely/

• Rissi January 29, 2018 at 4:15 AM

That's ok, Brittaney. I have my share of books that fall into that category too. In fact, I know there were LOTS more I could have (and maybe should have) featured on this list, but didn't. Oh, well. They'll keep until next time I suppose! :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Jess @ Jessticulates January 23, 2018 at 8:59 PM

Great list! I remember reading Ella Enchanted in primary school and really enjoying but I never got my own copy – perhaps this year will be the year I finally change that. You're not the only one who enjoys the movie adaptation, either! Yes, it's silly, but it's harmless fun and I have really fond memories of watching it when I was younger.

• Rissi January 25, 2018 at 12:46 AM

YAY! I'm glad to know you too enjoy the Ella Enchanted film. I feel like so many people don't care for it. :) Hope if you read the novel, you enjoy, Jess.

Thanks, as always, for visiting.

• Alyce Hunt January 23, 2018 at 9:48 PM

I know I was interested in The Orphan Queen when it came out, but in all honesty I'd kind of forgotten it even existed. Thank you for mentioning it in your list and reminding me to check it out, and for picking some other titles that I'm definitely going to look into!

If you're interested in seeing which books I chose this week, you can find them here.

• Rissi January 25, 2018 at 12:43 AM

There are many books like this for me as well, Alyce. And most of the time, that's OK. I feel like my preferences often change from when X book was on my list – plus, I'll admit, I don't really *need* to add more books to my TBR (though I continuously do). My pleasure. I do hope you enjoy The Orphan Queen if/when you read it. :)

Appreciate you visiting!

• Lauren Stoolfire January 23, 2018 at 10:32 PM

I actually saw the Ella Enchanted movie before I read the book and I really like both. :)

• Rissi January 25, 2018 at 12:37 AM

Me too, Lauren – this is why I'm surprised I actually read the book (because typically, I have to read the book first). But I'm glad I did, and both are super entertaining. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Anne Bennett January 23, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Can't help you out since I don't know these books. But isn't it weird how books slip away? It is like a friend leaving a party without saying goodbye. My TTT Books I Don't Remember well

• Rissi January 25, 2018 at 12:34 AM

It is! And that's a great comparison, Anne.

Appreciate you visiting. :)

• C. Monroe January 24, 2018 at 12:26 AM

Definitely reread Save the Date! I love that book – a love/hate romance between a swoony hero and a quirky heroine who engage in a fake relationship. Plus, the chemistry was off the charts…Maybe, I'm due for a reread myself. I love Ella Enchanted, too (both the book and movie version, but in different ways). The book was one of my favorites in my childhood but I'm a bit fuzzy on it as well.

• Rissi January 25, 2018 at 12:33 AM

I've zero doubt I too long the books, C. It's one of those novels I remember smiling and laughing the whole way through – plus, it's Jenny B. Jones! That alone tells me everything I don't remember. ;)

Me too. Ella Enchanted in both story formats is memorable albeit, yes, for different reasons. :)

Glad you stopped by.