Top Ten Tuesday | Books That I Didn’t Love… but am Glad I Read. Aka Let Me Clarify These Words.

May 15, 2018 38 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Books That I Didn’t Love… but am Glad I Read.
Aka Let Me Clarify These Words.

Hey, hey, fellow readers. We welcome Tuesday as we usually
do around here: with an all-new edition of Top Ten Tuesday. Let’s take a look
at our topic.
That Artsy Reader Girl May 15: Books
I Disliked/Hated but Am Really Glad I Read (
maybe just for
bragging rights

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost
to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link.
Read the
disclosure page for details.)
Ok, so this topic is tough. Because I feel like I
very rarely – if ever, have read a book I hate. If a book isn’t really working –
like my most recent DNF, Before I Fall, I put it aside and move on. So
today the books I’m looking at some of the books that I do (mostly) remember liking
at the time I read them… but today, I don’t think would be my cup of tea. While
the stories inside these pages did entertain, they didn’t capture my reader
heart as some of the other books I’ve read have.
With all that said, let’s get to listing*!

(*Keeping things simple today – all the way around.)
1: The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott | This is the
one book on this list that I probably didn’t enjoy. I went into it with such
high expectations because I do adore the film adaptation. But alas, I had to
push myself to finish the book. Makes me wonder if I should both with an attempt
to read Little Women. PS: speaking of Alcott’s masterpiece, I review the NEW Little Women today right here on Finding Wonderland. Amazon | Goodreads | Find The Inheritance (film adaptation) also on Amazon

2: The Siren by Kiera Cass | Entertaining, yes, but
not at the same level as Kiera’s ‘The Selection’ series.
Amazon | Goodreads

3: Born of Distinction by Jessica Dotta | At the
time I read this one, I remember it being one of my favorite reads. The more I
think about it, the less I seem to remember about it… which tells me, perhaps
it’s not one of my all-time favorites?! Plus, we can add in the fact that I
haven’t read the rest of the series which seems telling. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Gunslinger Girl by Lindsay Ely | This is one of
those books I do admire the creativity of. It’s so unique, and full of so many
unique settings and its “sense of place” is memorable. That said, I felt like
the story is a bit too decadent for my likes. (Plus, as well all know from The
Hunger Games
, I’m not a fan of the whole killing for sport thing.) Amazon |
Goodreads
5: A Journey by Chance by Sally John | This is one
of the first books (and series) I reviewed on Finding Wonderland. Despite
enjoying the final book in the series, if my review is an indication, this
first novel wasn’t a favorite. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Leaving by Karen Kingsbury | I read this entire
series once upon a time, and while I did want to complete the four books in
order to see how it ended, it wasn’t a favorite. But then, to be fair, I’m not
the biggest fan of Karen Kingsbury’s novels to start with. Amazon | Goodreads

7: Every Storm by Lori Wick | Perhaps adding this
one isn’t fair since I remember nothing about it. But it “feels” like it’s one
of the novels by Lori Wick (one of many I did read by her) that I simply didn’t
care for. Amazon | Goodreads
*video publishes Tuesday
afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
Which books are you still glad you read – even if the end
result was “meh.” Let’s get our book talk on down in the comments.
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland.

• Anonymous May 15, 2018 at 4:21 am

I don't think I'll read The Siren. I was happy enough with the end of The One! Great list. :-)

• Rissi May 15, 2018 at 4:30 am

Nothing wrong with that, Chrissi! When you feel happy with the end of an author's series (but no particular need to read more by them), then that's where a reader-author relationship can end. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Kelly May 15, 2018 at 5:30 am

I like your interpretation of this topic! I found it kind of challenging to come up with books that I didn't like but also was glad I'd read but I can definitely think of a few that would fit your interpretation of it…

• Rissi May 15, 2018 at 5:45 am

Thanks, Kelly!! It's always fun to put these Top Ten Tuesday posts together, and of course, to find our own "voice" in doing so. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Greg May 15, 2018 at 6:35 am

Ooh Before I Fall ws a DNF! I just watched the movie for my movie review posts and was debating whether to read the book! I like Lauren Oliver normally, but after seeing the movie I don't feel like I need to read it? IDK. :) Sorry to hear it was a dNF though!

Gunslinger Girl was another one I was wondering about!

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:39 am

Books are RARELY DNF's for me, because I kinda' feel like I have a decent idea what I'll like vs. what I won't. I feel like that biggest factor for me in the book is the REPEATED DAYS! They go on and on (the book is over 400 pages which seems long for a YA contemporary). This is why I have an inkling I may prefer the film.

Gunslinger Girl is really unique! I just didn't 100% love it.

Thanks, as always, for visiting! :)

• Tóth Viktória May 15, 2018 at 8:13 am

I like your spin on the topic, I should have thought of that. Anyway, after reading The selection I decided to strike The siren from my TBR but Gunslinger girl is still on it.

My TTT: https://fantasyraiders.wordpress.com/2018/05/15/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-didliked-but-glad-i-read/#more-8338

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:40 am

Hope you enjoy Gunslinger Girl. It's one of the most unique books I've ever read. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Jess @ Jessticulates May 15, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Great list! I think rereading is something I need to do more of, because like you there are some books I loved when I read them – like Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study – but I can't actually remember much about them now at all, which is never a good indication that I really loved it.

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:41 am

I've heard SO many good things about Maria's books, but haven't read any. Here's hoping someday I try reading one. :)

Happy re-reading, Jess – and thanks for visiting!

• Mariela Silva May 15, 2018 at 1:01 pm

I did not read the Siren yet. But I want to. I like your lists because you usually don't put super popular books like the rest of us do! hahaha And it is good,at least for me because I can find new books to read.
    My TTT.

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:42 am

Thanks, Mariela! I appreciate the kind words. I do like to find a balance between the popular and the not-so-popular. It makes the task of putting these lists together all the more fun. :)

Glad you visited – thanks!

• Victoria @ Rocky Reads May 15, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Awesome post! I like your spin on the topic – that's one of my favourite parts of participating in TTT!

My TTT post is here: https://rockyreads.wordpress.com/2018/05/15/top-ten-tuesday-8-books-im-really-glad-i-read

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:43 am

Same here! It's always fun to read all the varying lists and to see how everyone changed or interpreted the topic. PLUS, it's fun to talk all the book convos with everyone. Thanks for visiting, Victoria. :)

• Rachel May 15, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Number 3 – I think I need to read the series again to know for sure. But I'm def in the same boat there. Lol! And I couldn't bring myself to read the siren after the end of the selection. (the series should have stopped at 3 books, just sayin)

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:51 am

If memory serves me, I did LIKE (at the time I read it) 'Persuasion,' but for some reason… the more I think about it, the less I feel like I'd like it today. But I hear the latter books are better. Who knows! Perhaps someday I'll complete the series. :)

Thanks, as always, for visiting Rachel.

• Tracy May 15, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Great take on this topic! I used to read SO MANY Lori Wick books, but I don't feel like I'd enjoy them now either.

• Rissi May 16, 2018 at 4:54 am

There is one or two Lori Wick novels I feel like are "timeless" and I'd still enjoy today (The Princess being one of them because I'm a softie for "royal" stories), but yes, overall, they wouldn't probably have the same reaction for adult me like they did teenage me.

Thanks for visiting, Tracy! :)

• Brittaney May 15, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Born of Persuasion is just part one of a three part story. It's a single story spread out over each book. It is hands down one of my all time favorites. But it is also one where you have to read each book one right after the other, because the author uses every detail from each book to weave together a grand finale in the final two chapters of book three. I literally bawled when I read the conclusion. I can't remember another story ever moving me that much. In many ways it mimics the biblical love story. It is definitely worth the time investment.

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Born of Persuasion is many of my fellow reader's favorite, Brittany! This is why it was kind of weird for me to add it to this list. But… I did anyway. ;)

I'm SO glad you love the series. When you find a story that impacts you this much, you know it's a keeper. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Brittaney.

• Mai May 15, 2018 at 3:27 pm

I actually haven't read – or even heard of – any of these! One that I had kind of a meh reaction but don't regret reading is Catcher in the Rye… not much of a fan, but at least now I understand when someone references it!

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:25 pm

I'm so not a classic literature fan in general, Mai. I know that's maybe not something I should admit… but 'tis the truth. :D

Thanks so much for visiting!

• ichlese May 15, 2018 at 3:46 pm

I agree on The Siren. It definitely was way below par compared to the Selection series.

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, The Siren wasn't all I wished it could or would be. Now I'm just (not so) patiently awaiting Kiera's next novel!! :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads May 15, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I saw the Before I Fall movie a while ago and really liked it, and was debating on whether or not to still read the book… though honestly I probably won't. Sorry you had to DNF it. Maybe you'll like the movie more?
    I probably won't be reading The Siren. Loved The Selection trilogy and will probably keep it at that :)

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:50 pm

I feel like I'll like the film. I think the pacing will be SO much better because it has to tell an effective story in 2 hours or so. Whereas the book is 400+ pages, and I feel like it doesn't NEED to be, you know!! Anyway, I hope you enjoy if you do read it.

YAY for 'The Selection' series. Still one of my favorites. :)

Thanks for visiting, Lindsey.

• AJ Sterkel May 16, 2018 at 12:12 am

Great twist on the topic! I haven’t read any of these books, but I love your graphics. I read a lot of those Chicken Soup essay books as a teen. I’d probably roll my eyes at them now. I remember some really melodramatic stories.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:51 pm

As we get older, our reading preferences do change… and I suppose most of the time, that's a good thing. Though I'll confess, I still love my YA novels despite no longer being in the target age. They're my "unplug" and enjoy kind of reads. Especially those cute contemporaries!! :)

Thanks for visiting, AJ.

• Shannon/ It Starts at Midnight May 16, 2018 at 1:14 am

Ah, sad about The Siren, the cover is pretty! But yeah, I have seen a LOT of meh reviews, so it makes sense. I liked Gunslinger Girl, but didn't love it. And I think it is definitely fair to add books you barely remember- clearly they weren't awesome! :D

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Isn't it!? I'm all about keeping it just for the cover – and bookstagram photos!!

I liked Gunslinger Girl too. I mean, the unique blend of genres alone is impressive! :)

…I agree. When a story doesn't stick, that's a clear sign, they were just "okay."

Thanks so much for visiting, Shannon. :)

• Paula May 16, 2018 at 1:51 am

I absolutely loved the series by Jessica Dotta! Again, one of my all-time favs! The one book I really didn’t care for was the one Colleen Coble did about the Irish band. I didnt think it was her best. I usually love her books. It was very predictable.

• Rissi May 18, 2018 at 8:57 pm

I'm so glad, Paula! I hear so many of my bookworm friends gush over this one too. :)

I don't think I've read that one by Colleen, though generally I do enjoy her novels.

Thanks for visiting, Paula. :)

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense May 16, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I like the sound of Gunslinger Girl, but I'm just not confident it would be a good fit for me. Still haven't read a Kiera Cass novel, but I feel like I should at least give her a shot.

• Rissi May 19, 2018 at 2:34 am

I know this feeling all too well, Alicia (not thinking a book suits).

If you read any of Kiera's, I do hope you enjoy. I really liked her Selection books; they're "unplug" and enjoy kinda of stories. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Ashley Sapp May 16, 2018 at 7:59 pm

I love your twist on this topic! I've thought about reading Born of Distinction. It just kept getting pushed farther back in my TBR list. I've had quite a few books that I thought were absolute favorites, but I can't remember much of anything about them anymore. So you posed a really great question, 'Are those my favorites?'

• Rissi May 19, 2018 at 2:35 am

Thanks, Ashley. :)

Hope of you read 'Distinction,' you enjoy – though I understand the dilemma of that TBR pile. :)

…yes, I guess I feel like if the story doesn't really stick with me, I wonder about it being a favorite… but perhaps my memory is just going. ;)

Appreciate you visiting!

• Kay Wisteria @HammockofBooks May 18, 2018 at 10:51 pm

I agree on The Siren!! Great list :)

• Rissi May 19, 2018 at 2:36 am

Thanks, Kay! Appreciate you visiting. :)