Top Ten Tuesday | Bookshelf Reads that are LONG!

October 8, 2018 30 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Bookshelf Reads that are LONG!

October 8, 2018 30 Comments
Top Ten Tuesday October 9

Top Ten Tuesday October 9

Hey, hey Top Ten Tuesday friends! Let’s have a look at our topic today.

That Artsy Reader Girl \\\ Top Ten Tuesday October 9: Longest Books I’ve Ever Read

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

Those of you who have hung out here for a while (or on my Booktube channel) know one thing: I’m a wimp when it comes to long novels. They “scare” me in fact. The story I like to refer to is a trip to Walmart. You see, it was just prior (or maybe after) to the new adaptation of Les Mis. I spotted the novelization of the story and thought, “OK, it’s long, but I can totally do this.” I picked it up and fully prepared to buy it, I checked the page count. When I saw it was 1,000+ pages, I couldn’t place it back on the shelf fast enough. I knew that was a little too far out of my comfort zone.

In my opinion, with exception to few, 300+ pages (which is often a kind of a “standard” book length) is plenty of pages to tell a coherent and comedic, brilliant and beautiful story.

Still, page count standard or no, I am kind of surprised that some of these books number in the 400 page count. Some of them were good reads, and some were “not for me” books. Nonetheless I’m glad to discover I have read a few lengthier books.

Let’s have a look-see.

Top Ten Tuesday October 9 | Bookshelf Reads that are LONG!

1: Five Magic Spindles (Novella Collection) | Who doesn’t love a good fairy-tale re-telling collection? Page count: 491. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 9

2: To Whisper Her Name by Tamara Alexander | To be honest, I don’t remember much about this historical novel. What I do know? The cover is gorgeous! Page count: 480. Amazon | Goodreads

3: Glittering Promises by Lisa T. Bergren | It’s been way too long since I read this series, but I remember loving it. Back when it released, Downton Abbey was at its height of popularity and the DA comparisons to this novel made it a must-read for this girl. Page count: 464. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 9

4, 5 & 6: A Passion Denied, A Passion Most Pure and A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman | Aw, a younger-Rissi romance series read. I still remember reading A Passion More Pure (book 1) and being enchanted with the sweet, but also “steamy” romance. My favorite book though is A Passion Denied. Page counts:

A Passion Denied: 482. Amazon | Goodreads • A Passion Most Pure: 480. Amazon | Goodreads • Passion Redeemed: 480. Amazon | Goodreads

*7: Diamonds in the Rough by Michelle Madow | Read this series so long ago, though if I’m being honest, I still haven’t read book three. Best get on this because one has to know how the Diamond sister’s and their stories end. Page count: 448. Amazon | Goodreads

*8: Abbie Ann by Sharlene MscLaren | This is a way long ago “throwback” read. Don’t remember a lot about the series, but at the time, I think I really enjoyed it. Page count: 400. Amazon | Goodreads

9: Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas | Much as I wanted to, this novel just wasn’t my cup of tea. It’s a kind of Cinderella re-telling that’s unique, but also somehow a bit disjointed. Have you read a good Cinderella story? Page Count: 480 Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 9

10: It Had to be You by Susan May Warren | Aw, love this story so much. It’s a contemporary romance that does have a happily ever after, but is also so much more than its final happy ending. Page count: 480. Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE*

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

Your turn! Tell me about the longest books you’ve ever read (it’s OK, I know you’ll all put my reading to shame) and what you liked or didn’t like about their length. Do you think a good story can be told (generally) in 300+ pages? Comment all the long-book-thoughts down in the comments. I want to know your thoughts.

If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.

*Yes, I did mix these two up. Oops!

• Chrissi Reads October 8, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Even though I have read some longer books, I do prefer to read books that are 300-400 pages long. I have such a busy job that I don’t feel I have time to dedicate to longer reads and I tend to feel bored of them if I’m reading them all week!

• Rissi October 9, 2018 at 12:30 am

I’m a major turtle reader, so I love 300-some page books. If I didn’t stick with the standard, I’d NEVER complete books. ;)

Thanks so much for visiting, Chrissi.

• Brooke Lorren October 9, 2018 at 1:34 am

I generally don’t care about page length (which is good because I’ve read a lot of super long books this year) unless I’ve read several really long books back to back. Then I get exhausted. The book I’m reading right now is not very good, so I’m glad it’s short.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Really Long Books That I’ve Read
  • Greg October 9, 2018 at 2:08 am

I do think generally that a good story can be told in roughly 300 pages, or even 400- but longer than that and it has to be really compelling or it feels a bit padded, I guess? I mean I like a good engrossing chunkster, but… not all the time lol?

• Cora @ Tea Party Princess October 9, 2018 at 3:42 am

Oh man, I’m exactly the same with long books! They’re so intimidating, and honestly I could probably read two or three shorter books in the same amount of time, so why?
    I do try to challenge myself to read at least *one* long book a year though. I try to do it early on so I can still salvage my Goodreads challenge haha.
    I didn’t realise the third Diamond Sister book was so long.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk

• Rissi JC October 9, 2018 at 2:53 pm

*high five* Glad to find a friend when it comes to long books.

I love what you say, “why?” So much truth. There’s not enough time (for me) to plod through long books.

Right!? I didn’t realize a ‘Diamond’ book was this long either.

Thanks for visiting, Cora. :)

• Ellie October 9, 2018 at 4:37 am

I usually think books need a good edit when they are really long, but I’ve read a handful where all the pages were necessary!

• Amy @ Happily Reading Ever After October 9, 2018 at 7:34 am

I’m definitely interested in the top two books you’ve mentioned. I love fairy tale retellings, so I probably have to check that one out sometime. I have never read any book over 1,000 pages. I kind of want to, but it probably would intimidate me. I definitely think a good story can be told around 300 pages.

• Poinsettia October 9, 2018 at 9:08 am

I try not to let page length dictate whether or not I’ll read a book. Fortunately, the longer books I’ve read have usually been worth the time it took to read them. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Belinda October 9, 2018 at 9:15 am

Great list! I too don’t pay much attention to the page length. The quality of the story is the important aspect. But I do admit that sometimes I do cringe a little at super big chunksters!!
    Belinda

• Katie @Just Another Girl and Her Books October 9, 2018 at 9:29 am

I have not heard of any of the books on your list. I’ll have to check some of them out. To answer your questions, my longest book was The Stand by Stephen King. I think what I liked most about reading big books when it was something I did regularly (before I started blogging) was being able to brag about reading such big books (and epic fantasy novels tend to be big because of the world building necessary to adequately tell the story and I love epic fantasy). I find big books a bit more intimidating now that I’m a blogger though.

Have a great week.

• Rissi JC October 15, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Fun! Hope you maybe discover one or two new ones to read. :)

I know fantasy tends to be longer, and this isn’t a genre I read much of. I prefer sci-fi/fantasy in film or TV shows. Either way, I’m glad you have enjoyed reading longer books – and I totally understand the not-wanting-to-read-long-books as a blogger.

Thanks for visiting, Katie – and my apologies for the reply delay.

• Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits October 9, 2018 at 10:44 am

Great list! I tend to prefer 300-400 page books too, but sometimes they get longer. For me, though, it’s more because I like to read the paper version and when books get too long they’re unwieldy to read.

• Rissi JC October 15, 2018 at 10:40 pm

This makes sense, Nicole (and I’m 100% all about the physical copy of the book!). Generally (though there are exceptions), I feel like a good story is told in 350 or so pages, which is often the standard of the books I read. :)

Thanks for visiting – and my apologies for the reply delay.

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense October 9, 2018 at 3:51 pm

I once thought I could get through Les Mis, but after a couple of years of just starting at my brick of a copy, I had to accept that it wasn’t never going to happen.

• Kelly @ Wandering Through Books October 9, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I haven’t read any of the books on your list yet (and I hadn’t even heard a couple of them) but there’s a few I might want to set some time (quite a bit… because lots of pages…) aside to pick them up!

• Rissi JC October 15, 2018 at 10:42 pm

Fun!! I hope if you do pick any of these up that you enjoy, Kelly. Top Ten Tuesday certainly helps in the discovery of new reads. :)

Thanks for visiting – and my apologies for the reply delay.

• Aj @ Read All The Things! October 10, 2018 at 7:34 pm

I don’t avoid long books, but I do procrastinate them for as long as possible. I probably shouldn’t because my TBR shelf is above my bed. I don’t want a 1000 page book falling on my head while I’m sleeping.

• Rissi JC October 15, 2018 at 10:43 pm

I avoid them – pretty much at all cost, AJ. You’re better than I am! Ouch. That WOULD hurt – not to mention be quite a wake up call! :)

Thanks for visiting – and my apologies for the reply delay.

• Allison October 10, 2018 at 9:57 pm

I love long books, but I also like being able to get through a LOT of books–so I don’t blame you for loving shorter ones :)

Love your images!

Allison recently posted: 10 Extra-Long Books Worth Reading
    • Rissi JC October 15, 2018 at 10:44 pm

THANKS, Allison. I have fun with the photos (although most the time I take them too “last-minute”).

I’m all about getting through as many books as I can, but being a turtle reader makes it tough. :D

Thanks for visiting – and my apologies for the reply delay.

• Teresa Mary Rose October 14, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I’m with you on Ash & Bramble, I read that one too and I just didn’t love it. There was potential there but meh.

• Rissi JC October 15, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Glad to meet someone who had a similar experience with Ash & Bramble. I REALLY wanted to like this one, but sadly, it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Thanks for visiting, Teresa – and my apologies for the reply delay.