Top Ten Tuesday | What’s in a Name? aka Favorite and Unique Character Names

May 22, 2018 38 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | What’s in a Name? aka Favorite and Unique
Character Names

Hello, happy readers and friends. Welcome back to another
edition of Top Ten Tuesday. This week the topic is especially fun methinks. Let’s
take a look.
That Artsy Reader Girl May 22: Best Character Names (make
this as narrow/broad as you’d like

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost
to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link.
Read the
disclosure page for details.)
Character names have been something I’ve talked
about off and on. To me, the more unique a character name (and provided I can
pronounce it!), the more that character’s story lingers with me. For example,
the name Katniss Everdeen is an “icon” in YA fiction. Despite the fact that I
do not love The Hunger Games, this name – and all of the characters,
really – has certainly stuck with me these many years. It just sounds cool.
I’m not ordinarily (with exception to a few cases)
the biggest fan of names that you see often spelled unusually, but when a name is
unique or unusual, it does help the character and the story linger in my
mind. Last week, I uploaded a video to Finding Wonderland’s Booktube channel in
which I discuss unique (and favorite) character names.

Today, we’re talking about eight additional names that are favorite. Let’s have a look.
1: Avery from Still Life by Dani Pettrey | Not
only do I love this name, I also love this character. Also, here’s a fact:
Avery is one of the character names from my old WIP novel. Which I
haven’t dusted off in years – and to be truthful, I’d be a little scared to
open said document today. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Bane Alexander from Against the Tide by
Elizabeth Camden | Years ago I read this wonderful historical novel. Though I
don’t remember particulars, I do remember loving this story, and the hero. Not
only is a good man of character, but how cool is his name!? Amazon | Goodreads
3: Caymen from The Distance Between Us by
Kasie West | This isn’t my favorite novel by West, but irrelevant of this, it’s
still a darling story that has a heroine with a
really (really) cool name.
Plus, if you like them, you’ll love knowing this one boasts
Gilmore Girls vibes.
Amazon | Goodreads

4: Celia from Jane of Austin by Hillary
Manton Lodge | Celia isn’t unusual in some of the ways Bane or Caymen is, but
it’s an old-fashioned name that I think is beautiful.
Amazon | Goodreads
5: Finley from There You’ll Find Me by Jenny
B. Jones | What I love about this name, I cannot quite pinpoint, but I do. I
think it suits the character so well, and is also crazy unique which as we’ve
established, I admire. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Hamlet from The Way You Make Me Feel by
Maurene Goo | I’m not a Shakespeare fan, but for this character and this story,
the name Hamlet is just… cool! Amazon | Goodreads

7: Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After by
Stephanie Perkins | Though I haven’t read this novel yet, I feel like the name
fits the character 100% “to a T.” It’s a striking name that sounds really
sophisticated, plus I love how it sounds as a title. Amazon | Goodreads

8: Lara Jean from To All the Boys I’ve Loved
Before by Jenny Han
| Again, this is another book I haven’t read (WHAT IS
WRONG WITH ME!? Now seems an excellent time to binge read considering the upcoming film). Irrelevant of this, from all I know of these stories, Lara
Jean sounds like the PERFECT name for this character.
Amazon | Goodreads
*video publishes Tuesday
afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
Of all the books on my shelf, I’ve zero doubt I could find MORE names that are favorites. But since I’m thinking a “part 2” video or something will be in my near future, I don’t want to use all of my favorites. What are your thoughts on character names? Do you prefer
more the names you see commonly or do you like names that sound unique? How do
you feel about unique spellings of names you see commonly? Tell me about your
favorite character names!
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland.

• Lauren Stoolfire May 22, 2018 at 4:03 am

I really want to like the name Avery, but I used to know someone with that name -and they colored my dislike of the name I expect…

Great list this week, Rissi!

• Rissi May 22, 2018 at 4:16 am

Totally understand this, Lauren – and I think we all are like this. My parent's have a similar story when they were picking out names for me. :)

Thanks for visiting!!

• Wendy @ Book Scents May 22, 2018 at 4:46 am

I also loved Caymen! Ahh and definitely read to all the boys! Such a great series! <3

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:14 pm

SO pumped to read Jenny's 'Boys' series, Wendy – especially in light of the upcoming movie adaptation!! :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Anonymous May 22, 2018 at 4:52 am

I love the name Avery and Isla. Such pretty names. :-)

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Aren't they? Isla sounds so sophisticated which I suspect will match this character quite well. :)

Glad you dropped by, Chrissi, as always.

• Greg May 22, 2018 at 6:01 am

I like Avery and Caymen, and Isla is really cool too.

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Avery and Caymen are two of my favorites! Thanks for visiting, Greg. :)

• Tóth Viktória May 22, 2018 at 7:44 am

Caymen sounds so awesome, you just introduced a new favorite name for me. :)

My TTT:https://fantasyraiders.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/top-ten-tuesday-how-do-you-pronounce-it-names/#more-8421

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Fun! And doesn't Caymen sound awesome?! It's such a unique name – and I think that's rare to find in contemporary novels. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Michelle May 22, 2018 at 7:46 am

I still need to read the 2nd and 3rd Lara Jean books, but I highly recommend the first one. It's so sweet and happy and awesome. Isla is a cool name too!! I have a friend who named her kid that and I know she doesn't know about that book, but it's 100% the first thing I thought of when I heard what she picked!

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:19 pm

YAY!! So happy to read all the good thoughts for Jenny's 'Boys' book. Cannot wait to read those – in fact, I saw the paperbacks in store today which is just another reminder to READ the series. :)

Love Isla too. It's a great name – and what a cool story about your friend. Funny how we bookworms associate things with books, right!?

Thanks so much for visiting, Michelle.

• Flipping Through the Pages May 22, 2018 at 11:26 am

Nice list! Avery is definitely my favourite here. Such a unique name.

My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/05/ten-diverse-books-of-2018-on-my-tbr-with-character-names-in-the-title/

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:20 pm

I agree! Avery is so unique – and pretty, too!

Thanks for visiting. :)

• Jess @ Jessticulates May 22, 2018 at 11:58 am

Great list! I agree, I think Celia is a really pretty name, and while I haven't read Against the Tide I do think Bane Alexander sounds like a brilliant character name.

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Right? Bane is not only a cool character name, he's an amazing character too!

Thanks so much for visiting, Jess. :)

• Rachel Dixon May 22, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Oh I love this list!

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Thanks, Rachel. :)

• Joann Downie May 22, 2018 at 1:08 pm

I have Against the Tide on my want to read list, I liked your names, isn't it funny how many different names there are?

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:23 pm

It is! There's SO many different names too, and in addition to this, there are lots of variations on common names, too.

Thanks so much for visiting, Joann. :)

• Jessie @ Dwell in Possibility May 22, 2018 at 1:21 pm

These are all interesting, unique, and lovely character names! I especially love Isla, Celia, and Avery.

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Three of my very favorites. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Jessie.

• Crazy Lady May 22, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Avery is one of my favorite names, I love it! Excellent list.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:27 pm

It's so pretty – and unique too! Thanks for visiting. :)

• Anne Bennett May 22, 2018 at 3:44 pm

I keep pronouncing ISLA as ILSA. That's not confusing. Argh. My TTT Dickens Names

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Totally understandable! (For me, this is an easy mistake since there's the Elsa character from Disney's Frozen.)

Thanks for visiting, Anne. :)

• Brittaney May 22, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Ah, Bane. Such a memorable character with an equally memorable name. I love the names Isla and Finley.

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:30 pm

So much yes! In fact, I really should make the effort to re-read this one. :)

Thanks for visiting, Brittaney.

• IloveHeartlandX May 22, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Avery is the chosen name of my main character in my current WIP! Nice choice :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/top-ten-tuesday-160/

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm

How fun!! Hope your WIP is going well. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense May 22, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Lara Jean is the perfect name for the character. I hope you get a chance to meet her soon. I'm so looking forward to meeting Hamlet.

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Lara's name SEEMS 100% perfect for the character. Me too! Hoping this summer I'll FINALLY read these books. :)

Thanks for visiting, Alicia.

• Kay Wisteria @HammockofBooks May 22, 2018 at 10:43 pm

I love Lara Jean! The name, the character, the book <3 Great list! Happy Tuesday :)

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Thanks so much, Kay – and me too! Lara Jean seems like the ideal name. :)

• Nicole's Novel Reads May 22, 2018 at 10:57 pm

I love the name Isla in general. It's such an unique name and I love Isla and the Happily Ever After.

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:36 pm

It is! Isla sounds so delicate. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Nicole.

• Daniela Ark May 25, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Hamlet and Isla are may favorites on your list! I'm glad I visited your blog. So pretty! :)

• Rissi May 25, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Hi, Daniela. Thank you so much for the kind words – and for visiting! Visit anytime. We love our fangirl and bookish talks here. :)

Isla is forever one of my favorite names. It sounds so pretty.