Six New-to-Me Author Discoveries in 2018 | Top Ten Tuesday

January 14, 2019 30 Comments
Top Ten Tuesday January 15

Hello, everyone and welcome again to another addition of a popular meme; this time it’s the Top Ten Tuesday January 15 edition – and NEW (to us) authors.

That Artsy Reader Girl | January 15: New-to-Me Authors I Read In 2018

Top Ten Tuesday January 15

Ok, so… fun as this topic is, it’s also something of a challenge. Why? Well, I didn’t read all that many books this year. To be fair, I never read many books because I’m a turtle reader and well, I kind of like keeping my numbers low when I think about it. It tells me that the books I do spend time with mean more to me and I’m actually enjoying those I read.

Nonetheless, I did find a few new-to-me (and in some cases, a debut author or two) author whose novel I enjoyed in 2018. Let’s have a look.

Top Ten Tuesday January 15: Six New-To-Me Author Discoveries in 2018

1: The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo | Cute and breezy, this one is plain and simple, a fun read. Enough said. Amazon | Goodreads

2: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han | Yes, I realize I put this book on way too many lists, but what can I say? This book is darling and full of happy moments. Also, the Netflix adaptation is exactly what it needed to be. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday January 15

3: The Saturday Night Supper Club by Carla Laureno | So glad I remembered to add this one! For some reason I thought I read this one at the end of 2017, but I actually read it in January 2018. Or that’s what I’m learning. Either way, it’s a great read, and I think this is the first book I’ve read by Carla. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Kiss Me in New York by Catherine Rider | This one is adorable. It’s be a YA writing duo, and though it might not be a “think-y” novel, it’s exactly the kind of book I best enjoy reading. Amazon | Goodreads

5: The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson | This little sci-fi novella is fast-paced, and entertains in all the best of ways. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday January 15

6: The Memory of You by Catherine West | Read this one for last year’s INSPYs*, and discovered I really did like it. Amazon | Goodreads

(*speaking of the INSPYs: make sure to nominate your favorites from 2018 in our 2019 awards! The nomination window closes January 16th!)

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

Six New-to-Me Author Discoveries in 2018 | #TopTenTuesday Click To Tweet

Tell me, what debut authors did you discover this year? Did you like or dislike the new discoveries? Tell me all about some of the new authors you’ve made; I’d love to know about them – so I can read them too, of course!

If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Chrissi Reads January 14, 2019 at 11:40 pm

I definitely need to read more from Maurene Goo. I liked the book that I did read! :-)

• Rissi @ Finding Wonderland January 14, 2019 at 11:58 pm

Same! I look forward to reading her 2017 release, and of course, her upcoming 2019 book as well. Thanks so much for the visit, Chrissi. :)

• Greg January 15, 2019 at 12:15 am

I had a wee bit of trouble w/ this topic as well. A few of the authors came to mind quickly but then I had to really go through my 2018 reads for some of the others. anyway Kara Swanson’s novella sounds good to me, and since I’m not familiar with it I’ll have to go check it out!

Happy Tuesday!

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:36 am

I’m glad I wasn’t alone in this! I think my main problem is that I don’t read many books in a year, so it’s hard to break it up with all the many post-year topics. Kara’s novella is a fast-paced, and really entertaining read. Hope you enjoy if you do read it – and as always, thanks for the visit, Greg. :)

• Kay Wisteria @hammockofbooks January 15, 2019 at 12:28 am

Jenny Han was new to me too and I absolutely adore her and am so glad I read her works ❤️ Happy reading :)

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:37 am

Isn’t her book magical? Loved it, and now cannot wait to read Lara Jean’s third book, and hopefully Jenny’s ‘Summer’ trilogy, too. :) Thanks for the visit, Kay.

• Brooke Lorren January 15, 2019 at 2:08 am

I’ve heard that you can never talk about an author too much, so keep putting Jenny Han on your lists. There are still people (like me) who haven’t read those books yet!

Brooke Lorren recently posted: New to Me Authors I Read in 2018
    • Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:40 am

Thanks, Brooke. I’ll try to keep the trend going. :) Appreciate your visit.

• Beckie B. January 15, 2019 at 6:09 am

I “discovered” Carla Laureano too! Another new-to-me author is Lindsey Brackett, a fellow Georgian, author of Still Waters. These 2, plus 8 others are on my list.

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:41 am

I read Lindsey’s book, too, Beckie! As I remember, it’s a really nice read. Thanks so much for the visit! :)

• Lydia January 15, 2019 at 6:44 am

Yes, Jenny Han is a great choice. Do you like the Netflix adaptation of her work? I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.

This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:42 am

She is indeed, Lydia. YES, the Netflix adaptation is wonderful! One of my favorite films of 2018 for sure. Let me know if/when you see it. :) Appreciate your visit.

• Lydia January 18, 2019 at 11:38 am

I will be sure to do that!

• Poinsettia January 15, 2019 at 8:17 am

I really need to read To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. It sounds so sweet! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:44 am

It definitely is sweet! Hope you enjoy – and thanks for the visit. :)

• Kyra Morris January 15, 2019 at 11:15 am

I love Jenny Han’s summer trilogy! I’m sure I’ll love To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before when I get around to reading it.

My TTT post!

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:46 am

YAY! I’m so glad to know this, Kyra. I still need to read Jenny’s ‘Summer’ trilogy, but am hopeful I too will enjoy those. :) Thanks so much for the visit.

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense January 15, 2019 at 11:17 am

To All the Boys is all kinds of darling. It’s one that I read years ago and still remains at the top of my favorite contemporaries list.

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:48 am

Well said, Alicia. Well said. Now I just need to read the third book to discover how Lara Jean’s story ends. Until then, bring on the Netflix sequel. :) Thanks so much for the visit!

• Ashley S. January 15, 2019 at 12:30 pm

The Girl Who Could See was such an awesome novella! The Saturday Night Supper Club is in my TBR pile and I’m hoping to read it soon. It sounds so good.

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:49 am

It sure is! One I really enjoyed from the past year. Hope you like Carla’s when you have the chance to read it, Ashley. :) Happy reading – and thanks for the visit.

• Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books) January 15, 2019 at 3:14 pm

I haven’t read anything by any of the authors you mentioned, although several of the books you listed are on my TBR mountain chain somewhere. I’ll get to them eventually! I hope …

Happy TTT!

Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books) recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday: New Authors, Old Year
    • Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:50 am

I hope you enjoy those that are on your TBR, Susan – and I relate to you about that TBR mountain! :) Happy reading – and thanks so much for the visit.

• Lauren @ Always Me January 15, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I have read that Jenny Han book, but that’s it for your list. I would like to try Maureen Goo though. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:51 am

Hope you enjoy Maurene’s books if you read them, Lauren. I still want to read her “I Believe in a Thing Called Love,” and of course her 2019 release, too. Thanks so much for the visit! :)

• Dani January 16, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Oh, Jenny Han. TATBILB is so sweet and I absolutely loved the Netflix version, too. Here’s to hoping the sequel is just as lovely :)

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:53 am

Ditto – on both counts, Dani. Cannot wait for the Netflix sequel, and of course reading book three, too. :) Thanks so much for the visit.

• MJSH January 17, 2019 at 3:48 am

Carla Laureano and Catherine West are some of my favorite authors! My daughter recently discovered Jenny Han and loves her books.

• Rissi January 18, 2019 at 8:54 am

I really enjoyed the novel I read by Catherine, and am glad your daughter enjoys Jenny Han. Her books are delightful. :) Thanks so much for the visit.

• Hanne January 20, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Jenny Han is an author who’s high on my TBR, and I have The Memory of You sitting on my shelf, waiting to be gotten to, and I /think/ I have the Girl Who Could See on Kindle? I’m not sure. oh, and the Saturday Night Supper Club is a book that’s on my TBR only because of it’s cover: I like it a lot!