Top Ten Tuesday | Books that Take us on Armchair Adventures

June 12, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday | Books that Take us on Armchair Adventures

Hey, Tuesday – and fellow bookworm friends! It’s a brand new
week, and an opportunity to have a happy week full of good things (like
books!). Today we’re joining another week of Top Ten Tuesday with That Artsy
Reader Girl.
That Artsy Reader Girl June 12: Books That Awaken the
Travel Bug In Me

(This post
does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost to you, I may
receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Read
the
disclosure page for details.)
Anyone who’s read Finding Wonderland’s reviews knows what an armchair
travel bug I am. This is perhaps even more true considering I don’t real-life
travel. Oh, it’s not that I wouldn’t like to now and again, but life simply
doesn’t permit this right now. Still, why bother with extra costs when you can
visit these places through the imaginative minds of creative authors?
Today’s list is comprised of two parts. The first is of books I have
read and that did “awaken” that travel bug. The second are books I cannot wait
to read and I fervently hope awaken the travel bug in me! On this list are
familiar and “cozy” favorites (that I’ve likely “over-listed” – or is there
such a thing for favorite books?!), and then there are some newer releases that
leave me eager to read.
Let’s have a look at said list.

Books that Took Me on an Armchair Adventure

(from A-Z)

1: The Red Door Inn by Liz Johnson | Location: Prince Edward Island | One
should argue that I really fell in love with this place thanks to Anne of
Green Gables
. But as I haven’t read the books (I know… should a read book
nerd even admit this?), I opted to include Liz’s beautiful contemporary. Amazon
| Goodreads

2: Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge | Location: Texas, USA | One
of my more recent reads, I really enjoyed this one. Contrary to my
expectations, I also found seeing Texas through the eyes of Celia and Jane very
entertaining.
Amazon | Goodreads

3: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins | Location: Paris,
France | Yes, I know. I’ve included this novel – a lot, on these types of
lists. But in my defense I don’t think it’s been featured lately… plus, it’s
PARIS!!
Amazon | Goodreads

4: A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay | Location: Italy | This
is perhaps one of the most vibrant descriptions of an “armchair adventure”
novel. It’s somehow intimate and still gloriously on display in this novel
which is a testament to the talent of the author.
Amazon | Goodreads

5: Geek Girl by Holly Smale | Location: England | Aww, Geek Girl!
Who wouldn’t adore this character – and of course, the setting hurts nothing.
Amazon | Goodreads

6: When I Fall in Love by Susan May Warren | Location: Hawaii, USA | I’ve
often heard Hawaii is beautiful, and if photos or the movies are any
indication, I believe this. My cousin’s family has visited, and I’m wondering:
do you think they’d noticed if I tagged along next time?
Amazon | Goodreads

Books that That I Hope Take Me on an Armchair Adventure(Sorted from a-z, by author)

7: City Love by Susane Colasanti | Location, New York, USA | I’m under
no allusion that New York would be a place I could call home, but I’d love to
someday visit it just for the chance to see its bright-eyed hustle and bustle.
Amazon | Goodreads
8: We’ll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han | Location: A Beach Town | Reading one of Jenny’s books have been a
high priority for way too long. This trilogy seems the perfect one to
binge this summer, plus who wouldn’t wish to be transported to the beach?
Amazon | Goodreads

9: Royals by Rachel Hawkins |
Location: Scotland | This one looks fun and frothy!
Amazon | Goodreads

10: Love and Gelato by Jenna Evans
Welch | Location: Italy | Yet
another book that’s been on my bookshelf
for far too long. Note to self: start reading your bookshelf books! They’re
getting lonely… and dusty.
Amazon | Goodreads
*video
publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
This
again wraps up today’s list. Tell me, what sort of book awakens that travel bug
in you? Do you have favorites you could read again and again for the experience
of the “armchair adventure”? Have you read any I mention today? Comment down
below with all those bookish thoughts! I’m eager to chat with you all.
If you joined today’s meme, make
sure and leave your Top Ten Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply
introduce your blog. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces. (It may take me
the week, but I’ll be by!)
Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.

• Dani Dewey

June 12, 2018 at 4:20 am

I love Anna & the French Kiss and Royals! I have been seeing Jane of Austin around, that looks quite sweet.
    Dani @ The Restricted Section

June 12, 2018 at 4:25 am

Me too (on the 'Anna' comment). I've yet to read Royals, but it sounds fun – and enjoy Jane of Austin! :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Dani.

• Rachel Dixon

June 12, 2018 at 4:25 am

I am sad to say I have not read any of these yet! :(

June 12, 2018 at 4:37 am

There's some good places inside these pages, Rachel. Happy reading – and thanks for visiting! :)

• ChrissiReads

June 12, 2018 at 4:27 am

I love Geek Girl! I can see why that would be a wonderful armchair read. Lovely list, Rissi! My TTT

June 12, 2018 at 4:41 am

Yes, yes it is, Chrissi. Thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Anne Bennett

June 12, 2018 at 4:51 am

Anna and the French Kiss is on a lot of lists. It does make one want to visit Paris, oui? TTT Books that Make Me Want to Travel

June 12, 2018 at 4:55 am

YES, yes it does! It's one I'm seeing on lots of lists too, but really, as you say, it fits perfectly with the theme.

Thanks so much for visiting, Anne. :)

• Greg

June 12, 2018 at 5:13 am

Great topic! (I tend to overlist favorite books too lol). Paris for sure, and ooh Love and Gelato- that was a good book, plus Italy!! I think Prince Edward Island (to visit OR read about) would be awesome too!

June 12, 2018 at 5:34 am

I blame 'Anne' for my fascination with Prince Edward Island. It looks beautiful, and it is beautiful in this series too. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, as always.

• Alyce Hunt

June 12, 2018 at 10:40 am

I kept switching my choices for this week's topic because there were far too many to choose from, but I'm so annoyed at myself for not including Anna and the French Kiss. I was never one of those people who was DYING to go to Paris… Until I read that book, and now it's top of my travel bucket list.

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday!

June 15, 2018 at 4:33 am

This is a Top Ten Tuesday meme feeling I'm FAR too familiar with, Alyce. In fact, just thinking back over some of these books and those on my shelf, I could have added SO many others.

How fun! Isn't it cool how much a book (re: 'Anna') can "come alive" for us?

Appreciate you stopping by! :)

• Brittaney

June 12, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I also love Hillary Manton Lodge Two Blue Door series. I'm kind of mad I didn't think of it for this week's prompt since it gives us glimpses of Portland, Memphis and several French locations.

June 15, 2018 at 4:35 am

OHMYGOSH!! Hillary's 'Two Blue Door' series is beautiful… and marvelous, and wonderful. Why didn't I include it? We're in the same boat this week, Brittaney. Next time, right!? :)

Thanks, as always for visiting.

• Crazy Lady

June 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm

I really want to read both Geek Girl and Anna and the French Kiss! Great list this week!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

June 15, 2018 at 4:37 am

Geek Girl is 110% of adorable. I hope you enjoy it – and 'French Kiss,' when you have the chance to read these books. They're entertaining – and both have amazing humor. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense

June 12, 2018 at 5:46 pm

This is the third time seeing Love & Gelato on a list this werk. I haven't read it yet either, but it looks delightful.

June 15, 2018 at 4:39 am

Doesn't it look darling?! Most certainly a book I have been meaning to prioritize for WAY too long. :)

Glad to have you visit, Alicia.

• Amanda Holmes

June 12, 2018 at 6:57 pm

We'll Always Have Summer looks adorable!
    I have a few of the same titles that made it on to my list.;)

June 15, 2018 at 4:40 am

Doesn't it!? Gotta' love a good summer contemporary!!

Glad to have you stop in, Amanda. Thanks! :)

• Joann Downie

June 12, 2018 at 11:52 pm

Well I was lucky enough to visit Hawaii, and it is breathtakingly beautiful!! I also want to read Love and Gelato-it has many good reviews, and Anna and the French Kiss is on quite a few lists this week!!

June 15, 2018 at 4:43 am

How wonderful, Joann! So cool to hear more confirmation of Hawaii's beauty. I watch the CBS show, Hawaii Five-O and golly, even if it's only half as pretty as the camera suggests, I know I'd love it. :)

Glad to know Love & Gelato has positive reviews, and I agree. I say Anna and the French Kiss on lots of lists too.

Thanks for visiting!!

• Jessica Elizabeth

June 13, 2018 at 4:31 am

So many fun books on this list! And I adore the term Armchair Adventure. We can always use more of those!

June 15, 2018 at 4:45 am

I agree, Jessica. A good Armchair Adventure is never out of style. :)

Appreciate you stopping by. Thanks!

• Eve

June 13, 2018 at 11:29 am

Anna made my list too! So man great places to visit through books! My Top Ten

June 15, 2018 at 4:46 am

It's really too perfect NOT to include in this topic. Or I thought so. :)

Glad to have you stop by, Eve – thanks!

• Tracy

June 14, 2018 at 3:10 am

Great list! I haven't read any of these, but I'd love to visit Scotland and I really enjoyed Italy when I visited!

June 16, 2018 at 12:42 am

Right? Scotland looks SO beautiful. My cousin has been there (and lots of other places), and she's loved all of her adventures. :)

How cool! I'm glad you were able to visit Italy. That also seems like a dream destination.

Glad you visited, Tracy.

• Krystianna Straley

June 15, 2018 at 1:02 am

Anna and the French Kiss is definitely a book that makes me want to travel more. I wanted to visit France so badly after reading it. City Love is also great.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

June 16, 2018 at 12:46 am

Same, Krtstianna! It's such a travel bug rich environment. :)

Glad to know City Love is also fun. I've been meaning to read that one for WAY too long.

Glad you stopped by. Thanks!

• Lauren Stoolfire

June 15, 2018 at 1:48 am

Yes, Geek Girl was a lot of fun! :)

Lauren @ Always Me

June 16, 2018 at 12:47 am

YES!! I loved it. :)

Always great to chat with you, Lauren.