Sweet Novella Stories Sure to Impress

July 17, 2018 33 Comments

Hey, happiest Top Ten Tuesday. Today’s theme is all about the “short and sweet” or Sweet Novella Stories. Our That Artsy Reader Girl July 17 topic reads: Favorite Novellas/Short Stories

Sweet Novella Stories Sure to Impress. Talking a few of the "short and sweet" novella stories that look entertaining. Text © Rissi JC
Sweet Novella Stories Sure to Impress #FWarchives Click To Tweet

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Read the disclosure page for details.)

Because of the topic, I feel like it’s best to be all about the “short and sweet” intros and reasons. Until recent years (“recent”
being maybe 2-3 years) I rarely, if ever, read novellas. But then friends began self-publishing and to begin their journey into publishing, they penned novellas. Of course, knowing this, I was ready, willing and excited to give these books a fair chance.

From this experience, I’ve discovered some sweet and even some emotionally complex stories packed in these small packages. The
tales I collected below feature historical stories, contemporary tales and of course, a romantic-comedy (or two). I’ve read most of these, but there is one on this list that sits on my shelf unread (but in fairness to me, it’s a new addition).

In keeping with today’s theme, we’ll walk through these stories with “short and sweet” thoughts. Let’s have a look.

SWEET NOVELLA STORIES

1: This Quiet Sky by Joanne Bischof | Bittersweet and sad, this novel is beautiful. Amazon | Goodreads

2: The Perfect Arrangement by Katie Ganshert | Romantic-comedy bliss a-la You’ve Got Mail. Amazon | Goodreads

3: Dancing with the Prince by Kennedy Larsen | This one sits on my shelf unread. But as I said, it along book one (what!? I
*had* to feature this one because 1: the color theme is pink and 2: I prefer its softer appearance) a new addition. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Love in Three-Quarter Time by Rachel McMillan | If you like intellectual romances set in foreign (aka stunning) locales, this contemporary adult novella is your perfect match. Amazon | Goodreads

5: As Easy as Riding a Bike by Bell Renshaw | More romantic-comedy bliss! This one is all about the small town lovin’ and romancin’. In other words, it’s a delight. Amazon | Goodreads

6: How a Star Falls by Amber Stokes | One of my best blogging friends, Amber has released a handful of sweet novellas (contemporaries and historical reads). Among them is this new adult romance – plus you can read her just-released companion story to this one, or her spin on the Sleeping Beauty fairytale! Amazon | Goodreads

7: The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson | Unique and fast-paced, this novella story is a kind of sci-fi tale that works in some
cute romantics. Amazon | Goodreads

8: If Ever I Would Leave You by Susan May Warren | It may be the shortest book on this list (not sure because I didn’t fact check), but this novella is beautiful, and serves as an excellent tease for this couple’s full-length love story. Amazon | Goodreads

9: Then Came You by Becky Wade | This is actually one story I’ve re-read. If you’ve read some of my prior posts, you know re-reading is not something I often do. But this one I have experienced in two different story mediums (written and audio), and both were enchanting. Amazon | Goodreads

What are some of the short or novella stories you’ve read and liked? As always, I’d love to read about your recommendations – and am curious: have you read any of these? Tell me what you dislike vs. like about novellas! Make yourself a bowl of ice cream (because it’s National Ice Cream month), and share all the bookish thoughts below.

If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces.

Thank you for visiting! Come back soon.

PS: before you go…

if you’d like to have Finding Wonderland’s new content sent to your inbox; sign up for our once (or twice) monthly round up of new content. (In order to be signed up, you will be asked to confirm via email; if you don’t confirm, you will not receive the newsletter. Please note, this may also end up in your spam or trash folder.) If you’d like to have this newsletter sent to your inbox, you can enter your email address here.

• ChrissiReads July 17, 2018 at 4:26 AM

These novellas look so cute! :-) Great list! My TTT

• Rissi July 17, 2018 at 4:27 AM

They sure are, Chrissi. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Anne Bennett July 17, 2018 at 4:39 AM

I put my thinking-cap on and couldn't think of any or many novellas. I must not read them, because I don't even recognize any of your selections, but I do read short stories. My favorite short stories

• Rissi July 17, 2018 at 4:57 AM

I don't read many, Anne (or at least I didn't up until a couple of years ago), but those I have read have become new favorites. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Greg July 17, 2018 at 5:25 AM

Love in three Quarter Time sounds great! I think it's neat you've found novellas/ short stories to love from writer friends. I haven't read a ton of novellas but of the ones I have tried, I've been pretty lucky to mostly like them.

• Rissi July 17, 2018 at 4:24 PM

It is, Greg. It's a unique and atmospheric story that works well – especially since the author has traveled to so many of the places she writes about. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses) July 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM

I haven't read any of these, but they do look really interesting. I will definitely be checking a few of these out! Thanks for the tips!

Our TTT: https://thebookdutchesses.com/2018/07/17/ttt-36-favorite-novellas-short-stories/

• Rissi July 17, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Thank you for visiting, Isabelle – and if you read any of these, I do hope you enjoy. :)

• Crazy Lady July 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM

Nice take on the theme – sometimes we need something short, fast, and sweet!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:46 PM

Right? I 100% agree. Plus, they're always quick reading. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Unknown July 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM

Thank you so much for featuring LOVE IN THREE QUARTER!!!! I had so much fun with that story!

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:47 PM

My pleasure, Rachel. Congrats on your September release! Looking forward to reading it. :)

• Brittaney July 17, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Several of your picks also made my list this week too! I LOVE This Quiet Sky! It's one of my favorite stories ever.

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Same. It's such a beautiful (albeit emotional) read. But then Joanne's a talent unlike any other (that I've read).

Thanks as always for visiting, Brittaney! :)

• Ashley Sapp July 17, 2018 at 5:51 PM

So many great books on your list! Love in Three Quarter Time is one of the best stories I've read this year. I loved The Girl Who Could See, too. Such a unique story.

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM

YAY! Glad you spy some favorites – and did you see Rachel announced another romance novella to release this fall!? Sounds like another great adventure.

Thanks for visiting, Ashley. :)

• Hallie July 17, 2018 at 6:44 PM

thanks for sharing! I don't think I've read any novellas so I'm happy to have some to add to my list

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Always fun to discover some new possible reads. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Hallie.

• Kelly July 17, 2018 at 7:55 PM

The Girl Who Could See sounds intriguing! I'm so unfamiliar with the world of novellas that I'm hearing about a lot of new titles this week!

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:52 PM

It is, Kelly! I do hope if you decide to read it, you enjoy. I liked that it was more novella length than full length since futuristic stories can (for me) drag on too long. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense July 17, 2018 at 10:02 PM

These do look short and sweet. Nice picks!

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:52 PM

They are indeed, Alicia. Thanks for visiting. :)

• Amber Holcomb July 17, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Thank you SO much for including How a Star Falls, friend!! ♥ I've really enjoyed some others on your list, like This Quiet Sky, Love in Three-Quarter Time, and The Girl Who Could See. :) I think I read The Perfect Arrangement at some point? And I really ought to read Then Came You!

~Amber

• Amber Holcomb July 17, 2018 at 10:36 PM

Okay…now I can't remember if I've read The Perfect Arrangement, and yet Amazon shows I bought it… Hmmm…

~Amber

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:57 PM

My pleasure, Amber. I cannot wait to read your new novella too. :)

So many good stories packed into such a tiny tale, right?

The Perfect Arrangement is darling! And I feel your dilemma. I've had this situation with books or films LOTS of times. It kinda makes me feel old. ;)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• AJ Sterkel July 17, 2018 at 11:05 PM

I haven’t read any of these, but I love the photos. Great list!

Aj @ Read All The Things!

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 4:59 PM

Thanks so much for visiting, AJ. :)

• MJSH July 18, 2018 at 12:01 AM

I’ve only read Susan May Warren’s and Katie Ganshert’s novellas from this list. I need to read Becky Wade’s, Joanne Bischof’s, and Rachel McMillan’s.

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Both favorites of mine. I hope you read those you're still anticipating. :)

Glad to have you stop in.

• Tracy July 18, 2018 at 3:58 PM

I've never read any of these, but I've added a couple to my list! Thanks for sharing :D

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 5:06 PM

Fun! I do hope you enjoy if you have the chance to read them, Tracy. :)

Glad you visited.

• Lindsi July 22, 2018 at 6:53 AM

These are all new-to-me, but I added a few to my TBR! You always put so much work into your photographs… I just don't have the patience, but wish I did. ;)

? Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

• Rissi July 24, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Fun! Hope you enjoy those you think sound good, Lindsi. Thanks for the kind words re: the photos. I don't always have the patience either, but in the end, I'm always glad I stuck with it. :D

Thanks for visiting!