Top Ten Tuesday November 20

Top Ten Tuesday | Gather Around the Happy Bookworm Table

November 19, 2018 21 Comments

Hello, readers. It’s Tuesday (where do these weeks go?), and today there’s a new Finding Wonderland edition of Top Ten Tuesday.

That Artsy Reader Girl | Top Ten Tuesday November 20: Thanksgiving/Thankful Freebie

For my “freebie” topic, I feature five families or characters who embody the idea of “family.” Or maybe just people I wish were coming to my house for Thanksgiving.  I’m 99% sure I’ve already done this, but it’s always fun to repeat topics plus who doesn’t enjoy putting favorite characters in all the lists!?

Below I talk about some of the more memorable characters and the families’ talented authors have introduced me too. Since Thanksgiving is a time to remember, reflect and express gratitude, it doesn’t feel like any direction but family is the way to go.

Let’s look at some of these amazing characters.

Top Ten Tuesday November 20*

*aka the Top Ten Tuesday topic in which I cannot count to ten (yes, I shorted this list!)

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: The March Sisters (Louisa May Alcott) | Who wouldn’t want to meet these girls? They’re each unique and memorable in their own ways. Because of this, we are bound to relate to one or more of them. Amazon | Goodreads

2: The Covey Family (Jenny Han) | I fell in love with this family this year thanks to the novel To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. I fell further in love with them in the Netflix adaptation, and continue to love them. Oh, and I haven’t read books 2 and 3  yet! Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday November 20

3: The Woodward Sisters (Hillary Manton Lodge) | These characters are rich with purpose and oh-so-memorable. Jane of Austin is a contemporary re-telling of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility, and is without question one of my favorite novels. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Jonah, and Family (Emery Lord) | OK, to be honest, I didn’t much care for When We Collided by Emery Lord. That said, the characters are memorable, so they 100% deserve a place on this list. Amazon | Goodreads

5: The Cuthberts and Anne Shirley (L.M Montgomery) | Do these characters even need me to justify their inclusion? Amazon | Goodreads

6: The Manners Family (Holly Smale) | Love this family, and these ‘Geek Girl’ books from a talented British author. These books never cease to coax smiles. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday November 20

7: The Bennet Sisters (Debra White Smith) | While the “original” Lizzy and Jane are the best; the contemporary sisters in Debra White Smith’s Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice re-telling are memorable, too. Mostly Elizabeth and Jane since Lydia is (if possible) more hopeless in these pages. Amazon | Goodreads

8: The Bradford Sisters, and Family (Becky Wade) | These sisters! They’re some of my favorite bookish people to hang out with. Much as I anticipate Britt’s story this spring, I know I’ll also be sad to leave these characters. Amazon (Book one) | Goodreads

9: The Reynolds Family (Kasie West) | A big, loud and boisterous family of boys with one girl? Of course, this is going to be a recipe for fun! Amazon | Goodreads

Talking about a #bookworm #Thanksgiving! Who would you invite to your table? #TopTenTuesday | Gather Around the Happy Bookworm Table Click To Tweet

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE*

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

How did you spin this week’s topic? Did you talk specific characters, create a list of what you’re most thankful for, or curate books with thankfulness as its center? Do you have anything bookish (or non) related you’re most thankful for? Share all the thoughts down below.

Remember, feel free to leave your Top Ten Tuesday lists below so I can visit, and introduce yourself if you’re a new reader or blogger! Welcome.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Chrissi Reads November 19, 2018 at 11:33 pm

Brilliant post, Rissi! I love strong families in books.

• Greg November 20, 2018 at 2:16 am

I loved the family in To All The boys! Never read the book but thought the adaptation was awesome. :)

• Melanie November 20, 2018 at 2:55 am

This list is too perfect. So much yes to The Bennett Sisters, the March Sisters, the Woodward sisters and the Cuthberts. It makes me want to go haul out my classics collection!

• Kathy November 20, 2018 at 5:34 am

Great families Rissi! You certainly can’t go wrong with the March family and Anne Shirley and the Cuthberts. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

• Poinsettia November 20, 2018 at 7:01 am

I love your take on this week’s topic! Yes to the March sisters and Anne Shirley and the Cuthberts! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Ashley S. November 20, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Yes! I love the Bradford sisters! It’d be so much fun to spend Thanksgiving with them and the rest of their family.

• Brittaney B November 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I love how many family groups you listed that include sisters. Being the oldest in a family of three girls, sister stories are always close to my heart.

• Rissi JC November 20, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Aw, this is so cool, Brittaney. I love that these stories touch you; sister stories always make an impact on me too, and oftentimes I relate SO much to the ups and downs in the relationships.

Thanks muchly for the visit, as always. :)

• Jessica November 20, 2018 at 6:39 pm

YES, YES, YES, to all of these families. You had me at March sisters and even moreso at the Covey family. They give me all kinds of warm and fuzzies. I like how you approached this topic. And now I kind of want to reread a lot of the books that these families came from. Great post!

• Amanda Holmes November 20, 2018 at 10:20 pm

I love your spin on this week’s topic! So many excellent choices.;)

• Brooke Lorren November 21, 2018 at 2:56 am

I like your take on this week’s topic! I don’t know who I’d pick to have over for Thanksgiving. The Anne of Green Gables group were probably very nice though.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Bookish Things I’m Thankful For
  • Katie @Just Another Girl and Her Books November 21, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Oh yes on the March sisters, except maybe Amy. I never did like her. Hope you have a great week.

• Niamh @ nuggets of niamh November 22, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I really liked this twist on the Thanksgiving topic! I love strong family themes in books so I will have to remember this for next year! When We Collided has been on my TBR for a while now and I haven’t been inspired to pick it up yet, but now I’m looking forward to reading about Jonah and his family!

Niamh @ nuggets of niamh recently posted: books I am thankful for // Top Ten Tuesday