Top Ten Tuesday | Books That Will Get You Out of a Reading Slump

August 21, 2018 46 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Books That Will Get You Out of a Reading Slump

Hey, fellow readers and book bloggers. Today’s another good
day because it’s all about the bookish meme love known as Top Ten Tuesday.
That Artsy Reader Girl August 21: Books to Pull You Out
of a Reading Slump

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through
these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to
you. Read the
disclosure page for details.)
Ah, the
dreaded reading slump. We all encounter these, don’t we? I do, but usually my
philosophy (right or wrong) is to press on, and continue to read. Sometimes
these reading slumps are the cause of emotions or sometimes it’s because the
book is a “meh
read.
I’ll be honest, when this
happens, as I said, I tend to press on. There’s often too many books I’ve
agreed to review (plus I’m a TURTLE reader) for me to take a “break,” and read
something different. That said, I feel like these books I list today would be
the ideal novels to pull me from a reading slump. (And some I know would because I’ve read their delightful pages.)
Beware, there will be lots of
“repeat” books from previous Top Ten lists. What can I say!? When I find a favorite, I stick
with it, guys!
Let’s have a look at what
said books are.

BOOKS THAT WILL GET YOU OUT OF A READING SLUMP
1: Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering | If you
like Agatha Christie-lite murder mysteries (or as I like to call them, “cozy
mysteries”), you’d adore this series. Book one is of course the place to start.
Amazon | Goodreads
2: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before By Jenny Han |
EEEPP!! Who watched the Netflix adaptation this past weekend!?! Review is
coming… soonish. Until then, go forth and pick up this novel. It’s one
of the easiest reads (meant in the most complimentary way) you’ll ever own.
Amazon | Goodreads
3: The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord | Only
read this one once and still I’m lovin’ on it. Amazon | Goodreads

4: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie
Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows | Recently read this beauty, and
am still surprised by how well I enjoyed it. It’s a charmer despite its
historical post WWII novel. I admire the authors for taking an unhappy time in
history and turning it into a positive story. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Geek Girl by Holly Smale | This one makes me
smile. That’s reason enough to earn it a prominent place on this list. Amazon |
Goodreads
6: Through Waters Deep by Sarah Sundin | Again,
another WWII set novel, but somehow Sarah’s books are always upbeat and full of
hopeful stories and characters. This one is Nancy Drew-lite with its fun and
romantic cozy mystery vibes! Amazon | Goodreads
7: Lucky in Love by Kasie West | Raise your hand if
you knew I’d work in a Kasie West novel. Amazon | Goodreads

BOOKS I HOPE TAKE ME OUT OF A READER SLUMP
1: P.S. I Still Like You by Jenny Han | Since
‘Boys’ is totally the cutest and sweetest read ever (or ONE Of them), it stands
to reason its sequel will evoke all the same feels. Amazon | Goodreads
2: My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and
Jodi Meadows | I *still* have not read this one despite saying it looks amazing
and so fun. Despite its topic, its creative storytelling looks like precisely
the kind of book to pull a reader out of any slump. Amazon | Goodreads

3: From Twinkle with Love by Sandhya Menon | Oh,
look! It’s yet another author whose books I’ve yet to try! Here’s to hoping
this changes soon. Amazon | Goodreads
4: Airports, Exes and Other Things I’m Over by
Shari Petroff | This is a recent add to my shelf, but it sounds and looks
adorable! In short, I cannot wait to give this one a chance. Amazon | Goodreads
5: Geekerella by Ashley Poston | I mean the title
basically says it all, don’t you think? Plus, it feels like a great book to
read during the autumn season. Amazon | Goodreads
*video publishes Tuesday
afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
There’s my little list of books to pull you out of a reading
slump! (Looking back I realize I could add so many additional authors like
Melissa Tagg, Morgan Matson, Ally Carter, Becky Wade, and on the list grows.) I’m
curious, what do you gravitate towards when you’re in that dreaded slump? Is it
a genre, author or style? Or do you have any methods you use when you’re in a
reading slump? Comment all the thoughts down below. I’d love to read your
opinions on today’s topic.
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland.
PS: before you go…

if you’d like to have Finding Wonderland’s new content
sent to your inbox;
our once (or twice) monthly round up of new content. (In order to be signed up,
you will be asked to confirm via email; if you don’t confirm,
you will not receive the newsletter. Please note, this may also end up in your
spam or trash folder.) If you’d like to have this newsletter sent to your
inbox, you can
enter your email
address
here.
and you can enter the August New Release book giveaway

• Jennilyn August 21, 2018 at 4:35 am

I gravitate towards short and sweet fluff books when I'm trying to get out of a slump. I am eyeing some good fluff recs in your list.

I am a turtle-reader myself. It's nice to meet someone who does not read hundred tons of books a year like me. :)

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 4:45 am

I often feel like I read more than I do. When I put together my "best of" list, I realize I really haven't read that many… but when the majority of them are great reads, that's fine with me. :)

Nice to meet you, Jennilyn, and thanks for visiting.

• Greg August 21, 2018 at 4:41 am

After watching To All the Boys I'm suddenly very curious about Jenny Han's books. It was fun! And Rules of Murder *nods* good stuff.

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 4:46 am

YAY! Glad you liked Jenny's Netlix adaptation, Greg. It's so cute – and I hope you enjoy the books. I'm so excited to read books two and three now. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Lauren Stoolfire August 21, 2018 at 4:53 am

My Lady Jane was so much fun! Hope you enjoy it, Rissi!

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 5:35 am

It looks like it'd be WAY fun. Cannot wait to read it – and thanks for visiting, Lauren. :)

• Brooke Lorren August 21, 2018 at 7:21 am

I have a feeling that "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" is going to be on a lot of lists this week. It sounds like such a sweet book!

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I think so too, Brooke – and it's understandable why! It's such a charming novel. :)

Glad you stopped by.

• ChrissiReads August 21, 2018 at 8:56 am

*raises hand* I knew you'd get Kasie West in! I'm reading Lucky In Love at the moment and I'm enjoying it! My TTT

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Right!? How could I NOT with this week's topic!!! :)

Thanks, as always, for stopping by, Chrissi – and enjoy Lucky in Love.

• Jess @ Jessticulates August 21, 2018 at 8:58 am

Great list! I need to watch To All the Boys I've Loved Before soon. I tried reading the book and unfortunately I couldn't get into it, but I really want to support the adaptation and I think it's the kind of story that will work better for me as a film rather than a book. I'm glad to hear everyone's been enjoying it!

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 6:37 pm

It's so sweet, Jess – but if the story isn't for you, that's totally cool, too. :) I have those kinds of stories too. I tried so hard to get into Before I Fall, but think the film is going to be more my kind of read.

Thanks for visiting!

• Mara August 21, 2018 at 11:05 am

So glad you enjoyed TATBILB as a book and movie, I'm looking forward to your review!! I got My Lady Jane in July and really need to get to it soon because I feel like I'm one of the last people to read it haha
    I've only ever read 2 Kasie West books so I'll add Lucky in Love to my TBR because I can never have too many contemporaries!

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 6:38 pm

I most definitely did, Mara. It's SUCH a sweet story, and now I cannot wait to read books two and three.

My Lady Jane looks like such fun, and I agree. One can never have too many contemporaries!

Thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Maggie August 21, 2018 at 11:12 am

OMG! I love love love Geek Girl! I literally just bought the first of the specials, All Wrapped Up! Smale's books definitely are a lot of fun! I can't wait to read To All the Boys I've Loved Before as well as Lucky in Love – love Kasie West!

• Rissi August 21, 2018 at 6:40 pm

ME TOO!! I adore its quirky heroine and the story. Makes me realize I absolutely NEED to read the rest of the series ASAP. Hope you enjoy Jenny's and Kasie's books, Maggie – and thanks for visiting!

• KB Schollenberger August 21, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Hi! This is my first time on your blog and I was delighted to discover someone else who likes The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Kasie West! I've only read three Kasie Wests, but I've loved each of them. My favorite is Love, Life, and the List.
    I'll be looking forward to reading your review of To All the Boys I've Loved Before. I want to watch it, but I don't have Netflix. :(
    –KB @ http://thissideofstoryland.blogspot.com

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 2:37 am

Hi, KB! Thank you so much for visiting; I'm delighted to have you stop by – and thank you. :)

'Guernsey' is a delight from star to finish. Of course, Kasie West is also a charming author who I always enjoy! I think 'List' was the last of her books that I read, and I thought it was darling. She writes books that are pure sunshine. :)

Bummer! I hope you can see Jenny's movie adaptation soon. It's a delight.

• IloveHeartlandX August 21, 2018 at 1:47 pm

I watched TATBILB on Netflix yesterday and thought it was really cute. I missed Guernsey when it was in cinemas, I'm hoping to catch it when it comes out on DVD as I love the sound of the story but am not sure I'd enjoy the book because I'm not a big fan of epistolary format novels.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/top-ten-tuesday-173/

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 2:42 am

Isn't it darling!? I probably wore a silly grin the whole time. :)

As for 'Guernsey,' it too is lovely – and it is on Netflix as well. Let me know what you think! As a rule, I don't seek out epistolary novels, but I've read two and both have been FANTASTIC! :)

Thanks for visiting, as always.

• Angela August 21, 2018 at 2:45 pm

My Lady Jane was such a fun, whimsical read, I think that would be a perfect pick to get out of a reading slump!

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 2:51 am

It seems like it'd be exactly the kind of read that could pull a reader out of a slump. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Angela.

• Brittaney August 21, 2018 at 5:18 pm

I will join you in your shame because I have not read My Lady Jane yet either. I've owned it for a while too and come close to starting it a couple of times now.

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 2:56 am

*high five* Thank you, Brittaney. Glad not to be alone. But it sure does LOOK way fun, right?! :)

Thanks for visiting!!

• Ashley Sapp August 21, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Sarah Sundin is one of my favorites. Nobody does WWII fiction like she does!

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 3:11 am

Me too, Ashley! So. Good. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Paula August 21, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Sarah Sundin is a very favorite author. When in a slump, I go for mystery/suspense. Drew Farthering is also a very favorite series! I am reading Lady Jayne Disappears by Joanna Politano. It is excellent and not what I expected! A very fresh perspective.

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 3:13 am

Her books are so good, aren't they!? Hope you're enjoying 'Lady Jayne.'

I think I go for contemporary reads since it's my favorite genre. :)

Appreciate you visiting, Paula.

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense August 21, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I haven't read From Twinkle yet either, but I have a feeling it's going to be really cute and addicting.

• Rissi August 22, 2018 at 3:15 am

It looks so cute, though right!? Like you, I think it'll be addicting. :)

Thanks for visiting, Alicia.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads August 21, 2018 at 6:53 pm

I love the fluffy, cute books for getting out of a slump!
    To All The Boys I've Loved Before — aah the movie was soooo cute <3 just like the books :) Kasie West usually does the trick as well. And I loved Geekerella too!

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 5:54 am

Me too – and I love them in general ALL THE TIME, too. :)

Right?!! I'm still thinking about the Netflix adaptation nearly a week later. SUCH a good movie. Also, we need a Kasie West Netflix movie, too!! :)

Thanks for visiting, Lindsey.

• Anne Bennett August 21, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I love MY LADY JANE. I laughed my way through it. Hope it helps! My TTT list

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 5:55 am

Thanks, Anne – and I do too. My Lady Jane seems like a REALLY good get-out-of-a-reading-slump kind of read. :)

Appreciate you stopping by. Thanks!

• Kelly August 21, 2018 at 8:27 pm

My Lady Jane is unusual and goofy and I can see it being really helpful getting out of a reading slump!

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 5:55 am

Good to know! I love a goofy read. :)

Thanks for visiting, Kelly.

• Bookish Realm August 21, 2018 at 10:26 pm

You've included some of the same books as me this week! haha To All the Boys I Loved Before is definitely a good one to get anybody out of a reading slump.

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 5:56 am

YAY! Gotta' love discovering shared favorites. Right? Jenny's popular novel is easy to love – and the movie felt like falling in love with these characters all over again. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• AJ Sterkel August 21, 2018 at 10:48 pm

I haven’t read any of these, but the Potato Peel book has been on a lot of lists today. It must be good.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 5:58 am

It's SO good, AJ! Hope if you ever decide to give this one a chance that you enjoy. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Hamlette August 21, 2018 at 11:03 pm

I love choices 1 and 4!

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 5:59 am

Both fantastic and beautiful reads!! :)

Thanks for stopping by, Rachel; always good to chat with you.

• Megan August 22, 2018 at 5:28 am

I loved Geekerella so I hope you enjoy it, too! And I do enjoy Agatha Christie's writing style so I will have to check out your recommendation :)

Megan – My Top Ten Tuesday

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 6:00 am

Thanks, Megan. I do hope I enjoy it too – and it "feels" like it'd be a great autumn read. :)

YAY! I hope you enjoy if you give the novel a chance. Thanks so much for visiting.

• Eve August 22, 2018 at 11:33 am

OMG Yes for To All the Boys! I loved it and so very true it is that in the best possible way. And yes I watched the movie the night it came out because I have 0 impulse control lol and I don't need sleep! I thought it was adorable though of course the book had way more and was better still it was cute and people who hadn't read the book can love it too! I hope you love the sequel as well I just finished all three books this year and loved them!

• Rissi August 25, 2018 at 6:04 am

I cannot wait to read the read of Jenny's books, Eve. Even her 'Summer' trilogy is high on my must because it looks all kinds of cute! Here's hoping. So glad you too enjoyed the film. I thought it was all kinds of adorable and cannot wait to re-watch it – which I know I'll do often. :D

Thanks so much for visiting!!