Top Ten Tuesday | Books About Study Abroad Sure to Charm

August 28, 2018 34 Comments
Hey, Top Ten Tuesday-ers! Today’s another fun edition of the popular meme and this time around, we head back to school.
That Artsy Reader Girl August 28: Back to School/Learning Freebie

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

So, the range of topics today is endless. I suspect some of us went with the more scholarly topic (nothing wrong with this) while others took the lighter approach. Since I’m all about finding books sure to make me smile and happy, of course, I went with the latter approach. Specifically I go with the topic of “study abroad.”
Some of these stretch the topic a little bit since they are more about summer trips and the like, but still… most involve students spending time abroad for school. So that’s what
counts, right? We’ll call it a win methinks.
(Off topic, but speaking of summer – can you believe this weekend is Labor Day weekend?! Like whaat!?)
This list includes books I have read and books I want to read, or am at least curious about, and want you guys to tell me “yay” or “nay” on. Let’s have a look.

Books About Study Abroad Sure to Charm

1: Blonde Ops by Charlotte Bernando & Natalie Zaman | This one has been on my shelf for way too long. I mean, the question I need to ask is: why?! It’s got travel (win!) and a fun hacker heroine plot (win!) so why the delay? Amazon | Goodreads
2: Espionage and Etiquette by Gail Carringer | This series is one that’s been on my list for a billion years. Its main appeal is the steampunk elements which I hope visualize to be akin to BBC’s Going Postal or Emerald City. Amazon | Goodreads

3: All Fall Down by Ally Carter | Though this one doesn’t fit exactly, it works “good enough” in my book, plus I really enjoyed the story, and this is the first (plus only!) novel by Ally I’ve read. Definitely want to read more by her! Amazon | Goodreads

4: Romancing the Throne by Nadine Jolie Courtney | This one has been on my shelf (as several have been) for a while now. It sounds really cute, plus takes place in Britain, so it feels like a good fit. Amazon | Goodreads
5: In a Perfect World by Trish Doller | This one is more of a summer trip story, but the plot does mention school, so we’re going with it. Ironically, I started one of Trish’s novels once, and DNF’d it, but something about this one makes me curious. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Love, Lucy by April Lindner | This is another “summer” backpack trip about a girl prior to her freshman year in college. It sounds fun, and the cover is SO cute… hence I include it on today’s list. (Plus it’s one I’ve considered reading.) Amazon | Goodreads

7: There You’ll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones | One of my forever favorites that someday I simply must re-read. Love the characters and the Irish setting. In other words, this one is perfection. Amazon | Goodreads

8: Wonderlost by Jen Malone | Another book that’s been on my shelf for way too long! Why, I don’t know. I mean, it sounds adorable even if it is more of a summer romance story. Amazon | Goodreads

9: Hello, I Love You by Katie M. Stout | It’s been quite some time since I read this one, but as I recall, it’s super cute. Gotta’ love a fun overseas romance – and those of you who like K-pop would probably find this one charming. Amazon | Goodreads

10: My Oxford Year by Julia Whelen | I’ve seen this one everywhere recently (or so it seems). This is why it earns a spot on today’s list (oh, the popularity “curse”) plus it’s been optioned as a film, and that’s always this which grabs a reader’s attention. Amazon | Goodreads

*video publishes Tuesday
afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
Tell me, who here is about to or has started back to school? I’m through with those days, but it’s fun to revisit them in books! Which of these have you read? How did you spin the topic today? I’m curious to read all the bookish (or non-bookish) thoughts you have. Drop a comment (or two) below if you like!
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces.
Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.
PS: before you go…

if you’d like to have Finding Wonderland’s new content sent to your inbox; sign up for
the once (or twice) monthly round up of new content. (In order to be signed up,
you will be asked to confirm via email; if you don’t confirm,
you will not receive the newsletter. Please note, this may also end up in your
spam or trash folder.) If you’d like to have this newsletter sent to your
inbox, you can
enter your email address here.

• Anne Bennett August 28, 2018 at 4:25 am

Study Abroad. Good topic. Wish I thought of this one. School related TTT

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 4:27 am

It is fun, isn't it!? Especially when a reader enjoys armchair adventures! :)

Thanks for visiting, Anne!

• Greg August 28, 2018 at 6:00 am

I can NOT believe this weekend is Labor Day. Just establishing THAT at the outset ha ha. Okay, the books. :) I love the idea of the steampunk elements so the Carriger books definitely sound awesome. School plus steampunkery? Yes please. Wanderlost and My Oxford Year sound great too.

Happy Tuesday!!

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Right!? I'm sitting here and seriously wondering WHERE DID SUMMER GO!? It feels like I didn't really enjoy it like I wanted to. But oh well! That's the "speed of life" or something!

Don't Gail's books sound great? They've been on my shelf for WAY too long so here's hoping I actually read them – soonish. I've seen Julia's books pop up in lots of Youtube and/or IG videos/posts, so I'm curious. Plus there's a film being adapted, so that has me even more curious!

Thanks for visiting, Greg. As always.

• ChrissiReads August 28, 2018 at 7:06 am

What a wonderful take on the list, Rissi! I'm looking forward to getting back to teaching next week. I've certainly missed it over the summer. I hope you get to read these books soon.

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Thanks, Chrissi. It's always fun to visit everyone else's posts and see how they put together the topic. :)

Glad you're anticipating a return to teaching. Hope it's a smooth and easy return for you.

Thanks for visiting, as always.

• IloveHeartlandX August 28, 2018 at 10:19 am

I'll be starting back to Uni in a couple of weeks, so I used this week's topic to talk about the books I'm wanting to read this semester at Uni.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/28/top-ten-tuesday-174/

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:32 pm

How fun! I hope you enjoy all of the books you plan to read this semester – and best of luck with your return. :)

Appreciate you stopping by.

• Jess @ Jessticulates August 28, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Great list! Etiquette & Espionage is on my TBR and I'm hoping to get to it soon as I should be finishing the Parasol Protectorate series this week and I need more Gail Carriger.

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:36 pm

YAY! Glad you enjoy Gail's books, Jess. :) They sound so unique and fun.

Appreciate you stopping by!!

• Poinsettia August 28, 2018 at 1:48 pm

I can't believe how quickly Summer has gone by! I haven't read any of these, but I do enjoy books with travel in them so I'll have to check some of these out. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Right!? It's crazy.

Hope you find a read or two to enjoy – and thanks for visiting!! :)

• Brooke Lorren August 28, 2018 at 3:17 pm

I haven't had the chance to read any of these yet, but I like your take on this topic.

My dd stared school over a week ago, and our homeschool coop started last week. We don't officially start school with ds until next Wednesday.

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Thanks, Brooke! :)

Best of luck with the return to school; it's always a bit of a shock to get back into that routine, isn't it?

Appreciate you visiting!

• KB Schollenberger August 28, 2018 at 4:32 pm

I started school yesterday, so I decided not to do TTT this week. It's enough to keep up with everyone else's! I'm excited to start reading Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, for my creative writing course.
    –KB @ This Side of Storyland

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:50 pm

I 100% understand this, KB. I like to take a week off now and again too – sometimes just because. :)

Hope you enjoy your next up read. Creative writing sounds fun! Best of luck with this course, and the rest of your classes, too.

Appreciate you taking the time to stop in today. :)

• Megan August 28, 2018 at 4:41 pm

This is a great topic :) I automatically thought of children's books because my son starts preschool next week. There are quite a few books on your list that I want to read! Thanks for the recommendations :)

Megan – Ginger Mom and the Kindle Quest

• Rissi August 28, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Thanks, Megan. I could have listed favorite reads from my childhood, but didn't. Perhaps another time. Hope you enjoy the books you think sound good if/when you decide to read them. :)

Thanks for visiting!!

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads August 28, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Fun topic! I love reading about studying abroad but I haven't read any of these yet. Romancing the Throne sounds so cute though :)

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:47 am

It's fun to read an armchair adventure – especially for me who never travels. :D

Doesn't 'Throne' sound cute!? I love a good cute read.

Thanks for visiting, Lindsey. :)

• Captivated Reader August 28, 2018 at 7:53 pm

I haven't read any of the books in your post this week… All new ones to explore!

Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/08/top-ten-tuesday-back-to-schoollearning.html

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:47 am

Always fun to discover potential new reads. Thanks for visiting! :)

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense August 28, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I've never read any of these, but your topic makes me think I should check out more books with characters who study abroad.

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:49 am

It's always fun to go on an armchair book adventure, right!? :)

Thanks for visiting, Alicia.

• Tracy August 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Great list!! I love your take! I haven't read any of these, but Romancing the Throne and All Fall Down sound fantastic!

Here are my Top Ten!

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:50 am

I agree about 'Throne,' and I really enjoyed All Fall Down. It's so entertaining. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Tracy.

• Shannon/ It Starts at Midnight August 29, 2018 at 1:29 am

Wanderlosttttt! SUCH a fave, you must read it! If it doesn't make you want to hop on plane, nothing will haha. The others I haven't read yet, but I am glad you liked All Fall Down because I think I own it! In a Perfect World looks really good too, and I have heard good things. Love your take on this topic!

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:52 am

Ahhh!!! Shannon, I'm so glad to know Wanderlost is a favorite. I've thought it sounded cute for a long time now, but as of yet, I just haven't read it. Must remedy this soon.

I liked All Fall Down as a really entertaining read (plus it's the first by Ally I've read). I agree! 'World' looks so interesting. :)

Glad you visited.

• Lauren Stoolfire August 31, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Carriger is so much fun. Great list!

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:52 am

YAY! SO glad to know this, Lauren. Thanks for saying so – and for visiting! :)

• MJSH September 2, 2018 at 1:33 am

Hmm. Haven’t read any of those books you’ve listed….

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:54 am

Always fun to discover possible new reads. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Jaime Lester September 3, 2018 at 2:45 am

I have not read a single one of these.. I think I need to change that!

• Rissi September 4, 2018 at 3:54 am

Fun! Hope if you pick any of these up that you enjoy, Jaime. :)

Thanks for visiting.