Top Ten Tuesday | A Mash Up of Two Bookish Worlds

August 7, 2018 33 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | A Mash Up of Two Bookish Worlds

Hey, hey fellow book nerds! Welcome back to Finding
Wonderland. I’m so glad you made this space one of your Top Ten Tuesday stops.
Let’s take a look at today’s topic.
That Artsy Reader Girl August 7: Books You’d Mash Together (pick two books you think would make an epic story
if combined
) (Submitted by Rissi @
Finding Wonderland)

(This post does contain
affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost to you, I may receive a small
commission if you make a purchase through a link. Read the
disclosure page for
details.)
Despite
this being an idea I thought sounded epic (and fun), as I sit down to put this
post together, my bookish mind draws a blank. This is perhaps what I get for
not better thinking this through. Or jotting down notes – like what books did I
have in mind at the time? what books DO sound like epic mash-ups!?
Alas,
my mind remains a blank canvas.
In
the spirit of today’s theme, today’s list is all over the place (aka it gets
the mix up treatment) wherein I talk about a few mashups I’ve yet to see happen,
a few that already have (and I hope these are epic) and general author/style
mashups!
Jane Austen meets Kasie West | Though Kasie West has written many YA-lite
novels that mirror (in certain respects) Austen-esque themes, who else thinks
she’d write a dynamic contemporary Austen series!? Her style seems ideally
suited to these stories. Amazon | Goodreads

Mash Up of Two Bookish Worlds

Top Ten Tuesday

P+P+Z by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith meets Northanger Abbey by Jane
Austen | Though I did (much to my surprise) enjoy Pride and Prejudice and
Zombies
, who here thinks it’s Catherine Morland who’d actually slay in this
world!??
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen meets Spies (Spies and Prejudice by Talia
Vance) | This mashup has already happened thanks to Talia’s Spies and
Prejudice
. Because I mean really, who else things Lizzy Bennet would be a
rock star in the spy game!? I mean I love spy movies, and I love Pride and Prejudice, so basically this mash up is a must-read.
Pride and Prejudice: Amazon | GoodreadsPride and Prejudice on Amazon Video ▪ Spies
and Prejudice: Amazon | Goodreads

Mash Up of Two Bookish Worlds

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas meets Steampunk! | Because, why
not
? Don’t you think Edmund’s brooding hero would fit into the steampunk
era nicely? I like to think so. Amazon | Goodreads
The Count of Monte Cristo on Amazon Video
Wait for Me by Caroline Leech meets Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte | This pair
is kind of weird (but that’s part of the charm of today’s topic, right?) since
I’ve read neither one of these books. However, as I put this list together, for
some reason seeing the Jane Eyre story told during the 1940s (which is
the timeframe for Wait for Me) sounds like the potential for a great
story.
Wait for Me: Amazon | Goodreads ▪ Jane Eyre Book: Amazon | GoodreadsJane Eyre on Amazon Video

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday

6: Hushed by Joanne McGregor
meets Unblemished by Sara Ella | Recently I began to read Hushed, a contemporary Little
Mermaid
re-telling that strips away all of the magic. This is an idea I
like and in fact wouldn’t wish to see changed, but do wish Hushed had a better fairytale voice like Sara Ella’s Unblemished.
Hushed: Amazon | Goodreads ▪ Unblemished: Amazon | Goodreads
Mash-Up Book Talk: In my head
swirls the thoughts that any of Charles Dickens stories would rock the steampunk era. They already
have that kind of dark brooding vibe, so why not see them in the creative and
Gothic-esque world of steampunk? Who else thinks Bleak House would be cool as a steampunk story?

Also, who’d like to see some kind of mashup of North and South (the British story)? I’m not sure how I imagine this one being creatively blended with x-story, but I think a different era (but is still historical) is the only way to go. Mashing it with a contemporary story or setting wouldn’t net the same results.
*video publishes Tuesday afternoon;
channel linked above
 ____________
What mash ups would you create? Name
two stories you’d like to see combined! How’d you spin this topic? I’ve love to
see all of your thoughts. Comment below with your made-up bookish worlds.
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland.

• Greg August 7, 2018 at 4:59 am

Jane Austen meets Kasie West- what a cool mashup! The classical plus the super fun modern. And a steampunk Count of Monte cristo? Wow. Yes please.

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 6:06 am

Wouldn't JA and Kasie be a perfect match up!? I feel like Kasie's style would suit the awesomeness of JA very well. :)

YAY! Glad you agree on 'Cristo' in a steampunk world.

Thanks for visiting, Greg.

• Prototype_SR04 August 7, 2018 at 5:19 am

I had so much fun doing this topic this week, but it was a tough one for me too. Congrats (and thank you) for picking such a fun one!

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 6:05 am

It was lots of fun for me too! I feel bad I didn't put together a more complete list because I did enjoy it. I just didn't give myself enough time. Thanks for visiting. :)

• ChrissiReads August 7, 2018 at 6:53 am

I loved the idea of this list but I did find it incredibly tricky, so I adapted it! Kasie West and Jane Austen would be a fascinating combination! My TTT

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Right? Kasie's voice is always so "cute" and wholesome, and Jane Austen's got that perfect-hero and feisty-heroine down pat. I'd love to see Kasie write an Austen re-telling. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Chrissi.

• Brooke Lorren August 7, 2018 at 7:04 am

I had a hard time doing book mashups, so I wrote about different universes you could put books into (that's a similar kind of theme, right?). I actually did write a novella last month (working on perfecting the final draft on it) where I threw Day and June from Legend into Divergent's Chicago. I did that for a challenge last month.

I like your idea of the Dickens/Dumas combining with steampunk though.

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday: http://www.brookereviewsnsweeps.com/2018/08/alternate-universes-for-books-top-ten-tuesday/

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:31 pm

How fun! Let me know if your novella is ever anywhere it can be bought. I'd definitely pick up a copy. :)

YAY for a fellow Dickens or Dumas fun and the steampunk era. Something about their stories suggests they'd fit well with the unique genre. Plus, who writes more unique characters (and unforgettable!!) than Dickens?

Thanks so much for visiting, Brooke.

• Verushka Byrow August 7, 2018 at 10:49 am

You're so right, this topic is made for all sorts of weird! This is scuh a creative mix of books!

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:27 pm

The more creative the story, the more fun it is to think of ways to mash it with other ideas. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses) August 7, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Interesting combinations! So many worlds can be combined, haha.
    Here is our TTT: https://thebookdutchesses.com/2018/08/07/ttt-39-books-youd-mash-together/

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Right? Lots of fun potential there.

Thanks for visiting, Isabelle. :)

• Katie's Cottage August 7, 2018 at 12:48 pm

The Count of Monte Cristo meets Steampunk! Good idea. Love it! :)

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Doesn't it sound fun!? :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Poinsettia August 7, 2018 at 2:13 pm

I've never read Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, but it I think it sounds as if it would mix well with Northanger Abbey. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:24 pm

It's a fun albeit silly story. But one I liked a GREAT deal more than I thought. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Hallie Szott August 7, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Love the Count of Monte Cristo idea! I'd totally read that.

Hallie @ Book by Book

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Right!? Doesn't it sound fun? I love the idea of a new BBC Count of Monte Cristo despite the fact that I do adore the 2000s version. :)

Thanks for visiting, Hallie.

• Brittaney August 7, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Ha ha! I love that even you had trouble with your own idea. I actually thought this week's prompt would be more difficult, but when I sat down my trouble was in limiting my list. I would love to see a good mashup of North and South, maybe with Jane Eyre. Rochester could teach Thornton a thing or two about teasing a confession of interest out of Margaret. I think Margaret and Jane would be instant friends, which is something Jane needs. I can also see Rochester being a great business partner for Thornton's mills.

• Rissi August 7, 2018 at 7:22 pm

I sure did! ;) Though I think it's more that I didn't give myself enough time. I always come "down to the wire" in putting these together despite my best intentions. :)

YES! I'm so glad you had fun with this one. Aw, yes! I love that Jane would have a friend in Margaret. I agree. Girl does need solid friends. Poor thing had such a rough life, but I'm glad she found Thornton and Adele.

Thanks for visiting – and sharing your lovely ideas. :)

• Lauren Stoolfire August 8, 2018 at 12:50 am

Monte Cristo and steampunk – love it!

• Rissi August 8, 2018 at 1:15 am

Doesn't it sound cool and fun!? Edmund would be epic in a steampunk setting methinks. :D

Glad you visited, Lauren.

• Tracy August 8, 2018 at 1:24 am

Great job on this post! I would definitely read your number 4!

• Rissi August 8, 2018 at 3:08 am

Doesn't seeing Edmund in a steampunk era sound fun!? Plus, I don't see many – or any, re-tellings of The Count of Monte Cristo. :)

Thanks for visiting, Tracy.

• Megan August 8, 2018 at 7:02 am

I have the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book but didn't know it was a movie, as well! Thanks for pointing that out to me :) And Edmund in any era is perfect!

Megan – Ginger Mom and the Kindle Quest

• Rissi August 8, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Isn't that awesome!? The book and film are lots of fun despite my first impressions of NOT liking the story. :)

You say it best: Edmund in any era is THE best.

Thanks so much for visiting, Megan.

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense August 12, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I absolutely adore Spies and Prejudice. I do wish we had gotten a sequel…

• Rissi August 14, 2018 at 3:54 am

YAY! So glad to know you enjoyed this one, Alicia. Makes me more curious. :)

Thanks, as always, for visiting.

• Cora Ruskin August 13, 2018 at 9:15 am

Catherine Morland could handle zombies, no question. As you can see from my list https://corastillwrites.wordpress.com/ I reckon she'd be a badass vampire hunter too.

• Rissi August 14, 2018 at 3:59 am

Right? She seems an ideal fit for this kind of world I think. :)

Appreciate you visiting, Cora.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads August 13, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Ok, now I REALLY need that Kasie West/Jane Austen mashup to happen, because that would be AMAZING! Wonderful ideas, Rissi!

• Rissi August 14, 2018 at 4:00 am

RIGHT!? How fun does this sound!? :) Glad you too understand this mash up, Lindsey. Thanks for visiting!

• Calvin F. September 1, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Interesting I'd make a harry potter mash up with some detective series